Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #241
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Has anyone seen Chris Brown run? I was looking over some of his footage and looks to me alot of his reasons for getting hurt are due to his aggressiveness in his runs. Dude does lower his head and takes a hit, and has shown some resilience in his running. Take the Simmons hit, which I feel is what kept Chris Brown from being better, he put his head down and got hurt but he wasn't scared.
actually his lack of lowering his head leads to many of his injuries. Many upright running styles lead to more injuries for backs. You always hear coaches talking about "getting behind your pads".....Brown runs fairly high for a rb.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #242
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You guys "pretending" that this might work out, and that we might get such-and-such out of Chris Brown....well, continue to delude yourselves. If it makes you feel good about this team's pathetic running back situation...then take the drug and be happy.
Curious, what divine knowledge do you pocess that leads you to KNOW that this is a bad signing?

It might be, it might not. But just because people do not agree with you does not make them deluding pretenders...
Old 03-14-2008   #243
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Texans fans love that clip (and it is good hit) but Brown came back into that game while Simmons was out for several games afterwards.
He might have come back in that game, but if I remember correctly he missed a game or two after due to a slight shoulder separation.
Old 03-14-2008   #244
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Curious, what divine knowledge do you pocess that leads you to KNOW that this is a bad signing?

It might be, it might not. But just because people do not agree with you does not make them deluding pretenders...
Malloy, don't go there, GP thought Carr was great, thinks Kubes is a bad coach and is transitional, thinks Sage is a savior and many other things.

As far the situation. There is nothing not to like. We didn't break the bank for the guy. He was coached up in Colorado's system by Gibbs when he was with Denver. He is probably the most talented back we have now. I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.
Old 03-14-2008   #245
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I am sorry did you see the contracts being thrown out for guys who suck like (Hate to say this) Julius Jones who is not one the field in the 4th quarter or on those tough downs and you would like the Texans to throw shit loads of cash for that? That would like promising a bunch of folks a very good bluesish rock band and giving the Hanson (I dont give a rats ass about what they are trying to portray with there so called new sound). It is just not only stupid but it does nothing to help this team get better by strapping a wad of cash to guys who suck, when you can sign someone who is good when healthy to a low dollar high reward contract.

TC, will conrrect me if I am wrong but didn;t they call Marvin Harrisons injury a bone bruise just like they did Green? He sat out 7 or 8 weeks and did not play and practice hard and he came back for the last playoff game and was atrocious and he was on the sidelines during the last drive. So please get off about the injury unless you will say the same things about Marvin harrison.
It's not often you get to mix in football and Hanson in the same post. Bravo, sir.
Old 03-14-2008   #246
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.
It might very well play out like that, sounds plausible to me at least.
Old 03-14-2008   #247
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
actually his lack of lowering his head leads to many of his injuries. Many upright running styles lead to more injuries for backs. You always hear coaches talking about "getting behind your pads".....Brown runs fairly high for a rb.
Eric Dickerson

This probably ain't about Brown anyway, but I always wondered when I was a kid and they bragged about Dickerson running with his knees so high--what about him getting his shoulder pads (head) down? I know he didn't run with his head between his legs.

Since I brought it up, does Brown get his knees high?

Brown is someone I've been REAL impressed with when I saw him play, but I'm clueless about how bad the injury problems may be.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #248
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Malloy, don't go there, GP thought Carr was great, thinks Kubes is a bad coach and is transitional, thinks Sage is a savior and many other things.

As far the situation. There is nothing not to like. We didn't break the bank for the guy. He was coached up in Colorado's system by Gibbs when he was with Denver. He is probably the most talented back we have now. I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.
That's what I was thinking as soon as I heard they were looking at Brown.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #249
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Eric Dickerson

This probably ain't about Brown anyway, but I always wondered when I was a kid and they bragged about Dickerson running with his knees so high--what about him getting his shoulder pads (head) down? I know he didn't run with his head between his legs.

Since I brought it up, does Brown get his knees high?

Brown is someone I've been REAL impressed with when I saw him play, but I'm clueless about how bad the injury problems may be.
I think Dickerson was 6'3" also...he was not a normal run of the mill back and I haven't seen anyone like him since him. Calvin Hill also ran well and he ran bolt upright. Brown has good cut and run ability. He should do well here when healthy.

Old 03-14-2008   #250
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Dickerson was 6'3" also...he was not a normal run of the mill back and I haven't seen anyone like him since him. Calvin Hill also ran well and he ran bolt upright. Brown has good cut and run ability. He should do well here when healthy.
Paying Brown and treating Brown like he's only a small piece of the puzzle mitigates the injury issue. He has played in at least 11 games each of his 5 seasons. So, he's not broken down, he's just likely to miss some time. With Green, Taylor, Walker and/or a rookie, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. One thing Kubes has learned the first two seasons is to not count on anybody's health.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #251
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
That's what I was thinking as soon as I heard they were looking at Brown.
Yup. I mean as it is now..it is a cluster...is Green healthy..did we get a good look at Taylor before his injury...Dayne is slow and not a breakaway guy but he has done well for him...etc, etc. With how I laid it out, you definitely have upgraded and you pretty much have a pecking order without the question marks.
Old 03-14-2008   #252
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

We had an awful team when Capers left. Nothing worked.

Kubiak and staff have done a great job at stabilizing our passing game.

What is it, about the running back situation, that's been so difficult for them to solve? Outside of Domanick Davis (which was a total surprise, btw) we have not had a true running back--In fact, DD was pretty good, but not a game-changer...he was a guy who grinded out yards, picked up what was needed to keep the chains moving, and rescued David Carr over and over. And I understand that Taylor came on strong at the end of the 06 season, was looking like he might be able to take the job over, but had the season-ender in camp in 07.

I'm not even a Warrick Dunn fan, but Warrick Dunn (to me) made more sense than Chris Brown. Warrick is amazingly durable, was with Gibbs, and had to be a better option than Chris Brown (regardless of contract details).

All I have to say is that I will be watching on draft day to see what positions are drafted. Gruden is stockpiling QBs and we make fun of him for it...but we're stockpiling RBs and it's OK to a lot of fans. If that's not being a blinded homer for our team, then nothing is.

If you have to stock a position as deep as we are, with RBs, then doesn't it really say "we don't know how to scout and evaluate RBs...let's just get a whole bunch of them and see how it all works out..."?

Because I have felt, over the past two seasons, that Kubiak doesn't know running back talent. It has felt like he's just nabbing players and throwing them out there to see what sticks. That's bad for the timing and continuity of the o-line.

I hope Gibbs is still a miracle worker.
Old 03-14-2008   #253
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Browns running style reminds me more of OJ Simpson. When he was playing.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #254
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

All I have to say is that I will be watching on draft day to see what positions are drafted. Gruden is stockpiling QBs and we make fun of him for it...but we're stockpiling RBs and it's OK to a lot of fans. If that's not being a blinded homer for our team, then nothing is.

As soon as teams start switching over to the Quarterback by committee offense in the NFL we can stop poking fun at Gruden for his QB grubbing ways. Many of the most successful running games in the league have atleast 2 good backs to carry the load, and considering the beating those guys take I won't complain about having too many backs.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #255
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What is it, about the running back situation, that's been so difficult for them to solve? Outside of Domanick Davis (which was a total surprise, btw) we have not had a true running back--In fact, DD was pretty good, but not a game-changer...he was a guy who grinded out yards, picked up what was needed to keep the chains moving, and rescued David Carr over and over. And I understand that Taylor came on strong at the end of the 06 season, was looking like he might be able to take the job over, but had the season-ender in camp in 07.

I'm not even a Warrick Dunn fan, but Warrick Dunn (to me) made more sense than Chris Brown. Warrick is amazingly durable, was with Gibbs, and had to be a better option than Chris Brown (regardless of contract details).

If you have to stock a position as deep as we are, with RBs, then doesn't it really say "we don't know how to scout and evaluate RBs...let's just get a whole bunch of them and see how it all works out..."?

Because I have felt, over the past two seasons, that Kubiak doesn't know running back talent. It has felt like he's just nabbing players and throwing them out there to see what sticks. That's bad for the timing and continuity of the o-line.

You're totally missing it! As you said, the team was awful two years ago. In addition it lost DDavis. So, the job for this staff in two seasons has been to totally repair the offensive and defensive lines, find a QB, compliment AJ, find a TE, build a LB unit, build a secondary around Dunta, and find a RB. Oh, and also teach this team how to win.

As if all of that wasn't difficult enough, they've been in cap hell because of ridiculous decisions made by the previous regime. They've successful done almost all of that list despite the cap predicament. Limited resources hasn't allowed them to do it all. RB is a position that has suffered. Last year's FA market was barron.... It was basically AGreen or Henry. They chose Green. They haven't used anything more than a 6th round pick on a RB and he didn't work out. However, in addition to two modest veteran signings: Green and Brown, they have two promising Undrafted Free Agents that may make an impact this year.

My point is, it's not that they've missed on evaluations of RBs, it's that they've been unable to spend resources on them yet.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #256
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Seriously?

You think it plays out in a way where those two guys are spelling each other? Goodness, look at Chris Brown's attendance record. Please. He's just all of a sudden going to change? No way, man. I'll take the other side of your theory and say that Darius Walker and Chris Taylor will be the ones switching in and out.

Two years in a row we have taken a gamble on a talented runner who won't be healthy enough to make a lasting contribution. And two years in a row, people are trying to rationalize and justify it.

At least with my support of Carr, there was some reasoning behind it: Could Kubiak reform David Carr in a new system...could he do what he did with other QBs?" In addition, I am not in love with Sage as you have tried to paint it: I want an open competition and a chance for the QB to win the job and to not be crowned AS HAPPENED WITH DAVID CARR. For all of the times you try to say that I lie and distort facts, you sure spend a lot of time doing the same thing to me.

Two years in a row we have posters who parrot each other and pat each other on the back in regards to us signing a worthless running back. This must be Chris Brown's last stop in the NFL for as cheap as he signed.

And, I guess we'll all be scrambling on the football websites (and this one, too) on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings...trying to find out whether Ahman or Brown is the one playing on Sunday. Is that how you want to spend your time? Trying to find out who's healthy enough to play each Sunday?

(A) Taylor had a knee issue. Is it OK? Will it aggrevate and bench him?

(B) Ahman lasts exactly three plays in each game before getting banged up.

(C) Chris Brown is a total enigma, splitting time with Henry and White.

(D) That leaves Darius Walker who was cut, re-signed, and didn't look too bad in the limited time he had with us at the end of the season. From the posts I saw, I didn't see too many people with high hopes for him. I was not anticipating anything special from him.

Our running back situation is far from being stable. Not even with a RBBC situation. Sorry to be the pessimist (again). If you guys would level out your pie-in-the-sky outlooks on the perpetually awful condition of our running back crew, then I'd shut up. But there's just not a level of honesty going on here, with yourselves and with the others on the board, in terms of how bad it is. It's not good. Period. Gibbs and LUCK will save us.
Old 03-14-2008   #257
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not even a Warrick Dunn fan, but Warrick Dunn (to me) made more sense than Chris Brown. Warrick is amazingly durable, was with Gibbs, and had to be a better option than Chris Brown (regardless of contract details).What makes you think Dunn wanted to even come here? He sure seemed to sign with Tampa pretty quick. And besides that he is old.

All I have to say is that I will be watching on draft day to see what positions are drafted. Gruden is stockpiling QBs and we make fun of him for it...but we're stockpiling RBs and it's OK to a lot of fans. If that's not being a blinded homer for our team, then nothing is. Its called upgrading talent. As much as people like Walker and Taylor, one of those guys will not be on the roster come opening day.

If you have to stock a position as deep as we are, with RBs, then doesn't it really say "we don't know how to scout and evaluate RBs...let's just get a whole bunch of them and see how it all works out..."?Since when have we ever been deep at Running back?

Because I have felt, over the past two seasons, that Kubiak doesn't know running back talent. It has felt like he's just nabbing players and throwing them out there to see what sticks. That's bad for the timing and continuity of the o-line. Who in the last 2 seasons would you have brought in instead of the guys that we did?

Brown's contract says backup to me. And that being said, I have no understanding as to why a backup signing has you so pissed. If you want to be pissed after they draft a RB then fine, but hold off until then.

And aswer peoples questions for once. Alot of people on here ask you legitimate questions that you just blow off by continuing to repeat the rant that you started off with, and the adding nothing else to the discussion. I think for the most part we would all tolerate your specific brand of pessimism, if you didnt talk down to people so much, and just assume that you opinion is the only right one.

By the way saying that you want to fist fight people that think this is a good signing (which I do, for what it is) is rediculuos. Get over yourself. You act like you are 13 instead of 31 sometimes.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #258
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm willing to give Gibbs his chance to prove everyone wrong. unfortunately we have to wait 5-6 months for the season to start, thats 5-6 months to beat each other up

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #259
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You're totally missing it! As you said, the team was awful two years ago. In addition it lost DDavis. So, the job for this staff in two seasons has been to totally repair the offensive and defensive lines, find a QB, compliment AJ, find a TE, build a LB unit, build a secondary around Dunta, and find a RB. Oh, and also teach this team how to win.

As if all of that wasn't difficult enough, they've been in cap hell because of ridiculous decisions made by the previous regime. They've successful done almost all of that list despite the cap predicament. Limited resources hasn't allowed them to do it all. RB is a position that has suffered. Last year's FA market was barron.... It was basically AGreen or Henry. They chose Green. They haven't used anything more than a 6th round pick on a RB and he didn't work out. However, in addition to two modest veteran signings: Green and Brown, they have two promising Undrafted Free Agents that may make an impact this year.

My point is, it's not that they've missed on evaluations of RBs, it's that they've been unable to spend resources on them yet.
There's not enough drafts, for Kubiak, to obtain everything that Capers/Casserly tainted--Kubiak is squarely behind an 8-ball here. Kubiak (an offense-minded guy) has been pretty gracious to concede two straight years of 1st rounders on defense (Mario and Amobi), where it was needed the most.

But how much you want to bet that we draft ANYTHING but a RB in the 1st round this year? I will. Kubiak will not draft a RB high in the draft. Never. Not even if it's BPA at that particular spot.

There's an arrogance there, IMO. There's a Shanahan ego situation where Kubiak thinks like his mentor thinks: I can plug anybody into the system.

My big gripe is that we ain't drafting a touted RB in the 1st round. I bet we'd even pass on Mendenhall if he was there for us.

I see us going CB. Or, at least, a defensive player in some capacity.

And that's my whole beef: Due to bad management pre-Kubiak, there's simply no room for mistakes in free agency, not even to muddy the water with a cheap RB. And there's even less wiggle room in the drafts. This is, after all, if we're talking about the Texans becoming a legitimate contender. Othwerise, we're bottom of the barrell...once more. It's the way it's playing out in the AFC South right now--It's a tough crowd.

Last edited by GP; 03-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #260
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Chris Browns running style reminds me more of OJ Simpson. When he was playing.
OJ was a much stronger runner inside, more explosive and was more physically imposing....not to mention his "slashing style" of running (couldn't resist).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read