Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2008   #221
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Texans interested in RB Chris Brown/Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I hate this team.
Calm down

Haven't seen the below posted yet;
Quote:
Brown, who turns 27 next month, signed a two-year contract worth $3.6 million on Thursday. He received an $800,000 signing bonus.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5618434.html

Last edited by JayCee; 03-14-2008 at 02:03 AM.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #222
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You gotta' be kidding me.

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

LOL. I hate this team. We are so retarded when it comes to running backs.
You're amazing.
Old 03-14-2008   #223
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
wow.
Barrett, you bring up some very interesting points. I'm going to have to contemplate on that for a while. I think I speak for the rest of the board when I say, "your insight is irreplacable".
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #224
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

I am sorry did you see the contracts being thrown out for guys who suck like (Hate to say this) Julius Jones who is not one the field in the 4th quarter or on those tough downs and you would like the Texans to throw shit loads of cash for that? That would like promising a bunch of folks a very good bluesish rock band and giving the Hanson (I dont give a rats ass about what they are trying to portray with there so called new sound). It is just not only stupid but it does nothing to help this team get better by strapping a wad of cash to guys who suck, when you can sign someone who is good when healthy to a low dollar high reward contract.

TC, will conrrect me if I am wrong but didn;t they call Marvin Harrisons injury a bone bruise just like they did Green? He sat out 7 or 8 weeks and did not play and practice hard and he came back for the last playoff game and was atrocious and he was on the sidelines during the last drive. So please get off about the injury unless you will say the same things about Marvin harrison.
Old 03-14-2008   #225
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I actually like it. But I would rather have just about anyone over Ahman Green...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #226
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Why don't you pull a Fight Club and fight yourself?

Just youtube it so we can watch.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #227
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

You know he is only 27 with Ahman in his 30s so whats the deal. Hell they'll probably release either or in training camp anyways.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2008   #228
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like this move... low risk (well pretty high risk but low consequences) and potential high reward
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #229
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294021 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

After having slept on this, I haven't changed my mind. I don't like signing another injury prone RB, but I hope like hell he works out. I really do.

But if he doesn't yall will be hearing me and a few other brave souls here yelling "I told ya so".

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #230
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...t=47458&page=7

post 131

you heard it here first
Old 03-14-2008   #231
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyc85 View Post
God forbid Houston actually invest a high draft pick in a running back instead of just signing injury prone guys.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #232
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence: "God forbid Houston actually invest a high draft pick in a running back instead of just signing injury prone guys."
Nah. That'd be too much of a "risk."

I defy anyone to sit here and tell me, honestly, that this is going to turn out to be a rewarding signing for this team. You guys can bash me all you want for being "pessimistic" and for "ragging on this team," and you can tell me to go find another team. I could care.

But I feel the same way about this move as I did about the Ahman Green signing this time last year, and I got ragged on here for stating the obvious about the Ahman Green hype. I'd rather get flamed and be right, as opposed to being unrealistically optimistic and wrong.

You guys "pretending" that this might work out, and that we might get such-and-such out of Chris Brown....well, continue to delude yourselves. If it makes you feel good about this team's pathetic running back situation...then take the drug and be happy.

Darius Walker and Chris Taylor are now the most promising running backs on our team. Let that sink in for a moment.....................
Old 03-14-2008   #233
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence:
and their pair of high pick rb's (2nd's) are doing so well?

GP, I SHALL DEFY THOU
Old 03-14-2008   #234
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

800K guarantee? I'm in. Looks like we have our third down back.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #235
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

GP, I SHALL DEFY THOU
LOL! I'm Lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2008   #236
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See if they say that when ol' lenny swells up Gary Brown style circa 95'-96 or that all-pro reserve chris henry turns out to be just what he was in high school & college a guy to split carries with.

Having said that i don't like the signing, This dude is Kubiak's nightmare as a RB. Injury prone & has bouts of fumbilitis at times. I would've been okay with just picking someone up in the draft to groom.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #237
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

GP, I SHALL DEFY THOU
You forgot the #3 overall they took.

Honestly It's not that bad of a signing considering we don't have to rely on Dayne as the primary backup now. I think this puts more flexibility with what we want to do come draft day. From all signs I've seen Mendenhall won't fall to us now and with Stewart's pending surgery that takes him out of the picture. So what other options were the Texans supposed to be looking at? Was anyone else keen on 5 Mil a year to Turner? Jones who can't carry the full load? A player Comparable to Green in Shaun Alexander? Kevin Jones?

What would you have us do then GP? Lay out your reasonable plan. You're screaming as if you were the only one on the board who held reservations about signing Ahman last year. Get over yourself.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 03-14-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #238
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
800K guarantee? I'm in. Looks like we have our third down back.
For a 2 year deal. How can you not be happyabout this deal?

If it works out, great; and if it doesn't it cost you nothing.

And the icing is it does not stop you from drafting a RB at 18 if one is there that you like.

All in all another brilliant move by Rick Smith. Once again we may enter the draft with most of our needs addressed and therefore we can go bpa all day.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #239
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone seen Chris Brown run? I was looking over some of his footage and looks to me alot of his reasons for getting hurt are due to his aggressiveness in his runs. Dude does lower his head and takes a hit, and has shown some resilience in his running. Take the Simmons hit, which I feel is what kept Chris Brown from being better, he put his head down and got hurt but he wasn't scared.

I also don't think Kubiak is making him the end all of RBs. He knows this is a position of weakness, he knows his team has more than enough holes to fill (OT, CB, LB, RB, S). This move just parallels what he did with the WR corp. He brought in alot of talent be they young old, injury prone or healthy and ended up making them a strenght.

I would much rather have AG, DW, CT, CB, and rookie than just AG, DW, CT and rookie. We can still draft one in the later round that will be good (Ray Rice maybe).
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #240
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I said earlier that I will get on his bandwagon if he signs so I will back him as a Texan, but for whatever reason, either ineffective play or injuries, Brown has never played a full 16 game season.
Starts and injuries are not the same thing. Dude has played behind Eddie George, Travis Henry and then LenDale White. By your standard, Sage is a scrub and the Texans are idiots for not taking a 3rd for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Things that make you say "DAAAAMNNN"!!!!! You got....jacked up! JK, happy to see Brown is a Texan. Better to have a 2 year deal with a solid back than a 4 year deal with a RB that's over the hill. (*cough*Green)
Texans fans love that clip (and it is good hit) but Brown came back into that game while Simmons was out for several games afterwards.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read