Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2008   #21
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 56880 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kube's high on Taylor?

I'm hoping Taylor makes a full recovery and can stay healthy for an entire season. The guy hasn't stayed healthy enough to be called injury prone yet, just injured. I really like him but and Walker. I see no need to spend a first day pick on a RB when the big forte of this coaching staff is supposed to be making a 1,000 yd. rusher out of just about anyone and/or finding gems in the lower rounds. We need to be looking for a shut down CB in the 1st. Walker and Dayne can be my 1-2 punch out the backfield. They did pretty OK last season.
Old 03-11-2008   #22
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Perhaps your perspective is a little harsh?
Or perhaps he has an agenda and will skew everything to that result. Sounds like the election doesn't it?
Old 03-11-2008   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Taylor NFL TD: 1
Chris Taylor NFL Surgeries: 1
Chris Taylor NFL EXP: 2

What has he done? Rushed for 99 yards against a horrible Cleveland D two years ago. Thinking the guy is going to come back from a knee surgery and be our dream running back the next year is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

What has he done? Rushed for 99 yards against a horrible Cleveland D two years ago. Thinking the guy is going to come back from a knee surgery and be our dream running back the next year is crazy.
The plan isn't to hand him the job. I think it is to give him a shot to show he deserves the carries before they spend heavy on another back and overcrowd the backfield with dollars and draft picks while not addressing other positions which need upgrading... After all, while we can argue whether CTaylor could be the answer at RB, I don't think we can have that argument about Faggins at CB or Salaam at LT.

For what it's worth, we're bringing in Chris Brown tomorrow... I think that further legitimizes what McClain was saying.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #25
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, we don't have a 2nd round pick.

Second, Taylor has been in the league for two seasons. In his first season, he worked his way on to the team as an undrafted free agent, into the active roster, and rushed for 100 yards in his last game as a rookie- his only start.

Last year he tore his ACL and missed the season.

Perhaps your perspective is a little harsh?
The longer I think about it the more I believe that we will have a 2nd round pick or at the very least a pair of 3's.
Old 03-11-2008   #26
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a very strong hunch we are going to go D with #18 pick if we don't/can't trade back. I fell it will be CB (Talib/McKelvin, DRC, etc.) or perhaps even a LB (Rivers, or there is an OLB I was reading about the name escapes me at the moment).

I do not think there is a good chance we will go RB. I really would LOVE Mendenhall to fall to us and be proven wrong, it would be foolish to pass on him.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 03-11-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Kubaik has always been high on Taylor. Note that his keyword for a player he likes is "special." Like, 'He has a chance to be a really "special" player in this league." So if you hear Kub say "special" about a player, he likes likes him!
........................and that he could be destined to do well in the "special" olympics.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2008   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post

Chris Taylor is pretty much an NFL unknown other than Kubiak liked what he saw during camp. I don't think there is a ton of reason to crush him or praise him.

You never know with the ZBS they are implementing. I am guessing the running game will look completely different next year, no matter who they get. Kubiak + Sherman I believe will look different than Kubiak + Gibbs. Because the the latter will have a consistent philosophy and offensive look.

Here is some crazy and implausible for you.

I like that Kubiak has kind words for a guy who has been working hard to come back. He said good words about him before he got injured too.

I think it is inevitable that the Texans will draft running back.

I think the Texans will take best player available at 18 (and won't be against trading down).

I think the Texans needs are greater on defense, but that the defense will be less exposed if the Texans have a running game that is functional, puts less pressure on the passing game, and takes time off of the clock.

The question is how much help are they going to give Gibbs to achieive that.
Old 03-11-2008   #29
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Taylor's special skill will be bringing the 1st or 3rd round drafted RB Gatorade
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #30
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Taylor's special skill will be bringing the 1st or 3rd round drafted RB Gatorade
Im PMing this to myself, your on the record....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #31
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Or is McClain smoking the crack rock again?

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/i..._rbs_fi_1.html
The texans and mclain are in the people business so everyone texan is someone they are high on . Me personally , i have not seen anything from Taylor that i have seen from every other running back we employ .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #32
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

This sounds like some rehashed regurgitated crap from McLain, again. Kubes was high on Taylor about this time last year if I remember right, so I don't see why he would or wouldn't be high on him now (Barring the injury of course). Football season is in the doldrums right now and McLain hasn't done another poorly shot video, so we get this, yay!

If I remember correctly, didn't Taylor tear the meniscus in his knee, not his ACL? I don't know. . .

Anyways, I'm sure Taylor, Walker, and Green are all going to be competing in training camp, and I'll be really shocked if Taylor is RB1 come the first regular season game. He'll be a 3rd year pro who has yet to start in 2 consecutive games.
Old 03-11-2008   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The longer I think about it the more I believe that we will have a 2nd round pick or at the very least a pair of 3's.
agreed. think they have their eye on a particular cb not graded in the 1st rd. & might actually have a center in mind instead of a 5 million dollar FA.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #34
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't think there is a ton of reason to crush him or praise him.

I think the Texans will take best player available at 18 (and won't be against trading down).
Agree, Taylor will get a chance this year, but he's still a bit of an unknown. I think the Texans will continue to draft BPA in rd 1 unless they get a trade offer that allows them to get add'l picks.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #35
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

McClain isn't the only one to report this. It was in a quote from Kubiak directly in the article about the Texans re-signing Earl and Bruener. That's what I thought this thread was about before I read it. This isn't just McClain writing opinions.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5608493.html

Quote:
"(Earl) is fine. He's back," coach Gary Kubiak said. "When I go back and look at least year's camp, I saw three guys who looked like they were going to have big years.

"(Running back) Chris Taylor was one, (wide receiver) Kevin (Walter) was another and then I really thought Glenn was poised to have a big year as well. We're excited to get him healthy."
Old 03-12-2008   #36
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
McClain isn't the only one to report this. It was in a quote from Kubiak directly in the article about the Texans re-signing Earl and Bruener. That's what I thought this thread was about before I read it. This isn't just McClain writing opinions.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5608493.html
Then why the hell didn't Hungry hungry Hippo quote that in his article? Instead of saying from what he heard around ...

Just stop acting like you are the know all and be all of sports in Houston and just get on with the truth and the knowledge of what you have.
Old 03-12-2008   #37
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't think he'll be there at 18 but one year wonders make me nervous.

I think we'd find better value later in the draft for a RB. I think The Reeves signing and re-signing Demps made secondary a bit easier but I think it's very possible with the situation we could take DRC not looking to start him right away.

I'd be sad if Chris Williams makes it there to 18 and we pass him up.
Totally agree with you there.
Old 03-12-2008   #38
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Chris Taylor is pretty much an NFL unknown other than Kubiak liked what he saw during camp. I don't think there is a ton of reason to crush him or praise him.

You never know with the ZBS they are implementing. I am guessing the running game will look completely different next year, no matter who they get. Kubiak + Sherman I believe will look different than Kubiak + Gibbs. Because the the latter will have a consistent philosophy and offensive look.

Here is some crazy and implausible for you.

I like that Kubiak has kind words for a guy who has been working hard to come back. He said good words about him before he got injured too.

I think it is inevitable that the Texans will draft running back.

I think the Texans needs are greater on defense, but that the defense will be less exposed if the Texans have a running game that is functional, puts less pressure on the passing game, and takes time off of the clock.

The question is how much help are they going to give Gibbs to achieive that.
Two different scenarios TC. Davis won the starting job in training camp and was named the starter going into the season opener. Chris Taylor was cut, signed, cut, signed, injured. Davis was drafted, won the job then got hurt. We shouldn't count on getting lucky and finding a Davis. Worst case you need two good legit RBs in the league now (which would be 2 more than we currently have).

Kubiak's kind word towards our RBs has been a death wish so far. Next thing we know Taylor will also be out on a swing set getting high. Hopefully not though. My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.

Last edited by PapaL; 03-12-2008 at 05:25 AM.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #39
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't get the love for Taylor. He played well in one game against one of the worst teams in the league. Kubiak has said that we will be picking up a young back who will be with the team for a long time. That sounds like a 1st or 3rd round pick to me.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #40
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats with all the confusion here? Every player has to eventually PROVE themselves on the field when they enter into this league. Its standard procedure. I thought it was clear last training camp how high this organization was on Taylor before, and obviously after he got injured... when Kubiak stated what a huge blow that was for him and this team. We dont see the tapes, the every day practice, the work in the clubhouse,etc,etc,etc.... THEY DO. This is a good thing.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read