Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2008   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kube's high on Taylor?

Or is McClain smoking the crack rock again?

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/i..._rbs_fi_1.html

Quote:
Gary Kubiak and his assistants are high on Taylor. And I mean really high. They still want another veteran running back to go with Taylor, Ahman Green and Darius Walker. And I still expect them to draft a back in the later rounds.

But based on what I've been hearing lately, the coaches expect big things from Taylor in the system Alex Gibbs has installed - more Denver, less Green Bay.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #2
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kube's high on Taylor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

Dude don't take the bait this is a complete smoke screen for the other teams to bite on. It's obvious the Texans are going to draft a running back really high because they haven't done anything in free agency to at least address the position. IMO the texans are poised to draft a running back in round 1 which one we don't know but all of moves are pointing in that direction.
Old 03-11-2008   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Hearing what exactly and from whom?

I to can write a bunch of speculative crap without saying any real details.
Old 03-11-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Any reason they can find not to use their #18 pick on a running back is fine
with me. Hey, I'd rather see them draft another DLineman than a back.
"Backs are a dime a dozen".
But I'm also a Chris Taylor fan and I'm glad to hear he's his recovery/rehab from the knee has been a success and Kubiak & Co have positive vibes about him. I assume this includes Gibbs ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

AGREED

I can speculate better than Johnny Hollywood.
We have the same sources (THE INTERNET).

Where's Anna-Meagan?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #6
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

i know we're going to draft a back sometime in the draft, but if we pass up on mendenhall at #18... i'll be sad.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #7
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

Man Chris Taylor hasn't done crap he has been nothing but pre-season cannon fodder and hasn't played on consistant basis not to draft a running back in the 1st 2 rounds it's all smoke man.
Old 03-11-2008   #8
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
i know we're going to draft a back sometime in the draft, but if we pass up on mendenhall at #18... i'll be sad.
I'm with you on this if he is one of the best lets grab him and move on I hate falling into the value talk we need a stud running back to take pressure off the qb.
Old 03-11-2008   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Man Chris Taylor hasn't done crap he has been nothing but pre-season cannon fodder and hasn't played on consistant basis not to draft a running back in the 1st 2 rounds it's all smoke man.
Well, we don't have a 2nd round pick.

Second, Taylor has been in the league for two seasons. In his first season, he worked his way on to the team as an undrafted free agent, into the active roster, and rushed for 100 yards in his last game as a rookie- his only start.

Last year he tore his ACL and missed the season.

Perhaps your perspective is a little harsh?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
I don't think he'll be there at 18 but one year wonders make me nervous.

I think we'd find better value later in the draft for a RB. I think The Reeves signing and re-signing Demps made secondary a bit easier but I think it's very possible with the situation we could take DRC not looking to start him right away.

I'd be sad if Chris Williams makes it there to 18 and we pass him up.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Chris Taylor and think he could be a good player but I'm certainly not going to take John McClain's word for anything.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #12
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care who we have at RB. I don't care who starts. I don't care who the primary back up is. I don't care if we draft them, sign them, or already have them on the roster.

I don't care as long as they can:

1) Consistently get us 80-100 ypg.
2) Pick up the blitz
3) Not fumble
4) Not tiptoe at the LOS
5) Not cause any career ending injuries to our O-line
6) Break an occasional long run
7) Force the opposing D to at least contemplate the possibility that we may run and do so for positive yards.

Is that too much to ask for?
Old 03-11-2008   #13
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm also super high on Taylor but I have to agree that he's shown little to us as fans. The coaches have seen alot more from him than we have and I trust in their personnel decisions. I'd love to see us loaded at RB and trade some away next year or in the draft but I'd also love to see our Defense solidified and feared. Our offense was already doing pretty well. Taylor may be "great" but he may also be "good enough" or at least he and Green and Walker may be "good enough".

DaleMurphy, call me about season tickets....
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #14
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubaik has always been high on Taylor. Note that his keyword for a player he likes is "special." Like, 'He has a chance to be a really "special" player in this league." So if you hear Kub say "special" about a player, he likes likes him!
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #15
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 63318 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

It shouldn't be a surprise that the team is high on Taylor, they were high on him last year before he broke down.

If he is fully recovered he will be a piece to the running back puzzle but I'm not going to assume that he is the answer by himself, then again who could have imagined Ryan Grant would of had the season he had last year.

The thing with Running Backs is that there are a lot of factors that can fall into place to make them good such as scheme, blocking, fit for the system, injuries or strength of the passing game. I trust our running game will be better this year because I trust the aforementioned things will be better this year because of our coaching staff/front office. Be it Taylor, Green, Walker, or player to be named, we will be better this year than last.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #16
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

YA BOY, Pass that Taylor blunt this way......

I love this guy as well, I think he and walker can do some real damage behind the new look O line....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I love this guy as well, I think he and walker can do some real damage behind the new look O line....
Think about this...

After next season (or this season) Dayne leaves through FA and they release Ahman Green. 1st round goes towards OL or CB and they get a really solid RB in the 3rd (or 4th) Round this draft.

Gibbs and Kubiak find some quality guys that fit their system and the OL starts to improve and get better. They "gel" during the '08 season and going into '09 we finally have a viable Center that emerged during the season and competition all along the line weeded out who is going to be the starters in Gibbs OL.

So to recap: Going into the 2009 Season we have (1) A much improved Offensive Line that has spend the previous season playing together and learning the system and (2) A (running) backfield of Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, and the '08 Rookie' draft pick say a Matt Forte, Ray Rice, or Kevin Smith type of back.

Assuming that this would all be effective, and I think there is a great chance of that... do you realize how inexpensive our backfield would cost!!?? It'd probably be the cheapest in the league. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

On top of that but we're able to spend other draft picks to fix up the OL, improve the secondary, and defense as a whole. Going into 2009 season, Mario, Amobi, Travis Johnson all have played together more and are maturing, Demeco Ryans is still just as solid as ever + maybe an emergence of a solid OLB, Dunta Robinson should be completely healed (crosses fingers), Fred Bennett continues to grow and improve, Reeves proves to be a solid nickle back?? CC Brown + Glenn Earl as SS's, Demps as FS and possibly a 1st round CB in the '08 draft? Our defense would develop into a KILLER D.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #18
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Think about this...

After next season (or this season) Dayne leaves through FA and they release Ahman Green. 1st round goes towards OL or CB and they get a really solid RB in the 3rd (or 4th) Round this draft.

Gibbs and Kubiak find some quality guys that fit their system and the OL starts to improve and get better. They "gel" during the '08 season and going into '09 we finally have a viable Center that emerged during the season and competition all along the line weeded out who is going to be the starters in Gibbs OL.

So to recap: Going into the 2009 Season we have (1) A much improved Offensive Line that has spend the previous season playing together and learning the system and (2) A (running) backfield of Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, and the '08 Rookie' draft pick say a Matt Forte, Ray Rice, or Kevin Smith type of back.

Assuming that this would all be effective, and I think there is a great chance of that... do you realize how inexpensive our backfield would cost!!?? It'd probably be the cheapest in the league. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

On top of that but we're able to spend other draft picks to fix up the OL, improve the secondary, and defense as a whole. Going into 2009 season, Mario, Amobi, Travis Johnson all have played together more and are maturing, Demeco Ryans is still just as solid as ever + maybe an emergence of a solid OLB, Dunta Robinson should be completely healed (crosses fingers), Fred Bennett continues to grow and improve, Reeves proves to be a solid nickle back?? CC Brown + Glenn Earl as SS's, Demps as FS and possibly a 1st round CB in the '08 draft? Our defense would develop into a KILLER D.

Nice.....(looks up and to the right while thinking of this idea.....smiles)

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #19
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

I'm just surprised he got around to writing about sports and put his Anna Megan obsession aside for 5 minutes.

Remember, this is the same McCain that once said the Texans were going to draft VY. I really think one of his "sources" is a magic 8-ball.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Dude don't take the bait this is a complete smoke screen for the other teams to bite on. It's obvious the Texans are going to draft a running back really high because they haven't done anything in free agency to at least address the position. IMO the texans are poised to draft a running back in round 1 which one we don't know but all of moves are pointing in that direction.
If by "really high" you mean first round, I would call that far from obvious. If you mean 3rd round, I'd call that not "really high". If by really high you're talking about McClain - well, maybe.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read