Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2008   #21
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: boring offseason

As many others in this thread are expressing, I'd also echo the sentiment that boring is good in this situation.
The only thing is that its probably unwise to "underspend", .i.e not a good idea for a team to fail to expend all of its cap resources, though I doubt that that's a concern with the Texans right now ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #22
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
In partial agreement. It has been a mediocre free agency. Our biggest signing was probably resigning Will Demps. Other than that, it's been pretty boring. At the same time, there hasn't been a lot out there for us to sign that would have been a significant upgrade other than if we had signed Michael Turner.
Turner = Lamont Jordan
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think this is a boring off season? We trade a 6th for a starting center that can also play guard and have an offer for our back up QB. We have not even made it to the draft yet.
Old 03-20-2008   #24
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Still think this is a boring off season? We trade a 6th for a starting center that can also play guard and have an offer for our back up QB. We have not even made it to the draft yet.
Definetly picked up in the last week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #25
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

this has been a productive offseason. we traded for a center, picked up a serviceable running back that can break a big play, we resigned our two most coveted FAs of our own, lost no one really outside of Danny Clark and probably Weary. We signed a new DB that is already probably our best CB on our roster until Dunta comes back. We got one of the most respected minds in defense to come to town in Ray Rhodes and we got one of the best coaches in the NFL in Alex Gibbs to come to town.

I personally feel they should have gone after Justin Smith and Marlon McCree buts its obvious RS did not agree. We may be waiting to be a little more competitive till we start throwing around the big money.

We had a great offseason imho. Not a big sexy offseason, but we addressed a lot of our deficiencies (coaching, RB, CB) and we didn't lose much.

KUDOS TO RS
Old 03-20-2008   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
this has been a productive offseason. we traded for a center, picked up a serviceable running back that can break a big play, we resigned our two most coveted FAs of our own, lost no one really outside of Danny Clark and probably Weary. We signed a new DB that is already probably our best CB on our roster until Dunta comes back. We got one of the most respected minds in defense to come to town in Ray Rhodes and we got one of the best coaches in the NFL in Alex Gibbs to come to town.

I personally feel they should have gone after Justin Smith and Marlon McCree buts its obvious RS did not agree. We may be waiting to be a little more competitive till we start throwing around the big money.

We had a great offseason imho. Not a big sexy offseason, but we addressed a lot of our deficiencies (coaching, RB, CB) and we didn't lose much.

KUDOS TO RS
Good post and we are going to wrap up with a great draft and just maybe a free agent after June cuts that will add strength.
Old 03-20-2008   #27
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

But we have a cheap owner who will not go after big time names as far as coaches ar concerned.
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2008   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
But we have a cheap owner who will not go after big time names as far as coaches ar concerned.
I don't see what you base that on. He has not made any recent ridiculous offers through our new GM. He was not so cheap when he over paid in Casserly's regime for mediocre FA and he stepped up for big bucks on Carr's contract instead of signing a veteran QB and trading down. He offered Mario quite a few dollars rather than making a ridiculous trade down for less quality.
Old 03-20-2008   #29
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see what you base that on. He has not made any recent ridiculous offers through our new GM. He was not so cheap when he over paid in Casserly's regime for mediocre FA and he stepped up for big bucks on Carr's contract instead of signing a veteran QB and trading down. He offered Mario quite a few dollars rather than making a ridiculous trade down for less quality.

Did not think I would need this but here you go.

Last edited by Specnatz; 03-20-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see what you base that on.
It was based on prior accusations by SH that McNair was too cheap to hire good coaches or spend money on players.
Old 03-20-2008   #31
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
back away from the keyboard. prior to this year, we had yet to seriously address our coaching deficiencies...and still have yet to upgrade our defensive playcaller/schemer.

go troll someone else because I am being positive and have been happy with the moves personnel wise as well as the additions to our coaching staff. its funny how I was chided when I said we needed better coaching but its quite obvious that RS shared my opinion and did work.

i try and put a positive spin on something and still someone has to be a smart ass. pure playa hatin'.
Old 03-20-2008   #32
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It was based on prior accusations by SH that McNair was too cheap to hire good coaches or spend money on players.
I never said McNair wouldn't spend big money on players but I did say he spent his big money unwisely when had spent it in past. as for the coaching, it is without doubt that we had a subpar coaching staff in years past. RS finally got McNair on board with spending money on coaching and improving the staff...which they have done.

you guys criticize me for being right...thanks a lot.

until this season, we had never ponied up the money it takes to bring in good coaching...whether that was all the fault of McNair, the expansion tag, or the late hiring of Kubiak is up for debate....but he had yet to bring in quality assistants until this year.

RS obviously agreed because they did something about it.

as for the players, if you think they have paid the money it takes to get good players in Free Agency, you are wrong. they have signed the wrong players in the past and RS seems to be changing that.

i could care less what a guy like Spec thinks but Icak, you know they have had a pretty blah coaching staff since Day One and have not really gone out and got top-tier FAs. I don't know what the big debate is. They have had a good offseason. who would have thought people would try and troll me for being positive about our Texans......geez, you just can't win with some people.
Old 03-20-2008   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, I was just explaining the joke.
Old 03-20-2008   #34
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i pure playa hatin'.
Don't hate the Playa, hate the Beach!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

I will change the focus to something less controversial. Does anyone think Sage might be traded?
Old 03-20-2008   #36
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:

OK I made a joke and folks want to get their panties in a tiffy go right ahead.

Really?? Seriously? SH me and you have gone round and round about him spending money, and your still not right about you calling him cheap. I never said we should not upgrade, what I said, once Kubiak and RS think there is something out there better they will try and get them and McNair would open his wallet up. So NO you were not right you were dead friggin wrong, because McNair was and is not cheap.

Middle of the season you wanted Kubiak fired and the chin hired even though he said he would not coach this next year. Or did you forget about that?

Like I said I made a joke and one person did not understand where I was going with it and one person should have just laughed and said yeah ya got me he spent the money on coaches, but nope ya have to go off and rewrite history.
Old 03-20-2008   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been a very calm, quiet off-season for the Texans and they've gone about their business in a methodical manner that I think belies how well things have gone for us this year. We've brought in Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes to coach. That's just huge but unless a coaching staff just gets all-out purged a hire here and there doesn't make headlines. That's completely fine by me. We've kept guys that I was seriously worried about losing like Andre Davis and Will Demps. Nobody in the media is going to go nuts over our doing that but those are the things that will really help us out next season. We've brought in people who I feel like have a great shot at making a huge impact. Chris Brown could very easily just blow up in this offense if he takes to it and Chris Myers is poised to help get our offensive line started a step or so ahead of where they would normally be.

We're doing good this year in free agency. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gary and Rick pull out of the hat come draft time. I still believe we'll end up with two first day picks. I'm sure of it.
Old 03-20-2008   #38
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
OK I made a joke and folks want to get their panties in a tiffy go right ahead.

Really?? Seriously? SH me and you have gone round and round about him spending money, and your still not right about you calling him cheap. I never said we should not upgrade, what I said, once Kubiak and RS think there is something out there better they will try and get them and McNair would open his wallet up. So NO you were not right you were dead friggin wrong, because McNair was and is not cheap.

Middle of the season you wanted Kubiak fired and the chin hired even though he said he would not coach this next year. Or did you forget about that?

Like I said I made a joke and one person did not understand where I was going with it and one person should have just laughed and said yeah ya got me he spent the money on coaches, but nope ya have to go off and rewrite history.
he did spend good money on coaches this offseason but he hadn't up to this point. as for wanting Kubiak to be fired, the way the team was playing it looked like they gave up on him. Obviously, that wasnt the case and the team started playing better...and I never spoke of firing Kubes after that. ANyways, I was more of the mindsight of Hiring Chin than Firing Kubes. I just thought Chin could bring us the coaching which we lacked but Kubes and RS have proved they can bring in coaching too. Hopefully it all works out because as much as we argue, we are in the same boat and want the same thing...WINS.

I forget about very little, Spec. I have called McNair cheap before but that doesnt mean he is being cheap now. He has spent money and has shown the willingness to take a risk as well (see Brown and Green at RB). I am giving the guy total credit and I praise this offseason because its the first one where I feel we are taking steps forward and not backwards. I would have liked us to get Justin Smith but the FA money was insane with too much in guarantees this year. It's not going to change but I would rather save the big FA splash for a year that we truly feel we are one or two playmakers away from being championship contenders. I think we are close but we are not there yet. We need to establish consistency in our running game and our pass defense before we can even merit mention of playoffs or Super Bowl.

Once again, this offseason has been great since we have finally upgraded our coaching staff and we have plugged in players that fit our system at positions of need (CB, C, RB) If we can get a good edge rusher DE/OLB, CB/FS, or OT talent in the draft, we would really be sitting pretty.

have a good easter, Spec. from a fellow Texans fan.
Old 03-20-2008   #39
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:

KUDOS TO RS
I dissagree on the money thing. When I look at teams that do throw around "the big money" they have not improved anywhere near as much as we have spending half as much. San Francisco, L.A, St. Louis, Detroit, and many others regularly pay big bucks to "Revamp" their teams, and end up relasing or trading that player a few years later. I think the Texans approach of building through the draft is much more effective. Just my oppinion though.
Old 03-20-2008   #40
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I dissagree on the money thing. When I look at teams that do throw around "the big money" they have not improved anywhere near as much as we have spending half as much. San Francisco, L.A, St. Louis, Detroit, and many others regularly pay big bucks to "Revamp" their teams, and end up relasing or trading that player a few years later. I think the Texans approach of building through the draft is much more effective. Just my oppinion though.
Actually, I think the 9er's defense was pretty good last year after that big defensive offseason they had. :o

It was the offense that lost them all of those games.

And who's L.A.?

But I have to agree on your overall post, our way of doing things is much more effective. Even if it's not very sexy. ;o

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read