Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2008   #1
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default boring offseason

It seems that last year there was sooo much more to look forward to. Mario looked like he was coming into his own. David Carr had been cut and had a new guy that we weren't sure about. We had gotten a vetern running back who looked to be in the best shape of his life etc. . . This year I can't really say that I've seen much to just really catch my eye. No big name signings, no big name cuts. I'm just ready for the draft to get here just so I can see something happen. Is anyone else feeling this way or is it just me.
Old 03-09-2008   #2
Ckw

Default Re: boring offseason

In partial agreement. It has been a mediocre free agency. Our biggest signing was probably resigning Will Demps. Other than that, it's been pretty boring. At the same time, there hasn't been a lot out there for us to sign that would have been a significant upgrade other than if we had signed Michael Turner.
Old 03-09-2008   #3
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
It seems that last year there was sooo much more to look forward to. Mario looked like he was coming into his own. David Carr had been cut and had a new guy that we weren't sure about. We had gotten a vetern running back who looked to be in the best shape of his life etc. . . This year I can't really say that I've seen much to just really catch my eye. No big name signings, no big name cuts. I'm just ready for the draft to get here just so I can see something happen. Is anyone else feeling this way or is it just me.
No, IM SIKED FOR THE SEASON, we have a real life team, lol.... i cant wait to see our O line play and how our running game works with whoever we have, i cant wait to see Andre be the BEST reciever in the league, I cant wait to see mario, okoye and whatever new guy we throw on the other side DESTROY offenses, I cant wait to see ryans and bennet tear it up, I am soooo excited for next year and looking forward to it very much.

I am not a fan of the draft(watching that is, i think its a joke) Id rather just see who we got the next day and evaluate it myself, I trust our coaches and GM to take who they think is best, plus i can take a football break with the way the Rockets are playing and Baseball season starting. so, Im just as excited....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not big into baseball or basketball so its been a time for me to catch up on working on my car.
Old 03-09-2008   #5
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not big into baseball or basketball so its been a time for me to catch up on working on my car.
word, thats understandable...

I love Baseball, I enjoy basketball, Football is fun!!!!

But the weird thing is that I dont like the NFL much but IM freaking crazy about the Texans....

Id rather watch college ball, and most NFL games that i watch(besides Texans) is really to check up on the guys I watched in college, i think that might change as i get older and notice more guys in the league...

Old 03-09-2008   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's definitely been anything but exciting this offseason, but that might be the best thing to happen for the texans. no big signings, nobody really getting away, and just simply nothing other than a few "bleh" visits at all so far. as someone said in another thread though, this could be perfect. unlike previous years we arent building our hopes up on boom or bust players (wade, green, etc) and dont have to worry about big ugly contracts for "filler" veterans (weaver, moulds) that cause problems later on. we're definitely still in a building mode and it appears we're trying to keep ourselves able to continue building in future seasons. the last two years kubiak's spent a lot of time chopping casserly's roster apart and filling up the "other 31 players" and building depth ... i guess this means he likes where we're at right now in that regard.

i am a bit suprised though with all this coming from kubiak and smith. coming from a system that would gamble on vets and doesnt hesitate to trade away draft picks it's hard to believe they'd have such a quiet offseason. it's boring now, but hopefully that means we'll have plenty of excitement during the season.
Old 03-09-2008   #7
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

As i sit here thinking about this thread id have to say that as excited as I am for the season, id have to agree that yes, this has been a boring offseason so far....

Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2008   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

There's two main reasons for the slow offseason.

1.We have enough talent that were not trying to completly retool our roster.
2.Cap space
- were not in cap trouble(releasing players)
- but we dont have the room to make in big name FA aquisitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, this offseason has been pretty quiet but it does have its advantages. IMO, the best teams usually keep their own talent and build through the draft. Seems like the Texans have a solid core now, so if our biggest offseason aquisitions is to re-sign our own, then we're looking pretty good for all the right reasons. Players wanting to stick around is a clear sign that we're going to be more competitive next season.

I don't see us making any big splashes this offseason. Although I must admit that it was a big surprise last season to see the Texans pull off the Schaub trade without any warning, I'd be happy to see our guys with another year of the system under there belts.

With that said, the draft can't come soon enough!!!
Old 03-10-2008   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

This emoticon is the best metaphor I know for a year in any sport a person loves. Such build up, the anicipation, imagination, the waiting. Then swwooooosh!! It's over too soon. You go around again. Such build up, the anicipation, the..................
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I'd rather have a ho-hum offseason where we resign our 2 best FAs and sign a couple guys with potential that dont break the bank then go out and overpay a solid at best player on the downside of his career and hear the whole forum gripe about it.
Old 03-10-2008   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Translation:
There really haven't been any truly bonehead moves so there ain't squat to argue about so we're kinda bored

Maybe when the draft gets here, Smithiak will draft someone controversial and we'll have something to get excited about

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
In partial agreement. It has been a mediocre free agency. Our biggest signing was probably resigning Will Demps. Other than that, it's been pretty boring. At the same time, there hasn't been a lot out there for us to sign that would have been a significant upgrade other than if we had signed Michael Turner.
I think the biggest player signing was Andre Davis. The Demps re-signing is second.

I'm hoping our best new acquisitions will be the Gibbs and Rhodes
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't

You're looking at this off-season (to date) the wrong way.

Key signings/additions so far this off-season are Alex Gibbs and Ray Rhodes. I like both of those pick-ups!!
Old 03-10-2008   #15
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it has been kind of boring, but definitely productive. I mean, we signed two coaches in Rhodes and Gibbs that should help out on both sides of the ball and took care of our biggest free agent priorities in Demps and Davis. I can't complain too much.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Every year about this time I post about how bad I think March sucks for football fans. This year is no exception.

It's really a "lose-lose" situation for us now. NFL Europe is gone. AAFL isn't happening (last I checked and it's not like I was excited about it anyway). The season has been over long enough for me to really miss it but the draft is still too far away to make me feel better.

Free agency is by it's very nature a problem unto itself. If your team is already good or playing it smart then you seem to not have any interesting signings to talk about, If your team is spending money and bringing in guys left and right then you have something to talk about but deep down inside you know that all these big contracts are going to add up and that most of these guys never work out the way you want them to. Plus if you're bringing in a lot of people then odds are good you support a team that sucks and needs a lot of help (mostly, there are exceptions).

I hate March and I hate March Madness. I'll never understand the appeal of it all. To me "March Madness" is what sets in when NFL withdrawl reaches it's critical stage.

At least we're not fighting over Reggie Bush and Vince Young or demanding that Dom Capers be fired or David Carr be cut. It could be worse. Much like WesmanTexanFan and Scooter I view the quiet as a good sign. Our brain trust finally has a brain and there's not enough broken about our team at this point to take crazy chances in free agency trying to fix it.
Old 03-10-2008   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like it that we've been quiet.. most often its the teams that make a big splash and get all the media support flop (dolphins 2 yrs ago, SF, Arizona) whereas an unheralded team who doesnt make many big moves comes 'out of nowhere' (giants, vikes, bills, tacks etc). the only team i can think of that lived up to their hype were the browns and that was mainly because of an unheralded move they made (picking up derek anderson in FA)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this has been the best off season for me ever. I know that I am now solidly confident in my expectations from Rick Smith. Then to have the other coaches come in has been sweet. I think Sherman was a good sign but his leaving was timely as we should be ready in 08 to go full ZBS.

I literally agonize over the cap and free agency often considering pretty ridiculous scenarios. Signing AD and Demps was huge to me. AD's showed commitment to players who do well by Smith and both could have gone elsewhere for more cash. Bentley, Reeves and Earl solidified the team. I watched every sporting news report and flipped between ESPN 1&2 to see if anyone signed over this past weekend. Never saw anything on Glenn Earl BTW.

And then the draft. Oh man. Even more exciting for me this year than the last two. We have good picks and good players should be available through round four. I have actually had several nights where I had to work next day and could not go to sleep thinking about "Left tackle or RB? Well, we can take a CB IF so an so is going to be there in fourth." There are so many different scenarios to go through and then one of you guys bring up a player I've not even thought about and there I go again.

And then? Possibles trades? Oh Lordy YES!!
Old 03-10-2008   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I hate March and I hate March Madness. I'll never understand the appeal of it all. To me "March Madness" is what sets in when NFL withdrawl reaches it's critical stage.

At least we're not fighting over Reggie Bush and Vince Young or demanding that Dom Capers be fired or David Carr be cut. It could be worse. Much like WesmanTexanFan and Scooter I view the quiet as a good sign. Our brain trust finally has a brain and there's not enough broken about our team at this point to take crazy chances in free agency trying to fix it.
I guess it's time to make the mock draft forum. I have a couple of volunteers to keep it moving (I won't start it unless we have enough interest to keep it moving) "March Madness" isn't a bad name for our annual mock draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the off-season, but at least the NFL Network lets me watch various aspects of pro football 24/7.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read