Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2008   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I'm just starting my live mock draft....

If you are interested in checking it out, I'm going to have it on my blog. I am going to make the pick for the team and then give an idea of what might be going through their minds and maybe some info on what type of philosophy a team has or might have regarding that selection of the draft.

It is 4:04 PM right now and I just finished the Dolphins pick. Just hit refresh throughout the day to get the newest updates. If you want to comment on my picks or what you think a team might do, feel free. I also make changes on my mock drafts every time I do them so what you see at 6:05 PM might be different than 6:30.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I'm just starting my live mock draft....

Your speculation on Atlanta is interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if they did take someone like Jake Long at #3 and then trade their two 2nds to us to move into our spot and grab someone like Brohm or Henne?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

My top ten mock.
1. Miami - Vernon Gholston - Parcelss pick
2. St. Louis - Chris Long - continue building DL
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Poster boy for new start
4. Oakland - Jake Long - first smart thing Davis ever done
5. Kansas City - Ryan Clady - Easy pick
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden - FA moves make this right pick
7. New England - Mike Jenkins - Samuels replacement
8. Baltimore - Sedrick Ellis inject some youth in D
9. Cincinnati - Derrick Harvey - Justin Smiths replacement
10. New Orleans - Glenn Dorsey - cant believe he still available

Waht do you think?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

So far LZ has

1. Miami - Chris Long
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan
4. Oakland - Vernon Gholston
5. Kansas City - Jake Long
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden

Get his explanations at this link - http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/
Old 03-09-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
So far LZ has

1. Miami - Chris Long
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan
4. Oakland - Vernon Gholston
5. Kansas City - Jake Long
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden

Get his explanations at this link - http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/
1. can't go wrong with Chris Long, very safe pick, excellent character/pedigree
2. fills huge vacum in the middle of that porous line, move Carricker back to his more natural strongside DT position
3. I don't like taking a QB this high (for obvious reasons) re-construct the line first with Jake Long
4. Sapp retired need to replace with interior presence, I'd take Sedric Ellis
5. poor KC one way or another Jake is gone, do they take Clady? would be similar need pick as the Cardinals taking Levi Brown #5
6. McFadden would fit perfect in NY
7. Asante Samuel replacement the ascending DRC

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Your speculation on Atlanta is interesting. Wouldn't it be nice if they did take someone like Jake Long at #3 and then trade their two 2nds to us to move into our spot and grab someone like Brohm or Henne?
I keep thinking along these lines but I've thought they would look at Andre Woodson perhaps.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

7. New England - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
smart pick I agree with totally
8. Baltimore - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
another solid pick with Clady gone address aging secondary

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2008   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I keep thinking along these lines but I've thought they would look at Andre Woodson perhaps.
I don't think Atlanta would have to trade up in order to take Woodson. Andre Woodson isn't as polished as the other QB's, at least with intangibles and understanding the game. He has all the physical tools to be an NFL QB, and a good one at that. If Atlanta moves up for a QB, it shouldn't be for Woodson. They would be moving up for Brohm likely, who would be similar to Brady Quinn's fall last year if he were there at #18.
Old 03-10-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

9. Cincinnati - Sedrick Ellis, NT, USC
if still available- hell yes
10. New Orleans - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
or Mike Jenkins. upside is going to be tough to overlook come draft day

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-10-2008   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would have thought that pre-combine but from what I have read (granted mostly on espin and Fox) he hurt his stock a lot. That is why a lot of people have been pumping up Flacco so much.
Old 03-10-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I would have thought that pre-combine but from what I have read (granted mostly on espin and Fox) he hurt his stock a lot. That is why a lot of people have been pumping up Flacco so much.
that is not why people have been pumping up Flacco. It's based on his impressive workouts. the ability to make all throws, height/visability in pocket, mobility/can throw on the run & character impressions during interview process

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-10-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
that is not why people have been pumping up Flacco. It's based on his impressive workouts. the ability to make all throws, height/visability in pocket, mobility/can throw on the run & character impressions during interview process
Ok I guess I could have gone the whole distance and said Flacco had great workouts but I thought that was implied when I said Woodson had terrible workouts.
Old 03-10-2008   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
He had an excellent pro day and I've watched him play enough...I watch a lot of SEC football so that goes into my opinion.

Quote:
Risers

Andre Woodson, QB -- Kentucky

Woodson turned in a solid performance under a microscope in Lexington. He ran the 40 in 4.86 seconds and looked physically imposing. Woodson threw the ball well and was accurate with his passes. Scouts said it was obvious the Kentucky signal-caller has been working on his throwing mechanics since the Senior Bowl. He was late with a few passes and also underthrew a number of deep passes. But overall, Woodson came away with solid grades.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
He had an excellent pro day and I've watched him play enough...I watch a lot of SEC football so that goes into my opinion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html
I am there with you, I thought he was #2 behind Ryan from what I saw in the games I watched. But I admit I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to evaluating talent. So I went by what espin said.
Old 03-10-2008   #15
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, I've finished all the way through the first 15 picks and I'm going to do the rest at home. I'm leaving the office right now.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Okay, I've finished all the way through the first 15 picks and I'm going to do the rest at home. I'm leaving the office right now.
1. Miami - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
4. Oakland - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
11. Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
12. Denver - Branden Albert, OT/OG, Virginia
13. Carolina - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
14. Chicago - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
15. Detroit - Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt

So that leaves my big board with
Derrick Harvey DE
Mike Jenkins CB
Jonathan Stewart RB
Phillip Merling DE
Calais Campbell DE
Carl Nicks OT
Lawrence Jackson
Aqib Talib DB
Sam Baker OT
Keith Rivers LB
Jeff Otah OT
Quentin Groves DE
Charles Godfrey CB

with 2 picks before us

16. Arizona -
17. Minnasota -
Old 03-10-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
1. Miami - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
4. Oakland - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
5. Kansas City - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
11. Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
12. Denver - Branden Albert, OT/OG, Virginia
13. Carolina - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
14. Chicago - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
15. Detroit - Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt

So that leaves my big board with
Derrick Harvey DE
Mike Jenkins CB
Jonathan Stewart RB
Phillip Merling DE
Calais Campbell DE
Carl Nicks OT
Lawrence Jackson
Aqib Talib DB
Sam Baker OT
Keith Rivers LB
Jeff Otah OT
Quentin Groves DE
Charles Godfrey CB

with 2 picks before us

16. Arizona -
17. Minnasota -

Ok take off Phillip Merlin and Talib that leaves us with
Derrick Harvey DE
Mike Jenkins CB
Jonathan Stewart RB
Calais Campbell DE
Carl Nicks OT
Lawrence Jackson
Sam Baker OT
Keith Rivers LB
Jeff Otah OT
Quentin Groves DE
Charles Godfrey CB

I know its crazy but I take Harvey over CB Jenkins and RB Stewert.
Old 03-10-2008   #18
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona - Aqib Talib
Minnesota - Phillip Merling

Texans are on the clock...
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

cmon LZ the anticipation is killing me.
Old 03-10-2008   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Could Seattle trade up for Stewert? Not likely with FA moves. Who else?

Could Carl Nicks be an option since the price of Guards has gone up in FA and we have failed to find any worthy of their asking price?

Last edited by mussop; 03-10-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read