Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-07-2008   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Chad

Chad Johnson supposedly punched his coach in the face...I heard that rumor but never saw anyone really back it up till now.
Quote:
Pro Football Talk (or, as they're known in the mainstream media, "internet reports") reported at the time that Chad Johnson took a swing at Marvin Lewis. Boomer Esiason said he heard something similar, but Johnson, Lewis, and everyone else involved denied it.

And now, Shaun Smith, currently a defensive tackle with the Browns, and former occupant of the same position with the Bengals, says that the punch did happen.

PFT had a YouTube video of the interview that's since been taken down. Fortunately, they did jot down some quotes before it magically disappeared. Here's what Smith said of Johnson:

“He swung on Marvin. . . . [Johnson] shattered the training room glass. . . . He swung on Marvin [and] hit Marvin in the eye. . . . Then he tried to swing on wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, who’s now in Baltimore.”

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #2
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: The Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Chad Johnson supposedly punched his coach in the face...I heard that rumor but never saw anyone really back it up till now.
Woah, crazy.
Old 03-07-2008   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never thought much of Chad Johnson. For as long as he's been around the NFL I've read posts on this board and previous versions of the official board claiming that he's not a problem and that he's not another T.O. Somehow his antics always seem to be characterized as just him being "fun" and asserting his personality (or some such BS).

Chad is what he is and that is a walking life support system for an ego just like T.O. He's one of those extremely talented players that I'd pass on every single time he became available. By the time he gets his head right and grows up he'll be within a few years of retirement and just wanting to secure his "legacy".
Old 03-08-2008   #4
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I've never thought much of Chad Johnson. For as long as he's been around the NFL I've read posts on this board and previous versions of the official board claiming that he's not a problem and that he's not another T.O. Somehow his antics always seem to be characterized as just him being "fun" and asserting his personality (or some such BS).

Chad is what he is and that is a walking life support system for an ego just like T.O. He's one of those extremely talented players that I'd pass on every single time he became available. By the time he gets his head right and grows up he'll be within a few years of retirement and just wanting to secure his "legacy".
Agreed.
Old 03-09-2008   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I've never cared for the guy. While I've always recognized his amazing football talents, his big mouth and look-at-me showboating was always indicative of deeper issues, IMO. And now, it looks like my take was right all along. Dude is a lockerroom cancer, and even worse when taking swings at well respected coaches.

Give me a workaholic, and quiet, AJ or Marvin Harrison any day over these field clowns. I don't care how good you are, if your attitude stinks, you are a detriment to the team.
Old 03-09-2008   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Somehow his antics always seem to be characterized as just him being "fun" and asserting his personality (or some such BS).
I used to subscribe to that theory up until about 2 years ago. Now I've swung to the other side of the fence. He talks too much, most certainly is not clutch (good, yes. clutch, no.), and the whole post touchdown antic thing is a bit tired.

Take all that and combine it with his latent azzholery at the Pro Bowl and the reports that he punched his HC.... well, I'm thinking that he belongs on our All-Psycho Team.
Old 03-09-2008   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

A self-professed Hall of Famer should have the ability of self-restraint...

Old 03-09-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I used to subscribe to that theory up until about 2 years ago. Now I've swung to the other side of the fence. He talks too much, most certainly is not clutch (good, yes. clutch, no.), and the whole post touchdown antic thing is a bit tired.

Take all that and combine it with his latent azzholery at the Pro Bowl and the reports that he punched his HC.... well, I'm thinking that he belongs on our All-Psycho Team.
I went with the Chad was "fun" stuff too. At the time he never seemed to be showing up anyone and it seemed more of just what he could pull off. I never felt teammates thought bad of him or that he was a cancer.

After this past year and his attitude lately...I disagree with myself. I still don't see him as TO but he definitely is making things bad on himself.
Old 03-09-2008   #9
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I went with the Chad was "fun" stuff too. At the time he never seemed to be showing up anyone and it seemed more of just what he could pull off. I never felt teammates thought bad of him or that he was a cancer.

After this past year and his attitude lately...I disagree with myself. I still don't see him as TO but he definitely is making things bad on himself.
His antics are just a classic example of:

1) Winning = fun and charismatic

2) Losing = Headcase and locker room cancer
Old 03-09-2008   #10
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
His antics are just a classic example of:

1) Winning = fun and charismatic

2) Losing = Headcase and locker room cancer
What turned me is less the sideline routines and more of the campaigning while at the Pro Bowl for a trade. You just don't say that you'd "love to play for [insert team name here]" when you're under contract for the next few years.

They did an interview at the PB with Chad and TJ Houshmazilly and you could feel the tension between the two. You got the impression that TJ wanted to crack him between the eyes.
Old 03-09-2008   #11
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Ocho: "Its all taken care of now, nothing to see here."

Lewis: " I was supposed to line up the hand towels a certain way...i'm sorry Chad...I deserve it."
Old 03-10-2008   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
What turned me is less the sideline routines and more of the campaigning while at the Pro Bowl for a trade. You just don't say that you'd "love to play for [insert team name here]" when you're under contract for the next few years.
I found that display to be a bit unprofessional, as well.
Old 03-10-2008   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If I were in charge of the Bengals, I'd trade him to Al Davis for as much as I could garner. CJ thinks he hates playing for a losing team now? LOL.
Old 03-10-2008   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If I were in charge of the Bengals, I'd trade him to Al Davis for as much as I could garner. CJ thinks he hates playing for a losing team now? LOL.
I like it. The sad but funny thing is, Davis would make the trade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read