Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-07-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Speechless Mock Draft-Texans

I appreciate the senior writer taking time to do the write up
must be a long and tedious thing doing a mock on 32 teams

I dumbfounded on where this guy gets info..
I want to comment but..
Wow, just Wow

Quote:
Pick No. 18: Houston Texans

The Houston Texans made what turned out to be one of the shrewdest draft decisions in recent NFL history when they selected Mario Williams over Reggie Bush.

In the two years since that draft, Mario Williams has become a nearly unstoppable defensive force and Reggie Bush has become a poor man’s Warrick Dunn.

Score one for Charlie Casserly.

Casserly may be an annoying know-it-all on CBS, but he was unfairly forced out of Houston for passing over Reggie Bush.

His ridiculous excuse that he picked the most “signable” player aside, Mario Williams was the right pick.

Don’t forget, he also grabbed DeMeco Ryans in the second round (who is a pretty good player in his own right) and Owen Daniels in the fourth round (who is a fantastic video game tight-end).

Point is, Casserly was right and everyone else was wrong.

This year the Texans have some obvious needs. They could use some offensive line help, as was evident by the fact that Matt Schaub was nearly killed last season.

Being in the Colts’ division, they could also use a corner. Especially considering the fact that Dunta Robinson might not play this season, and if he does, he won't be 100%.

But unlike 2006, in the 2008 NFL draft there will be a running back available that they just can’t pass up…
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...Houston_Texans
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Speachless Mock Draft-Texans

his pick

Quote:
The Pick: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon

Last edited by Wolf; 03-07-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

unstoppable defensive force? umm, I must have missed that. Mario has been nice and has proven to be the right pick but I think unstoppable force is a bit over the top....even for the most fervent Texans fan. I hope he turns into an unstoppable force but right now he is just a top DE who has shown lots of promise but has still had games where he was quite stoppable.
Old 03-07-2008   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Stewart, what I been saying. (Unless Williams LT is there)
Old 03-07-2008   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
unstoppable defensive force? umm, I must have missed that. Mario has been nice and has proven to be the right pick but I think unstoppable force is a bit over the top....even for the most fervent Texans fan. I hope he turns into an unstoppable force but right now he is just a top DE who has shown lots of promise but has still had games where he was quite stoppable.
No ... I watched his highlite film and he was in on every tackle .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #6
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
3 1/2 sacks and 7 tackles is as close to unstoppable as I've seen out of a DE in quite a while. Add defensive lineman of the year to that and I simply cant understand your reservations. I'm not the MOST fervent either, just fervent
Old 03-07-2008   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Speechless Mock Draft-Texans

If we go RB with #18, I would really like Mendenhall/Stewart in that order.

But I strongly feel we will go CB with #18.
Old 03-07-2008   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Why do people still think that the Mario pick was the reason why Casserly was fired? And it has also been documented that Casserly and Kubiak had been high on Mario for a while and actually signed him to a higher contract than they offered Bush.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I want to comment but..
Wow, just Wow

WOW. Casserly gets the credit?! What about the trade back for Travis Johnson move? Jason Babin? Buccannon trade? I know all the fault doesn't land at Casserly's feet but it isn't a coincidence that "his" last draft was the same one that Kubiak comes on board?

How come Charlie's out of a job still?

*shakes head*
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I want to comment but..
Wow, just Wow

Casserly wasn't run out of town because of the Mario over Reggie pick. He was run out of town because of several bad drafts and FA signings, not just that pick alone.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It was pretty much common knowledge that Casserley was a short-timer before the '06 draft ever took place. I think folks took advantage of his incompetency to vent their displeasure when the Mario pick was made (and if the Texans chose to use him to deflect that criticism a little bit, that was probably smart), but there's absolutely nothing to the idea that Mario was behind his departure. Off-topic a little bit, but while I didn't like the Mario pick much at the time, I always try to remember Robert Horry and Donovan McNabb whenever a situation like that comes up.

As to this year, I wouldn't mind either Mendenhall or Stewart at #18, but even if one of them is there (which isn't a given), I just believe the Texans will go CB with the pick. Probably the main possiblity of this not happening is if either Chris Williams or Jeffrey Otah is still there (my guess is they're both gone), and the powers that be have the guy that's there rated very highly.

However this shakes out, I'd be happy with either RB mentioned, either OT mentioned, as well as a few potential CB's (or trading down if they can do it).
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I have to say it again.

Hilarious how when Mario wasn't playing well, he was Casserly's pick... then suddenly he had nothing to do with it and he was Kubiak's pick.

Nothing in life is ever so black and white. Charlie Casserly has made good and bad decisions in his career, just like most other GMs. Everything I've ever read from legit sources says that Casserly was higher on Mario than anyone else, and that we ended up taking him because of his signability... the F.O. was concerned that Bush would have a long, extended holdout and they didn't want to deal with that.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't have a source other than his own imagination. There is zero credibility to the idea Casserly went off without Kubiak and McNair's approval and drafted Mario---and then got fired for not drafting Bush. It was reported well before the draft that Kubiak was making the final decisions on that draft. Just look at the reporting on Owen Daniels--Kubiak right after the draft said Casserly convinced him to make that pick.
Old 03-08-2008   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He doesn't have a source other than his own imagination. There is zero credibility to the idea Casserly went off without Kubiak and McNair's approval and drafted Mario---and then got fired for not drafting Bush. It was reported well before the draft that Kubiak was making the final decisions on that draft. Just look at the reporting on Owen Daniels--Kubiak right after the draft said Casserly convinced him to make that pick.
I spoke to an out of town reporter the other day. He told me that he recently interviewed Casserly. Apparently, Casserly is now teaching a course on how to get and keep a job in sports. My response was, "What, he is telling students to shift blame to others and rewrite history?"

He laughed because he said that Casserly did some blame shifting in his interview.

How about Casserly saying last offseason that Carr was still a great quarterback? Genius.

And the best information about the last draft suggests that Casserly wanted to announce the Bush pick early. To make it a done deal like the Carr pick. And that he was told to put a lid on it (because he was already gossiping to that affect) because Reeves said that at a minimum they needed to explore trades and other options.

Casserly was high on the Williams pick, but did a huge disservice in the way he sprung the pick on the public. The Texans didn't educate the public or the media about Williams' benefits at all--they just sold him as a combine wonder, which was not a true characterization of his college career.
Old 03-08-2008   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bobby Beathard made CC the way the Gerry Hunsicker made Tim Pupura .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

To the revisionists et al.

Casserly was gone when McNair hired Reeves as a consultant, without Casserly's knowledge, several months before the '06 draft. He was a lame duck from that point forward and McNair wasn't about to put the future of the franchise in the hand of a lame duck - especially one that had already proven himself a quack.

I'll never forget the slip of the tongue by McNair on SR610 the day that Reeves was hired... when he revealed how tired he was of his GM telling him things like "that's not how we do it in the NFL." What's in quotes were McNair's exact words and while he didn't mention who said those words other than "people" it was so telling to me that I remember where I was when I heard it (taking a left on Bay Area Blvd off Hwy 3). It became obvious to me then, that Casserly was done as a GM - I wrote about it somewhere. I think that was December '05 iirc.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
To the revisionists et al.

Casserly was gone when McNair hired Reeves as a consultant, without Casserly's knowledge, several months before the '06 draft. He was a lame duck from that point forward and McNair wasn't about to put the future of the franchise in the hand of a lame duck - especially one that had already proven himself a quack.

I'll never forget the slip of the tongue by McNair on SR610 the day that Reeves was hired... when he revealed how tired he was of his GM telling him things like "that's not how we do it in the NFL." What's in quotes were McNair's exact words and while he didn't mention who said those words other than "people" it was so telling to me that I remember where I was when I heard it (taking a left on Bay Area Blvd off Hwy 3). It became obvious to me then, that Casserly was done as a GM - I wrote about it somewhere. I think that was December '05 iirc.
if you cant tell, im pretty bored

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...t=15562&page=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
This is about as big a 'no confidence' vote you could give Casserly without outright firing him. It's similar to when Dom brought in Pendry. Shocking and a bit strange.

Put this together with this McNair quote from the Justice article the other day and it's clear McNair is publicly hanging his GM out to dry.

When you're new, I think there's a feeling you have to do everything your football people tell you. You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL.'

I wouldn't be surprised if this starts a chain of events leading to Casserly's resignation. Casserly's contract is up soon anyway isn't it? He was hired in early '00 so he will hit the 6 year mark in a few weeks.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Everything I've ever read from legit sources says that Casserly was higher on Mario than anyone else, and that we ended up taking him because of his signability... the F.O. was concerned that Bush would have a long, extended holdout and they didn't want to deal with that.
Wrong. The numbers between Bush's people and the Texans were actually pretty close and we actually signed Mario to a contract that was higher than what we offered Bush. I think we picked Mario because we felt a dominant pass rusher was more important than a running back who wasn't a feature back.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Casserly was high on the Williams pick, but did a huge disservice in the way he sprung the pick on the public. The Texans didn't educate the public or the media about Williams' benefits at all--they just sold him as a combine wonder, which was not a true characterization of his college career.
I find your posts very insightful & always interesting

Thanks Casserly, because of your eneptness I've become a huge draft junkie

I was sold on taking Vince Young because Carr had to go.

It certainly would have helped make more sense if they had educated the fans (NFL Network one year away) myself included, but it would still have probably not been enough to change my mind. Carr was clearly a need that had to be addressed even if it meant bypassing bpa. Luckily Kubiak came on board to right the ship, then since Rick arrived we've never looked back, that is until now. with that thought in mind if Rick Smith & Texans felt they need another DE (RDE) one with mind blowing combine numbers & impressive College game film in the 1st rd. (Derrick Harvey, Florida) then count me in.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #20
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll pass on the "who picked Mario" debate. The last thing I want to do is revisit Spring 2006.

As much as I want to blast the mocker for having the Raiders take Desean Jackson at #4, I'll refrain because I appreciate mocks like these. Better a dumb mock than no mock.

That having been said, this is a dream mock for us. Stewart and Mendenhall both still out there along with Chris Williams. And with so many CBs showing first round potential (McKelvin, Jenkins, Talib, Rogers-Cromartie, Flowers, Cason), having only three off the board is pretty good, too.

So let me try to redirect the thread from Charlie Casserly: if Stewart, Mendenhall, Williams, DRC, Flowers and Cason are still on the board at 18, which way do we go if we cannot trade down?

If what I'm reading about him being an ideal ZBS tackle, then Williams is definitely my pick. If he is as good as advertised, then I think we'll be solid on the OL everywhere but center for the next few years. Otherwise, I probably go with DRC even though I might be biased because of the name. So what do ya'll think in that scenario?
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read