Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2008   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gosselin's Draft Coverage

As always (3rd year now) I'll be doing my best to keep up with Rick Gosselin's NFL Draft coverage. For those of y'all who don't know, Gosselin is the publisher of one of the nation's most accurate mock drafts. To do this he relies on his sources within NFL teams, including the scouting departments. He freely admits he does not watch that much tape of any player. So while his final mock, he usually does 3, is greatness everything else he does on the draft should be treated like all other draft guru's, with a huge grain of salt.

So without any further rambling be me, here is Goose's post-combine Top 10.
Linkage:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...d.34284ee.html

Quote:
1. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
2. Darren McFadden, HB, Arkansas
3. Chris Long, DE, Virginia
4. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
5. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
6. Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
7. Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern California
8. Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
9. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
10. Keith Rivers, LB, Southern California
My comments:
Harvey at 8 is a touch of a surprise, as is Rivers at 10 (but to a lesser extent). Odd that none of the DBs made his top 10. Mendenhall at 9 is higher then I've seen him usually as well.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-06-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gosselin's Draft Coverage

Harvey really impressed some teams at the combine. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go top 10. He is #11 on my board.

McKelvin is slightly overrated. He has hands of stone. But I still think he is the first DB off the board.

I have Mendenhall #9 on my board.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

My Post-Combine Mock top 10

1. Miami Chris Long, DE/OLB- defensive cornerstone, smart, adaptable
2. St. Louis Jake Long, OT- OL best of class measureables/experience
3. Atlanta Glenn Dorsey, DT- emotional leadership, dynamic run stopper
4. Oakland Darren McFadden, RB- best athlete in draft, offensive weapon
5. Kansas City Matt Ryan, QB- skill player first, most ready Pro QB prospect
6. NY Jets Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB- agressive edge rusher, workout warrior
7. NE Patriots Leodis McKelvin, CB- best corner available, instinctive
8. Baltimore Ryan Clady, OT- great addtion to aging OL
9. Cincinnati Derrick Harvey, DE- flashes of greatness, playmaker
10. New Orleans Mike Jenkins, CB- smooth, fluid cover corner

note: don't know if anyone seen this - Ryan Clady ran a 5.18 forty and posted a 31" vertical at the Boise State Pro Day.

Gosselin Top 10 Draft Board-

4. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 03-05-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: adding pro day workout of Clady
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks again, Hoth-Boy.

Quote:
4. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
I think Parcells is trying to sell Ryan as the #1 pick to interested teams like Atlanta, Kansas City, & Baltimore.
If that deal can't be made, I think Chris Long & Gholston go 1-2 in some order.
I don't see a buyer for McFadden until the Jets pick at #6.
None of the top CBs have separated themselves from the pack.

Based on this Gosselin info, this would be my top 10 mock (no trades):

1. Miami - Vernon Gholston - Parcells loves edge rushers
2. St. Louis - Chris Long - Would look great next to last's years 1st, Adam Carriker
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Refuses to go for Parcells bluff, get their QB at a better price
4. Oakland - Glenn Dorsey - Davis will take a defender to please Rob Ryan, Harvey would also be a possibility
5. Kansas City - Jake Long - The easiest pick to make
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden - Tangini took care of needs by overspending in free agency, now they get their superstar
7. New England - Derrick Harvey - The pass rush looked weak in the playoffs, Belichick is mentor to Florida's Urban Meyer
8. Baltimore - Chris Williams - Top 10 shocker
9. Cincinnati - Keith Rivers - Lewis needs some leadership on this defense
10. New Orleans - Sedrick Ellis - More talent to stop the defensive hemorrhaging
Old 03-05-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Thanks again, Hoth-Boy.

I think Parcells is trying to sell Ryan as the #1 pick to interested teams like Atlanta, Kansas City, & Baltimore.
If that deal can't be made, I think Chris Long & Gholston go 1-2 in some order.
I don't see a buyer for McFadden until the Jets pick at #6.
None of the top CBs have separated themselves from the pack.

Based on this Gosselin info, this would be my top 10 mock (no trades):

1. Miami - Vernon Gholston - Parcells loves edge rushers
2. St. Louis - Chris Long - Would look great next to last's years 1st, Adam Carriker
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan - Refuses to go for Parcells bluff, get their QB at a better price
4. Oakland - Glenn Dorsey - Davis will take a defender to please Rob Ryan, Harvey would also be a possibility
5. Kansas City - Jake Long - The easiest pick to make
6. NY Jets - Darren McFadden - Tangini took care of needs by overspending in free agency, now they get their superstar
7. New England - Derrick Harvey - The pass rush looked weak in the playoffs, Belichick is mentor to Florida's Urban Meyer
8. Baltimore - Chris Williams - Top 10 shocker
9. Cincinnati - Keith Rivers - Lewis needs some leadership on this defense
10. New Orleans - Sedrick Ellis - More talent to stop the defensive hemorrhaging
I'm not biting on Rivers. Williams does not fit Baltimores system better than Clady if they where to take the LT route. would Al pass on McFadden?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-06-2008   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think ellis goes higher than alot of people have him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think along with J.Long & Clady, Chris Williams will be the third LT to be
drafted in the top 10 this year and there's a strong chance that Jeff Otah could be near top-10.
The demand for guys who have the potential to play LT in the NFL hit an all-time high last year when Levi Brown, basically a RT with dubious pass-blocking skills, was taken as the second top 5 overall LT after Joe Thomas in the "hopes" that he could protect Matt Leinerts back-side, and this years crop of LTs is far superior to last years.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2008   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
drafted in the top 10 this year and there's a strong chance that Jeff Otah could be near top-10.
The demand for guys who have the potential to play LT in the NFL hit an all-time high last year when Levi Brown, basically a RT with dubious pass-blocking skills, was taken as the second top 5 overall LT after Joe Thomas in the "hopes" that he could protect Matt Leinerts back-side, and this years crop of LTs is far superior to last years.
I watched Otah move at the combine OL drills and he is pretty stiff and can't bend well....don't like him all that much personally just based on his body language and inability to bend at the waist. Guys who are that stiff are sometimes known to have names such as Todd Wade, Seth Wand or Herman Munster....I wouldn't touch him in the top ten.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I watched Otah move at the combine OL drills and he is pretty stiff and can't bend well....don't like him all that much personally just based on his body language and inability to bend at the waist. Guys who are that stiff are sometimes known to have names such as Todd Wade, Seth Wand or Herman Munster....I wouldn't touch him in the top ten.
Pittsburgh OLT Jeff Otah may have as much upside as any player in the draft. Having come from Nigeria when he was seven and not playing organized football until his senior year in high school, he is still learning how to use angles and take advantage of his immensely talented skill set. He has terrific size with long arms and great foot quickness. Despite being relatively raw and only starting two years, he has shown he could handle his own, having given Virginia DE Chris Long his most challenging matchup the past two years, getting the better of him this season and not giving up a sack or allowing any penetration deep in the backfield.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...itionrptOL.htm
PFW obviously disagrees with you.
Old 03-06-2008   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pittsburgh OLT Jeff Otah may have as much upside as any player in the draft. Having come from Nigeria when he was seven and not playing organized football until his senior year in high school, he is still learning how to use angles and take advantage of his immensely talented skill set.
I hate to say it, but this is exactly the type of player the former regime would fall in love with. The less experience a prospect had, the more they liked him. If only he were injured and from a mid-major, Casserly would trade up to get him.
Old 03-06-2008   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Pittsburgh OLT Jeff Otah may have as much upside as any player in the draft. Having come from Nigeria when he was seven and not playing organized football until his senior year in high school, he is still learning how to use angles and take advantage of his immensely talented skill set. He has terrific size with long arms and great foot quickness. Despite being relatively raw and only starting two years, he has shown he could handle his own, having given Virginia DE Chris Long his most challenging matchup the past two years, getting the better of him this season and not giving up a sack or allowing any penetration deep in the backfield.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...itionrptOL.htm
PFW obviously disagrees with you.
I'm haven't been impressed with pfw since Joel Buschbaum died. He may be a player eventually but most players that project well are "natural benders". Not everyone is athletic in this area but may have great feet or a massive upper body. Otah had great feet but otherwise looked like a stiff to me. When it comes to guys this size, some guys can bend and some guys just have that Frankentackle thing going on and it limits how good they can be. He could play with a sheet of plywood taped to his back and not notice.

Old 03-06-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
What on earth are you on

Quote:
oh no you didn't.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-06-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm haven't been impressed with pfw since Joel Buschbaum died. He may be a player eventually but most players that project well are "natural benders". Not everyone is athletic in this area but may have great feet or a massive upper body. Otah had great feet but otherwise looked like a stiff to me. When it comes to guys this size, some guys can bend and some guys just have that Frankentackle thing going on and it limits how good they can be. He could play with a sheet of plywood taped to his back and not notice.
I'm curious, do you think Chris Long is any good ?
Old 03-06-2008   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

oh no you didn't.
I dunno what that is supposed to mean ?
Old 03-06-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I've been more impressed with his combine than I have been when watching him play but I haven't seen him enough to give any gut feelings other than he looks like an Aaron Kampman type player. They are similar sized and ran similar times. Long is a little faster but not much.

Old 03-06-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Levi Brown was my favorite player in last years draft. your observations regarding him are so off base I would consider them to be inflamatory but since you seem naive enough that no ill intent was meant none will be taken. we'll just leave it at that.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-06-2008   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beerlover had a huge mancrush on Levi last year.

If the Cards hadn't taken him and if we had passed on him, Beerlover might have suicided.

Luckily, such a tragedy was averted by the Card's selection.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Beerlover had a huge mancrush on Levi last year.

If the Cards hadn't taken him and if we had passed on him, Beerlover might have suicided.

Luckily, such a tragedy was averted by the Card's selection.
his Levi avatar was on long into the season last year....Looking at beerlover's account was like reading sad poetry.

Old 03-06-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
14 sacks by a DE in a 3-4 defense is pretty good.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
14 sacks by a DE in a 3-4 defense is pretty good.
He was used as the primary edge rusher instead of the linebacker quite a bit. He's a little small to be a traditional 3-4 DE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read