Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2008   #1
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Draft RB/LT w 1st Pick to Finally Develop an Identity

To me, it seems we're staring at the first true opportunity to make a run for the playoffs in the upcoming year. Yet, we have talent gaps. More importantly, we have yet to develop an identity.

Every team needs a calling card or a phase of the game that is highly consistent. Our offense is well ahead of our defense and is closest to reaching that level. (I would normally gravitate towards building a team based on defense.) QB, WR, TE are strengths. My lean is to use the first round pick on RB or LT to solidify our offensive unit, and between those choices, my lean would be to pick Mendenhall or Stewart if available.

Either of those guys would make a huge impact on the offense right away, even if we stand pat with our O-Line and just let them get coached up by Gibbs. Our offense was pretty decent last year, even with the rash of injuries. Health permitting, we have an excellent WR corps that has serious upside in Jacoby Jones. OD is an emerging talent at TE. Schaub and Sage are steady and have upside as well. I think we have a chance to be a top 10 offense this year if we pick up a legitimate back like Mendenhall or Stewart. Possibly higher if Schaub, Jones and Mendenhall/Stewart develop. Obviously, this would help to keep the Peyton Mannings of the world off the field and help our defense.

That said, if Smith/Kubiak like Chris Williams, I'm ok with that, but I don't think he'd have as much impact this year. I usually have a longer term outlook and don't focus on "this year", but I think it's important for the Texans to do so.

We need to develop a culture/expectation of winning, and near term success would do wonders for the mentality of this organization and the perception by players in free agency. (Also, there's a part of me that would just like to see a talented young runningback tote the rock. If this is about entertainment, I'd enjoy knowing that Mendenhall or Stewart could go the distance on any given play.)

I can see how many would prefer to go LT/CB/RB or CB/LT/RB in rounds 1, 3 and 4. I generally agree that it's easier to find a diamond in the rough at RB in round 4 than the other opsitions. However, I think Mendenhall and Stewart have the ability to be special.

First thread after years of lurking. Would enjoy hearing the thoughts of others.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft RB/LT w 1st Pick to Finally Develop an Identity

excellent first post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Drafting a good CB will help us build an identity of a monster defense. This draft has too many good running backs to pick one in the first round.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Drafting a good CB will help us build an identity of a monster defense. This draft has too many good running backs to pick one in the first round.
Agreed. The identity we want to build is a dominant defense.
Old 03-05-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

as with any postion it depends on who is available, bpa or trade down offers

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-05-2008   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
as with any postion it depends on who is available, bpa or trade down offers
As it always does, but the original poster was posing the "what if" to drafting a player solely in attempt to establish an identity.

I do not believe we are ready to draft like that just yet. We have holes to fill still, granted FA isn't over, but we aren't ready to add a marque player like McFadden (only an example of talent) to our team. We needs a few more pieces before we can establish our identity. Also, remember that our defense is young, very young. Mario, Okoye, Ryans, Bennett, and even TJ. You have to realize that this team has been orchestrated for our defense to be the identity of our team. When those young players come into their own, our defense will leapfrog our offense as the better unit, and honestly, I feel the defense is closer to being our identity than the offense. Defense gets us to the playoffs, that will be our identity.
Old 03-05-2008   #7
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected

Given my druthers, I'd rather build a defensive identity too. But I differ on my outlook regarding our defensive talent. Mario has the makings of a long term stud. DeMeco too. After that, we have average or below average players everywhere. Okoye will hopefully develop into a plus player, if not premier. Our OLB's are no better than decent NFL starters, and possibly worse. Our entire secondary is the same.

In contrast, on offense, we have plus players at QB, TE, WR, featuring Andre Johnson as the pro bowler, with JJones, OD, Schaub, Davis, Winston as plus players with legitimate upside.

Looking at it from every angle, I just don't see the defensive talent being close to ready to becoming our identity. We're another draft away from being there.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2008   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
we aren't ready to add a marque player like McFadden (only an example of talent) to our team.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all. Teams draft marque players all the time when they aren't already playoff teams--in fact that is generally how they get them. Did it not make sense for us to draft AJ in 2003?

Having a good D is obviously important and something Kubiak values, but keep in mind that Kubiak is an O guy. Having said that, I think he is confident enough in his coaching the O that he doesn't mind spending picks on D as he did with Mario, Demeco and Okoye.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-05-2008 at 01:35 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #9
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all. Teams draft marque players all the time when they aren't already playoff teams--in fact that is generally how they get them. Did it not make sense for us to draft AJ in 2003?

Having a good D is obviously important and something Kubiak values, but keep in mind that Kubiak is an O guy. Having said that, I think he is confident enough in his coaching the O that he doesn't mind spending picks on D as he did with Mario, Demeco and Okoye.
Exactly, Marquee players are usally taken in the first 5 spots of the draft.
Old 03-05-2008   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Good 1st post!

I don't know about establishing an identity or which side of the ball is closer to being dominate, but I will say, IMO, there is a drop off in talent after McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart. I'm not as sold on most of the other RB's as most people are on this board. Most seem to be the light weight "scatback" types like Reggie Bush. So, I agree with you that if Mendenhall or Stewart are there at #18, then we should take either one. But in all honesty, with the way it looks now, I think both will probably be gone by #18, and if that's the case, I hope we look at CB, LT, or trade down. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it when I see a kid who takes a no name team and makes them good. That being said, I will not get mad if we pass on the RB until round 3 and get Ray Rice.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

with our recent FA moves (and especially if the sage trade goes ahead), anybody see us taking derrick harvey if hes still there at #18? that'd be awesome- partly because it has the makings of a great d-line (and identity) and partly because of the reaction of some

then go something like
2nd: OL (anthony collins)
3rd: RB (rice/forte/kevin smith)
4th: CB (chevis jackson/trae williams)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #13
jmont93
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I like it when I see a kid who takes a no name team and makes them good. That being said, I will not get mad if we pass on the RB until round 3 and get Ray Rice.
Getting a guy like Ray Rice in the third round and drafting Chris Williams in the first would be a solid first two picks.
jmont93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Exactly, Marquee players are usally taken in the first 5 spots of the draft.
I was Mario Williams would be the #1 pick in this (08) draft class too. Mario's numbers where just dumbfounding 6070 295 lbs & ran a 4.70 forty are you kdding me? then you add in a 40 1/2 vertical, 35 reps on the bench with long arms (34 1/8). I'm guessing he would also have been the #1 pick in 05 & 07.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-05-2008   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I would cream my pants if we got Chris Williams and Ray Rice in the same draft!!!
Old 03-05-2008   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I would cream my pants if we got Chris Williams and Ray Rice in the same draft!!!
Is that allowed with your celebacy pledge?
Old 03-05-2008   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Good 1st post!

I don't know about establishing an identity or which side of the ball is closer to being dominate, but I will say, IMO, there is a drop off in talent after McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart. I'm not as sold on most of the other RB's as most people are on this board. Most seem to be the light weight "scatback" types like Reggie Bush. So, I agree with you that if Mendenhall or Stewart are there at #18, then we should take either one. But in all honesty, with the way it looks now, I think both will probably be gone by #18, and if that's the case, I hope we look at CB, LT, or trade down. JMHO!

McFadden and Reggie Bush are more similar than most people care to realize.
Old 03-05-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i see what you're saying but mcfadden has a stiff arm reggie doesnt
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
McFadden and Reggie Bush are more similar than most people care to realize.
The only thing similar about McFadden and Bush is their speed. DMac runs with much more power then Bush - not even close. Also, Bush put up his numbers on a VERY talented team, not the same with D Mac. When Ark played everyone in the stadium knew who the ball was going to and he still put up numbers. They had little to no passing game. If you don't like a player thats fine but to compare a legit Rb that can tote the rock 25 times a game and be effective in an ultra tough conference like the SEC to a glorified 3rd down back (albeit a VERY good one) is not a fair one.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

McFadden may run with power if you hit him high, but if you touch his legs he goes down.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read