Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2008   #101
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demps Signed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
let me ask a couple questions. who holds the "urban legend" forty time (sub 4.2) @ the combine? & who said he had never seen anyone do that before (running technique, never raising head up)?
Dude its not unusual for someone to do this, just search it up in google and you'll find tons of article that list that as one of the technique.

Here, I found another one:

Drive Phase: Bringing your hips under and popping up is the worst thing you can do. You want a good forward lean with your head down until you get 12 to 15 yards out. Drive your elbows back to get your legs moving.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Con...3-ebded79242f1

There's tons of article out there that has this a "start out technique".

Besides, like I said just because he did this during the combine, doesn't means he'll do it during a game(unless he's about to pop someone). Unless you seen him play, and he had his head down while running/covering. But I'm willing to bet you never saw him play before.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #102
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
let me ask a couple questions. who holds the "urban legend" forty time (sub 4.2) @ the combine?
I'll take a stab at that... Jerome 'Smack that B**** Up' Mathis...???
Old 03-05-2008   #103
Ckw

Quote:
let me ask a couple questions. who holds the "urban legend" forty time (sub 4.2) @ the combine? & who said he had never seen anyone do that before (running technique, never raising head up)?
I thought it was Deion Sanders?
Old 03-05-2008   #104
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

We're all very pleased!

Move Harrison to SS, let CC backup both. That's what I say.
Old 03-05-2008   #105
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I thought it was Deion Sanders?
you sir, are correct

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #106
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Phillips did just fine at the combine. The dude is a football player, not a track star, and his instincts are second to none. Guy started at FS for UofM from the day he walked on campus at 18 years old and was High School POY his Senior Year of HS. The guy is an elite athlete with good football instincts and makes plays. He had an off Junior Year by his standards but that is the only reason he has a chance of lasting till #18 anyway. If he had replicated his freshman and sophomore years, he would be a lock for a Top 10 selection.

He would be another defensive player we could hang our hat on. Safety has become a very critical position over the years and a good safety tandem can cover a lot of deficiencies.
Old 03-05-2008   #107
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Found it. It was in Kubiaks post game quotes from the Miami game.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3745
Crap.

I had forgotten about that.

That's probably why he didn't get a bigger contract. Although I'm a little surprised he didn't test the waters more.

He may be purty, but he's a tough hard-hitten somb*tch!
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2008   #108
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Look at some of these highlights and tell me he doesnt deserve a spot on the Texans. He is just a football player and he makes plays, pure and simple.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dr...ips/3410268277

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcFea5fnyg

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 03-05-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #109
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Crap.

That's probably why he didn't get a bigger contract. Although I'm a little surprised he didn't test the waters more.

Since he went back in the game after they re-set the elbow I would hazard to say it's not that big of a deal.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #110
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 125605 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Crap.

I think a couple of teams might've taken a look at him, but the offer was probably similar to ours.

I agree. He definitely ain't skeered to lay a shalaylee on someone.

Old 03-05-2008   #111
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Since he went back in the game after they re-set the elbow I would hazard to say it's not that big of a deal.
Dude.

Ronnie Lott went back into a game after they amputated his finger. So I wouldn't use the "going back into a game" as a measure of the bigness of the deal.

Dislocated elbow being reset might not be as intense as lopping off body parts, but it's still a big deal. And Hou-Tex's original point was that if you dislocate your elbow, it might turn into a chronic sort of thing where it keeps poppin out. And that could be true.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #112
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 125605 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I dislocated my shoulder twice playing football. After the second time my arm would fall out of socket very easily. There were times I'd wake up in the morning and it'd be out of socket. I was playing with my daughter when she was a toddler and it fell out of socket putting her on the swing. I've since had 2 surgeries. One to tighten the ligaments and the second to remove bone fragments from the deteriorating socket.

Cloak can probably explain it better, but reoccurring dislocations not only stretch the ligaments it can scrape the bones together causing bone fragments.

Having said that, an elbow dislocating could be completely different. If so, I apologize for the spewage of my boohoo story.
Old 03-05-2008   #113
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00029

"Over time, there is an increased risk for arthritis in the elbow joint if the alignment of the bones is not good; the elbow does not move and rotate normally; or the elbow continues to dislocate."
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #114
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Love the signing, but we still have big question marks in terms of depth, or am I missing someone? I haven't seen any indication they're attempting to re-sign either Earl or Simmons, and they're both coming off IR. Behind them are two guys who we have no idea if they can really play in the NFL. So either Kubiak and Smith are really high on Harrison and Mitchell and/or they really weren't that impressed with Von Hutchins' play. Otherwise I can't understand why they wouldn't make more of an attempt to re-sign Hutchins - relatively cheap and versatile backup. Regardless, I think they still have to sign another safety, if for nothing else than training camp fodder.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #115
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

Ronnie Lott went back into a game after they amputated his finger. So I wouldn't use the "going back into a game" as a measure of the bigness of the deal.

Dislocated elbow being reset might not be as intense as lopping off body parts, but it's still a big deal. And Hou-Tex's original point was that if you dislocate your elbow, it might turn into a chronic sort of thing where it keeps poppin out. And that could be true.
I dislocated my elbow once, and it has never popped back out again. Now granted I was like 5 when it happened, but I think that since there is a difference, both in range of motion and structurally, between the elbow joint and the shoulder joint and therefore I don't think they can be compaired.

My main point was I don't think the injury had much of anything to do with where and for how much he signed. If he ws able to play in the same game, I'll not be concerned about it.

As for Lott, well...yes he is a badass.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #116
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Good signing. Still don't see an impact player back there and we need at least one impact safety. Maybe Harrison...
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #117
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I dont know what it is with the Texans and safeties, we just seem to settle for mediocre at those spots. Kubiak has made several comments on the subject and allways claims to like our situation at safety. I don't think we really fully use our safeties in run support the way some of the top defenses do. We seem to just use safeties as the "2 guys in the back". What doesn't make sense is, our guys aren't even that good in coverage or pursuit, so if they arent good at run support and can't cover, why does Kubiak act like we have solid safeties all the time? someone enlighten me.
Old 03-05-2008   #118
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Move Harrison to SS, let CC backup both. That's what I say.
I like Harrison at SS, but CC has been a starter for 3 years now. He has solid AFC South experience. Harrison may be the future, but he is coming off of an injury and he basically is a rookie. CC could have a breakout year beside Demps.

About the signing, I think it makes our secondary a hell of alot better. Demps is valuable because he can player either FS or SS, and he has valuable experience with great defenses, and other great players.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #119
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Look at some of these highlights and tell me he doesnt deserve a spot on the Texans. He is just a football player and he makes plays, pure and simple.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dr...ips/3410268277

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcFea5fnyg
Phillips is the most overrated player in this draft. If he hadnt played for Miami (S U) he would be rated a second rounder at best.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #120
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude.

That's actually a bit of an old wives tale...

Quote:
'It was split down the middle,' said Lott's college teammate Dennis Thurman, who played for the Cowboys at the time.

What Lott did after mangling his finger varies at times.

'I've heard the story goes I cut it off in the locker room myself and went back out,' Lott said.

He then joked, 'I forgot (the truth). It's like Babe Ruth pointing to center field. That's the kind of story it's turned out to be.'

In reality, Lott missed the remainder of the game, the final one of the regular season. He then had the finger temporarily repaired so he would be able to play in the NFC Wild Card game against the New York Giants the following week.

Eventually, doctors amputated the tip of the finger.
With that said though, he was still one tough SOB...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read