Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2008   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demps Signed!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression it separated again once he became a Texan, correct? Re-occurring dislocations normally take surgury to tighten the ligaments of the joint. Maybe that was his idea of having it "cleaned out". Who knows?
I hadn't heard about it re-separating.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think some people are misunderstanding the Reeves Signing. You don't sign a guy with that contract to play the Von Hutchins role. Barring us going CB first round and him having an amazing TC. I am fairly sure our starting CB's out of the gate next year will be Bennett and Reeves. He's not the guy people on this board wanted but he's who the staff felt fitted what they wanted.

The more I look at their safety choices the more I am inclined to believe we aren't going to have ball hawking safeties for the most part. They seem to want enforcers over the middle. The fact they tendered CC high says a lot.
Another view that I agree with. I see Reeves as the starter. Hutchins was allowed to leave as Smith thinks Reeves brings the total package. He is taller than Hutchins also. I commented elsewhere yesterday that I can't see Reeves coming to Htown thinking Smith would draft a starting CB. Not saying that a good CB can't be signed in 4th or 5th like Trae Williams or Darnell Terrell. That would strengthen the team.

I think the RBs start to disappear in third round. One or two LT candidates may be there in fourth.
Old 03-05-2008   #83
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Dadgum, I knew someone would question that. LOL! I'll see if I can find it, but I remember Kubiak mentioned something after a game. Then again, I do consume mass quantities of beer, so.......
Old 03-05-2008   #84
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Can we bring in Marlon as well and get this Safety thing locked up? Or do they play the same position?
There is a little blurb at the bottom of this article about McRee.

http://http://www.heraldonline.com/2...ry/407691.html

It basically says that he has narrowed his options down to Buffalo or Denver.

Take it FWIW.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #85
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would rather add some speed to play along side Demps & CC. Phillips is not fast (4.55) this sets up more for a 4.33 guy like DRC in 1st or Antwaun Molden, Eastern Kentucky 4.39 in 3rd.

ed reed ran a 4.7 at the combine so i suppose you'd hate it if we picked him up cos he's sooooo slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

If we draft nobody at S, I expect a pretty healthy competition between these guys:

Demps, Brown, Simmons, BHarrison, BMitchell...

When I look at that list, most of those guys I would categorize as cover safeties more than enforcers- though, I'm not sure how good they'll be nor do they have the kind of speed to be a ball-hawking centerfielder.
im pretty sure simmons (and earl) are both unsigned FA's
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #86
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
There is a little blurb at the bottom of this article about McRee.

http://http://www.heraldonline.com/2...ry/407691.html

It basically says that he has narrowed his options down to Buffalo or Denver.

Take it FWIW.
Well that's good. Den=Hou, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #87
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You apparently haven't read much of this thread.
Exactly, wanted to post my thoughts before going with the flavor of the day. My memory says a lot of folks were not too happy with Demps during the season. I remember responding to posts for Phillips to be drafted that we had a FS that had been selected to pro bowl after 8 starts and that was playing with an arm cast. I have now read the thread am happy with all the "aw, shucks, I knew he could do it all along."
Old 03-05-2008   #88
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He was like the 2nd or 3rd alternate. That's not making it to the Probowl.
And how many did not get that invite. Sorry to pee in your Post Toasties, but I like Demps. Our players don't get many awards. I'll take what I can get.
Old 03-05-2008   #89
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

ed reed ran a 4.7 at the combine so i suppose you'd hate it if we picked him up cos he's sooooo slow
I wasn't talking about FS prospects it was in reference to db's. safetys are all about intincts, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders two of the best to ever play @ their positions.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #90
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

nevertheless phillips is much faster than reed and 4.5 for a safety is fast.. his instincts are decent too
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #91
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Found it. It was in Kubiaks post game quotes from the Miami game.

Quote:
(on any new injuries and DT Travis Johnson’s knee) “You know what, he’s got a pretty bruised up knee. They’re actually doing an MRI on it today this afternoon. The initial look was that he was going to be fine, so I would say he’s day-to-day right now ‘til I get back with y’all. Will Demps dislocated an elbow; they were able to reset it. He actually went back into the game. It’s the same elbow that he’s had some issues with in the past year, but it looks like he’s going to be OK.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=3745

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
And how many did not get that invite. Sorry to pee in your Post Toasties, but I like Demps. Our players don't get many awards. I'll take what I can get.
Dude, relax I merely correcting your statement. I inserted a cool smiley to insure there was no offense. I like Demps and the way he ball-hawks.
Old 03-05-2008   #92
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
nevertheless phillips is much faster than reed and 4.5 for a safety is fast.. his instincts are decent too
Kenny's head was down his entire 40, needs to keep head up (Deion Sanders said he had never seen that before) on a pivot to recognize & react to use those intincts looks like SS material.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 03-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2008   #93
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I wasn't talking about FS prospects it was in reference to db's. safetys are all about intincts, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders two of the best to ever play @ their positions.
I don't get what you're trying to say...

You said you don't want Kenny because he doesn't bring enough speed to the backfield, but say safety is all about instincts? Well Phillips is known for his instincts, thats his strongest quality as a football player. I think he also play faster then his timed speed, besides a 4.5 isn't slow for a safety.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #94
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I don't get what you're trying to say...

You said you don't want Kenny because he doesn't bring enough speed to the backfield, but say safety is all about instincts? Well Phillips is known for his instincts, thats his strongest quality as a football player. I think he also play faster then his timed speed, besides a 4.5 isn't slow for a safety.
read above post

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-05-2008   #95
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tip 4 – Head Alignment

You have probably seen and heard many different ways to align your head while in the 3-point stance. Some coaches want you to keep your head down and looking back at your legs at the start. Other coaches believe that you should have your head up so that your eyes are looking forward. This may work on the football field since you need to see the ball snapped and know what's happening on the field, but we are looking to your body in the best 'exiting' position possible.
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Run...Dash&id=295321

It just his technique to try to time his fastest 40.

Just because he do that during the combine doesn't mean he would do it during a game, unless you seen him do it during a game...
Old 03-05-2008   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

don't forget about Michael Boulware. he is the Texans current back-up SS.

he ran a 4.5 is 6020 225

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-05-2008   #97
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Michael was a tweener from OLB to SS. Kenny's a true FS.
Old 03-05-2008   #98
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Run...Dash&id=295321

It just his technique to try to time his fastest 40.

Just because he do that during the combine doesn't mean he would do it during a game, unless you seen him do it during a game...
I dont think FS or SS usually line up in a three point stance during a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #99
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Don't matter, the writers must've been mistaken. But its true, my coach told me to put my head down and use it like a spear to help me run faster.

Besides, it a technique to help them on running the 40, they don't do it during a game...
Old 03-05-2008   #100
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Don't matter, the writers must've been mistaken. But its true, my coach told me to put my head down and use it like a spear to help me run faster.

Besides, it a technique to help them on running the 40, they don't do it during a game...
let me ask a couple questions. who holds the "urban legend" forty time (sub 4.2) @ the combine? & who said he had never seen anyone do that before (running technique, never raising head up)?

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read