Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Travis Johnson or Dewayne Robertson

relax, for informational purposes only.

Is Travis Johnson better suited for the 3-4 or 3-4?

How about Dewayne Robertson (Jets) which scheme works to his strength?

The reason I'm asking is the Jets trade to the Bengals fell apart & they are desperate to unload him & his contract. I believe he has been playing out of postion @ nose tackle & would be much more productive in a 4-3 like the Texans run next to Amobi Okoye.

In 2003 the Jets traded up to draft him (4th overall) since then changed coaching to Eric Mangini's 3-4 scheme. the Jets have upgraded the nose tackle position with Kris Jenkins (Panthers). the Jets gave up their 3rd & 5th rd. draft picks & where expecting 4th & 5th rd. picks in return for Robertson.

have no idea what trade value Travis Johnson is worth (3rd rd.) if any, in such a deal but I think Robertson would upgrade the interior D. Travis + a 5th rd. pick might work if you could do something with his bloated contract, I'll leave that for the cap experts to resolve.

just throwing it out there for discussion

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Travis Johnson or Dewayne Robertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I believe he has been playing out of postion @ nose tackle & would be much more productive in a 4-3 like the Texans run next to Amobi Okoye.
...so you want him to come here and play NT for us?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
relax, for informational purposes only.

Is Travis Johnson better suited for the 3-4 or 3-4?

How about Dewayne Robertson (Jets) which scheme works to his strength?

The reason I'm asking is the Jets trade to the Bengals fell apart & they are desperate to unload him & his contract. I believe he has been playing out of postion @ nose tackle & would be much more productive in a 4-3 like the Texans run next to Amobi Okoye.

In 2003 the Jets traded up to draft him (4th overall) since then changed coaching to Eric Mangini's 3-4 scheme. the Jets have upgraded the nose tackle position with Kris Jenkins (Panthers). the Jets gave up their 3rd & 5th rd. draft picks & where expecting 4th & 5th rd. picks in return for Robertson.

have no idea what trade value Travis Johnson is worth (3rd rd.) if any, in such a deal but I think Robertson would upgrade the interior D. Travis + a 5th rd. pick might work if you could do something with his bloated contract, I'll leave that for the cap experts to resolve.

just throwing it out there for discussion
I would say the 3-4.

As for the topic, I have no idea. To me DTs may be one fo the hardest positions to scout or determine a value to...unless the player is a beast and then he's worth he's weight in gold.

I think both are better suited to the 4-3, but I also think they are roughly the same guy.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
...so you want him to come here and play NT for us?
interior space eating one gap 4-3 tackle silly

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-04-2008   #5
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

I was a Jets fan for 30 years and finally gave up on them last year when I decided tobecome a Texan fan. I've really enjoyed watching the Texans and see a team that is going in the right direction. In rergards to DeWayne Robertson, true he was playing the nose in a 3-4 and he was out of position. The problem with him is he has a chronic knee problem with a bone on bone situation. To me, that spells TROUBLE! One turn the wrong way or getting caught in a pile and it would be all over. Not worth the risk and I really don't think he's that good. Another example of a guy who overachieved at the combine and the Jets jumped all over him and inflated his value. That's why they will always suck and I jumped ship after 30 years of mediocrity at best (Joe Namath is only a fond faint memory.)
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman View Post
I was a Jets fan for 30 years and finally gave up on them last year when I decided tobecome a Texan fan. I've really enjoyed watching the Texans and see a team that is going in the right direction. In rergards to DeWayne Robertson, true he was playing the nose in a 3-4 and he was out of position. The problem with him is he has a chronic knee problem with a bone on bone situation. To me, that spells TROUBLE! One turn the wrong way or getting caught in a pile and it would be all over. Not worth the risk and I really don't think he's that good. Another example of a guy who overachieved at the combine and the Jets jumped all over him and inflated his value. That's why they will always suck and I jumped ship after 30 years of mediocrity at best (Joe Namath is only a fond faint memory.)
welcome aboard

thanks for sharing that information, the condition of his knee says everything we need to know. for the record I've always enjoyed Jet fans passion on draft day I hope you can bring some of that down here too

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-04-2008   #7
brickman
Rookie

Quote:
welcome aboard

thanks for sharing that information, the condition of his knee says everything we need to know. for the record I've always enjoyed Jet fans passion on draft day I hope you can bring some of that down here too
Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy watching this team and the great thing is that I might be the only guy in Upstate NY rooting for them. My son just shakes his head when I sit down on Sundays to watch the game in my D. Ryans or A. Johnson jersey and my Texans hat and beer cup. I'm very passionate about football in general and the TEXANS in particular. They are a fun team to watch and I like the young nucleus.... they've just got to fill in at some spots ...... they seem to be going through free agency pretty intelligently.... not pissing away a lot of $ like some other teams. As someone on here said..... spending a lot of hig priced $ in free agency is the price you pay for drafting poorly. I think that is so true!!!
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2008   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Robertson is going to be available shortly for free as he is due a $3 mil roster bonus in March and then has a $6.8 mil salary next year.
Old 03-04-2008   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Wasn't Robertson a huge bust?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
which is the fancy term for......
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #11
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Robertson is a UT in a 4-3 scheme, the biggest reason why he hasn't been successful in NY is because they have him at NT in th 3-4.
Old 03-04-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you the only Texans fan in Rochester, NY ? Or maybe in all of NY state ?
But you're appreciated, we'll take all the support we can get.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #13
brickman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Are you the only Texans fan in Rochester, NY ? Or maybe in all of NY state ?
But you're appreciated, we'll take all the support we can get.
I think I am. That's why I picked the Texans. They are a good young team with a bright future...... and I wanted to be part of that!
Old 03-04-2008   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

That actually sounds like a great idea, if the bone on bone situation is not real.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #15
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
I can remember Rick Smith saying a while back on the web site that they want DT that can rush the passer. Thats why Amobi was so highly rated. Pass rushing DT's are actually very hard to come by, but when you have them, you create pressure without having to blitz as much.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #16
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd call its "Bust on Bust" action, but that makes it sound far more sexier than it is.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #17
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I'd call its "Bust on Bust" action, but that makes it sound far more sexier than it is.
LOL Very True

Travis in my opinion sucks. But the concept i think its right. If we had one of those 1 gap space eaters it might have been worse.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #18
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy watching this team and the great thing is that I might be the only guy in Upstate NY rooting for them.
That is one of the main reasons I'm a fan too. It's just nice to have it to call your own when the rest of my state are die-hard Pats fans.

the Superbowl was SOOOOO nice.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #19
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind the trade if there weren't problems with his knee. 2 first rounders who were drafted for one scheme but are now used for another changing scenerios could prove useful for both teams.

I think we may be gambling a little more than NY just because TJ is our starter while Robertson is just an overpaid backup and if Robertson gets hurt than we could fall into the situation we had a couple of years ago when we lost a lot of the D-line.

Plus do we really need another injury plagued player at least TJ has been, for the most part healthy.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #20
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
I wouldn't mind the trade if there weren't problems with his knee. 2 first rounders who were drafted for one scheme but are now used for another changing scenerios could prove useful for both teams.
I think we may be gambling a little more than NY just because TJ is our starter while Robertson is just an overpaid backup and if Robertson gets hurt than we could fall into the situation we had a couple of years ago when we lost a lot of the D-line.

Plus do we really need another injury plagued player at least TJ has been, for the most part healthy.
Actually, Travis Johnson was drafted from Florida State, which runs a 4-3 def. At the time he was drafted, we ran a 3-4 and at the time he was out of position. Now we run the 4-3 and he still sucks, so TIFWIW.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read