Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2008   #41
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Center John Wade and Safety Chris Crocker to Visit

OK i can live with the CB Jacques Reeves that the texans signed but come on Chris Crocker give me a beak I live in the ATL and he sucks and another old lineman in John Wade.
Old 03-04-2008   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
OK i can live with the CB Jacques Reeves that the texans signed but come on Chris Crocker give me a beak I live in the ATL and he sucks and another old lineman in John Wade.
Is there currently someone better on our roster? NO!
Old 03-04-2008   #43
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On my roster Pitts will continue to be the starter at left guard. Briesel to start on right with Studdard backing up or maybe starting. If McKinney is beat out at center, he can back up either guard spot.
I do not see us drafting a tackle that will beat Salaam out at LT at least initially. I hope Fry beats out Black as the LT backup (2nd or 3rd depending on how the LT draft pick does. So LT: Salaam, Draft pick, Frye. Left Guard: Pitts (and nobody much else needed so far) Center: McKinney, White & Eisenberger. Right Guard:Briesel, Studdard. RT: Winston, Rashard Butler. Spencer will beat someone out hopefully. With the exception of the draft pick in 08, all of these players were on board in 07 regardless of Roster, IR, PS or PUP.
Just curious, if the Texans are able to draft Chris Williams OT out of Vanderbilt at 18, do you think he can beat out Salaam by....sayyyy, the third game? I've just heard so many great things about Williams that I'd like to think that if we ARE able to draft him he can be an upgrade on our left side almost immediately.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #44
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Im still lost as to why we didnt resign hutchins. Young guy, versatile knows our system.....

It almost seemed like we didnt even try to resign him. Did he want too much money?

Dont get it.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #45
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 90531 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Im still lost as to why we didnt resign hutchins. Young guy, versatile knows our system.....

It almost seemed like we didnt even try to resign him. Did he want too much money?

Dont get it.
4 years $9 million with a $2.5 million signing bonus. IMO, he's not worth it. Then again, what FA is worth what they're getting this year?
Old 03-04-2008   #46
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
4 years $9 million with a $2.5 million signing bonus. IMO, he's not worth it. Then again, what FA is worth what they're getting this year?
DeMorrio Williams got underpaid, IMO.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #47
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Didnt we give Reeves close to that much in garaunteed? I thought Turner was worth it. Lotta people gave me static for it, but i stand by it. After all what are forums for?

If everyone agreed these forums would be mighty boring.
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2008   #48
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
DeMorrio Williams got underpaid, IMO.
We didn't want to sign him because it would confuse the fan base between Mario and Demario Williams and Demeco Ryans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Just curious, if the Texans are able to draft Chris Williams OT out of Vanderbilt at 18, do you think he can beat out Salaam by....sayyyy, the third game? I've just heard so many great things about Williams that I'd like to think that if we ARE able to draft him he can be an upgrade on our left side almost immediately.
I addressed this on another thread about who could be there at #18 based on several mocks. First, I do not see Williams at #18 but would as of right now select him over STewart or Mendenhall. Williams could be that franchise type LT. I see him playing as a starter 12 years and the RBs maybe 8. If Williams and either S. or M. is at 18 I hope we could arrange a trade down and still get the other and another pick. Don't see that happening either.
Old 03-04-2008   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Didnt we give Reeves close to that much in garaunteed? I thought Turner was worth it. Lotta people gave me static for it, but i stand by it. After all what are forums for?

If everyone agreed these forums would be mighty boring.
LOL! I'm not questioning your opinion. You're entitled to have your own.

I was just giving mine.
Old 03-04-2008   #51
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Williams should replace Salaam by Week 4 if we draft him. Has much better lateral movement in pass protection and is about equal in run blocking (which isn't his strength).
Old 03-04-2008   #52
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On my roster Pitts will continue to be the starter at left guard. Briesel to start on right with Studdard backing up or maybe starting. If McKinney is beat out at center, he can back up either guard spot.
I do not see us drafting a tackle that will beat Salaam out at LT at least initially. I hope Fry beats out Black as the LT backup (2nd or 3rd depending on how the LT draft pick does. So LT: Salaam, Draft pick, Frye. Left Guard: Pitts (and nobody much else needed so far) Center: McKinney, White & Eisenberger. Right Guard:Briesel, Studdard. RT: Winston, Rashard Butler. Spencer will beat someone out hopefully. With the exception of the draft pick in 08, all of these players were on board in 07 regardless of Roster, IR, PS or PUP.
Agree with the rest of the line with McKinney as the exception. I think he's more suited to guard and only moved inside due to injury. I think Hadnotwas orginally brought in to be viewed as a secondary option and compete for the starter position between, Eslinger White and himself. This FA period is seeing some crazy money thrown around though and looks like He wants to cash in with the rest.

I think Weary could very well be let go and I'd really like to see someone like Studdard with his tenacity start. I think he'd be a good enforcer.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #53
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Williams should replace Salaam by Week 4 if we draft him. Has much better lateral movement in pass protection and is about equal in run blocking (which isn't his strength).
Salaam is probably a better actor though
Old 03-04-2008   #54
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Quote:

Never thought of Williams with the pick, it would be smart. While he may fit being that he's pretty mobile for a big man. If we didnt have such a pressing need for DBs i think we might have done it.

Good idea though
Old 03-04-2008   #55
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I asked about Wade over at thecaptainsdeck and our friends over there were not high on Wade's talents.

http://thecaptainsdeck.net/index.php?topic=7957.0

They feel he is ok depth but not starting material.

Best constructive feedback was this:
Decent speed and footwork. Smart player. Makes good line adjustments. Overpowered easily and exceedingly ineffective versus strong interior lineman.

Sounds like the second coming of Mckinney
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #56
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't like the idea or wade as a texan, better off drafting a 4-yr starter than bringing in another old man
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #57
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Crocker is terible and 2.2m for hutchins isn't that much for a guy that playss s,cb, and sp. teams.

I have bad news for those hoping for a rb or lt in the 1st rd, it aint happening. Gibbs will have a huge influence on who plays o-line and rb. History and gibbs words tells us he doesn't like either in the 1st.

A guy that's kinda intruiging like lepsis is kolo kopiano the te from w. tx a&m. He's a transfer from uscc and is 6'3 270. He could easily ad 30 lbs and play lt. He may be a lt rd pick.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #58
stiff
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
I have bad news for those hoping for a rb or lt in the 1st rd, it aint happening. Gibbs will have a huge influence on who plays o-line and rb. History and gibbs words tells us he doesn't like either in the 1st.

A guy that's kinda intruiging like lepsis is kolo kopiano the te from w. tx a&m. He's a transfer from uscc and is 6'3 270. He could easily ad 30 lbs and play lt. He may be a lt rd pick.
We will see who is available when the Texans are picking. Right now its too early to say who or what position they will draft. In the next few weeks as things shake out in free agency a better picture will emerge.
Gibbs will have an influence but he will only be one voice in the draft. Gibbs will be here two - three years. Long enough to pass on his Yoda like knowledge of Zone Blocking on to the Texans.

Kolo Kapanui could be an interesting prospect as a 6th or 7th round pick. He may not be drafted. He looks like a project. IMHO if he is willing to convert to a FB that will help his chances of making it in the NFL.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 266978 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Really?

1983--1st round G Chris Hinton, 2nd round T Mark Cooper
1985--1st round RB Steven Sewell
1986--no picks in 1st three rounds

1994--no 1st round pick
1995--no picks 1st three rounds--T taken with 4th round pick
1996--3rd round RB
1997--no 2nd round pick--3rd round G
1999--2nd round C
2002--2nd round RB

Yes, he believes he can find OL and RB in the lower rounds, but history shows they are plenty willing to take them higher and no generalization or categorical statement of "they won't take one" should be made. That and Kubiak is the head coach and his first move was to try to take a 1st round RB.
1988--2nd round G Gerald Perry
1989--2nd round G Doug Widell
Old 03-04-2008   #60
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Really?

1983--1st round G Chris Hinton, 2nd round T Mark Cooper
1985--1st round RB Steven Sewell
1986--no picks in 1st three rounds

1994--no 1st round pick
1995--no picks 1st three rounds--T taken with 4th round pick
1996--3rd round RB
1997--no 2nd round pick--3rd round G
1999--2nd round C
2002--2nd round RB

Yes, he believes he can find OL and RB in the lower rounds, but history shows they are plenty willing to take them higher and no generalization or categorical statement of "they won't take one" should be made. That and Kubiak is the head coach and his first move was to try to take a 1st round RB.
1988--2nd round G Gerald Perry
1989--2nd round G Doug Widell
Another reason to believe that great teams are built from the inside, out. Good post.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read