Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2008   #21
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Remaining RB options

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...
I think he would do pretty well for us.
Hey, we agree on something. I really like Ward. He's 27, and coming off an injury, which should keep his price down... but those are also two things that might scare us away.

But before he broke his leg, he was playing hurt and STILL running wild for the Giants. I love his toughness and grit, and he's deceptively fast.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #22
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I'm not that big on bringing Dayne back. It's not that he hasn't been consistant over the past two years but he's not a plug and play back. He needs carries to be effective.

Ward wouldn't be bad. How would he get tendered though?

the fact we're showing interest in Dunn makes me wonder if we do cut Green or can we restructure his contract?

Forte in the 3rd or Allen Patrick are my choices.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #23
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.
Let's say that we do this and Mendenhall and Stewart aren't available and that someone picks up Dayne for a cheap contract, something that I think we should at least offer to our most servicable back for the last two years. Anyway, we cut Green, let Dayne move on to another team, and then draft a third round RB, hoping and praying that SOMEBODY is available. There's no telling that Forte will be there, but assuming he is, we have:

1. Forte
2. Taylor
3. Walker

Awesome! Three backs with a combined 3 years of experience! Because the last time we did away with the veterans on our team, that worked out well too! I'm not saying that it COULDN'T work out, and that we COULDN'T find some veteran in FA, but cutting all of our serviceable backups and going super young might not be the best idea.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #24
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't recall how they tendered him... but yeah, that's a problem. We need more draft picks, not less.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-03-2008   #25
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge View Post
I'd say just wait and get one in the 3rd round. I still say the first round should be cb/fs.
I agree with that, but think we need another Vet just in case. I think Green/3rd round pick, Mike Anderson, and Chris Taylor would make a nice RB Corp. Maybe replace Anderson with a few other faces...Tatum Bell if the price is right?

But yes.....1st round should be a CB or FS. I don't like Reeves trying to fill in for Dunta for 3/4's of the season IF Dunta comes back at all. Not to mention if Reeves gets hurt, we have no depth. Oh, OR at FS considering Von Hutchins is gone, and Demps is going elsewhere. We're looking at:

CB1: Fred Bennett (Hasn't played a full year & Demps doesn't have his back)
CB2: Jacques Reeves (Cowboys castoff)
FS: Boulware (Really?!)
SS: CC Brown (Possibly best Safety left)

This could be a LONG season without TWO DB playmakers emerging.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #26
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I don't recall how they tendered him... but yeah, that's a problem. We need more draft picks, not less.
He was the low tender. It would be giving the Giants a 7th round draft pick (because Ward was drafted in the 7th round) and a one year salary of at least $850,000. The Giants would then have the final say by eithermatching our offer or not. IAt least i think that's how it works
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #27
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
He was the low tender. It would be giving the Giants a 7th round draft pick (because Ward was drafted in the 7th round) and a one year salary of at least $850,000. The Giants would then have the final say by eithermatching our offer or not. IAt least i think that's how it works

If thats the case i say lets go get him TONIGHT!
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2008   #28
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Giants will almost assuredly match our offer, IMO, so it's a moot point.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #29
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I like ward, I had him on my fantasy team and won many games with him, I also watched him on tv and he looked really quick, not fast, but quick, and he falls forward like he should. I don't think he will be 100% till early in the season though, so he is a slight gamble. I would gamble a 7th and a million dollar 1 year contract on him though. It's gonna be a touch and go offseason this year. The draft is deep, but no guarantees our needs guys will be there when we want. I think the front office is waiting to see what others do and who gets released before the draft so they have a better idea how the draft will go(who will be available).
Old 03-04-2008   #30
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

FA RBs look pretty bleak! I am sure we can find a productive RB in the draft. There has to be a couple of guys that are flying under the radar because of their teams lack of an Oline or QB. If Thomas Brown hadn't been injured I would be higher on him. If he is 100% he is a player. I would love Choice, Rice or Smith in the 3rd. I know USC has a back that is supposed to be very talented but got stuck behind other talented guys after being injured (Chauncy Washington I believe)
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Let's say that we do this and Mendenhall and Stewart aren't available and that someone picks up Dayne for a cheap contract, something that I think we should at least offer to our most servicable back for the last two years. Anyway, we cut Green, let Dayne move on to another team, and then draft a third round RB, hoping and praying that SOMEBODY is available. There's no telling that Forte will be there, but assuming he is, we have:

1. Forte
2. Taylor
3. Walker

Awesome! Three backs with a combined 3 years of experience! Because the last time we did away with the veterans on our team, that worked out well too! I'm not saying that it COULDN'T work out, and that we COULDN'T find some veteran in FA, but cutting all of our serviceable backups and going super young might not be the best idea.
I voiced the same concerns of "my guy" not being there when I thought he would on another thread. Makes you want to keep clean underwear handy; but that is the draft. It is a crap shoot even if you get your guy regardless of position.

There are backs that should do well in ZBS even if Forte is not there and he may not be. Slaton (more of a scat back imo) Mike Hart, Tashard Choice (he has caught some heat lately)and Allen Patrick (Oklahoma)should be there.

Corey Boyd (6th round) is pretty interesting. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=17344

I'm not big on experience at RB. Using your example, when the veterans were cut, was it experience that was the main factor or quality of the remaining players?

Walker showed me enough to want him on the team. Taylor is like Charles Spencer. What little we have seen screams potential and makes me want to see how each does in TC. Neither should be given a roster spot today.
Old 03-04-2008   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I agree with that, but think we need another Vet just in case. I think Green/3rd round pick, Mike Anderson, and Chris Taylor would make a nice RB Corp. Maybe replace Anderson with a few other faces...Tatum Bell if the price is right?

But yes.....1st round should be a CB or FS. I don't like Reeves trying to fill in for Dunta for 3/4's of the season IF Dunta comes back at all. Not to mention if Reeves gets hurt, we have no depth. Oh, OR at FS considering Von Hutchins is gone, and Demps is going elsewhere. We're looking at:

CB1: Fred Bennett (Hasn't played a full year & Demps doesn't have his back)
CB2: Jacques Reeves (Cowboys castoff)
FS: Boulware (Really?!)
SS: CC Brown (Possibly best Safety left)

This could be a LONG season without TWO DB playmakers emerging.
Did Walker or Taylor show the most in the few games each has played on Texans?

What FS is available in first round? Phillips and that is it. Straight up vote for Phillips at #18, I do not think he gets many votes. Even if he is the best FS and available, I don't make that selection.
Old 03-04-2008   #33
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Did Walker or Taylor show the most in the few games each has played on Texans?

What FS is available in first round? Phillips and that is it. Straight up vote for Phillips at #18, I do not think he gets many votes. Even if he is the best FS and available, I don't make that selection.
Taylor had significant carries in one game against a very bad Browns team. Walker had limited reps too, but at least had significant carries against three playoff teams and Denver in a nationally televised game.

I think Walker is going to beat out Taylor for the last spot on the roster.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Taylor had significant carries in one game against a very bad Browns team. Walker had limited reps too, but at least had significant carries against three playoff teams and Denver in a nationally televised game.

I think Walker is going to beat out Taylor for the last spot on the roster.
Exactly. So why do some people place Taylor ahead of Walker? Hopes and dreams. Hopes and dreams.
Old 03-04-2008   #35
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Darius Walker has been re-signed.

How many of us even noticed that he was a free agent?

Quote:
3/3/2008 Signed RB Darius Walker
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #36
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he was an ERFA though
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #37
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Taylor was an ERFA too, and he signed as well. I didn't know that.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 03-04-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Smith is quietly spending cap space. He is locking in some good choices in my view.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read