Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2008   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Remaining RB options

Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET - picked up by SEA?
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL - picked up by DET?
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

People keep talking like Dayne is already set to come back, but he's not. You're GM, and we have plenty of money left in the Cap. Who do you pick up to go with Green, Taylor, Walker?

I like Tatum Bell here, but Dayne already knows our Denver Bay hybrid system.

Last edited by Dallas_Texan; 03-03-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Remaining RB options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

People keep talking like Dayne is already set to come back, but he's not. You're GM, and we have plenty of money left in the Cap. Who do you pick up to go with Green, Taylor, Walker?

The hybrid system is gone. We are going to run a pure ZBS now.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

Per McClain, we're not bringing Dayne back. Out of that group, my guess is that we settle for Bell. Nepotism is a difficult beast to tame.
Old 03-03-2008   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

hate all of those. Warrick Dunn in 08!

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

Out of that group I'd prefer Ward of Jones, and I don't particularly like Jones. The rest seem like cast-offs to me.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Duckett just signed with Seattle.
Dayne's probably not coming back.
I've heard that Jones is going to Detroit but I'm not sure that's real.

I wouldn't mind Tatum Bell. I think we should at least talk to Mike Anderson. Warrick Dunn's age scares me, but if we lose Dayne... I don't mind plugging Dunn in for Dayne if the price is right.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Julius Jones is now a Lion. Take him off the list.

I like Cris Brown. However this thread makes more of a point to getting Dunn. All these guys suck or are injury prone. Dunn would be better than all of them.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Brown TEN
TJ Duckett DET
Tatum Bell DET
Julius Jones DAL
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU

A rookie from the draft.
Old 03-03-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I wouldn't mind Tatum Bell. I think we should at least talk to Mike Anderson. Warrick Dunn's age scares me, but if we lose Dayne... I don't mind plugging Dunn in for Dayne if the price is right.
Dunn is an upgrade over Dayne. Dunn will be in better physical shape when he is 40 than Dayne has ever been in his life.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

Old 03-03-2008   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Brown TEN
Tatum Bell DET
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

Out of that group I like Ward prolly the most.
Old 03-03-2008   #12
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

Agreed on the Mike Anderson bit. He did well in the ZBS up in Denver and he didn't see many carries in Baltimore. If we're going to bring in a RB, why not him? Apparently Dunn is on record saying that he wants to go to a team that is going to be in the playoffs. Now, no slight to us, but I reckon he means a team that gives him an almost definite chance to get deep in the playoffs. Sadly, I don't think any of us think that is us.

So, if you want to upgrade Dayne with another veteran back then why not bring in Anderson?

For what its worth, I'm still scratching my head on what we're doing at RB. We've got Ah!-Mah-knee! Green who's a bit of a question mark after last year. Dayne-Train appears to be gone even though he was our most consistent of all our inconsistent backs. Chris Taylor who we've not heard a peep from since tearing his patellar tendon last year and Darius "Fivehead" Walker.

If they sign a veteran retread like Mike Anderson or Warrick Dunn, then you have to wonder what the plan is. Could they really be looking to draft a rookie and go to camp with Rookie A, Green, Retread to be named later, Taylor, and Walker?
Old 03-03-2008   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Out of that group I like Ward prolly the most.
I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...
I think he would do pretty well for us.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As mentioned in another thread, there's a decent chance Shaun Alexander may get released from the Seahawks. Not saying he'd be a fit here or we'd want him but there's a name of a RB since we most likely won't hear anything for a while as far as us actually signing a RB.

Also, Denver has Travis Henry, Mike Bell, and Selvin Young as probably their top 3 RB's? Wonder what the chance is they cut Andre Hall (South Florida). He's 5'8, 212lbs (averaged almost 5 yards per carry on 44 carries last year, 2 TD's and 1 Fumb. also 2 receptions for 69 yards) How many RB's does denver generally carry??

I have a feeling we're setting ourselves up for dissappointment if we keep talking about the current 'stop gap' RB's or those that we'd have to trade for/give up picks for. I have a strong feeling we're not going to sign a RB most are pleased with until teams start releasing more players.

I see picking up a FA RB, drafting one, and looking at another as a UDFA. Dayne is being rumored to no be re-signed?, so that leaves Green, Walker, and Taylor as the competition. I don't see Green getting cut unless we have a solid veteran RB that is our starter already signed up.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I've been saying Ward is the best option for a while. Even before Turner signed with ATL, I wanted Ward more because he won't break our bank...
I think he would do pretty well for us.
I like Derrick Ward as well and he may be a guy worth sending a 7th rounder to NY for because he's a RFA. It just worries me that he suffered a broken leg 3 months ago. Any news how he's recovering?

Also, any news on Chris Taylor's recovery?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Chris Brown TEN
Tatum Bell DET
Derrick Ward NYG
Ron Dayne HOU
Warrick Dunn ATL

No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.
Old 03-03-2008   #17
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

ROD "HE HATE ME" SMART!

Get it done, Rick Smith!
Old 03-03-2008   #18
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say just wait and get one in the 3rd round. I still say the first round should be cb/fs.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #19
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No one. I cut Green June first and save $3.8million. I draft Stewart or Mendenhall in first for my primary back. If no one signs Dayne, I might offer him a minimum contract but probably not. At RB you do not need experience. You can go with power and/or speed. Even Forte in 3rd would be an option for me if my first two guys are not there. I want young legs and a guy that want to play.

EXACTLY!!!! We don't need or want anybody's castoffs!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #20
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Tatum Bell is a terrible blocker, has been knocked for a lack of toughness, and is really nothing more than a glorified 3rd down back. He had a chance to be the featured back for Detroit last year - but the Lions COULDN'T WAIT for an above average player AT BEST like Kevin Jones to come back and reclaim his job.

No, no, no to Tatum Bell.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read