Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-03-2008   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Big Ben gets $102 million dollar deal

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

The contract, which includes more than $36 million in guarantees and is easily the largest in team history, places Big Ben among the game's highest-paid players. In comparison, Peyton Manning received a $34.5 million signing bonus in his big deal and Michael Vick received $37 million in guarantees from the Falcons in his mega deal.

Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner of REP 1 Sports, traveled to Pittsburgh and finalized the deal with the Steelers late last night. The team is expected to announce the move Monday in a press conference.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3274467
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Ben gets 102 million dollar deal

I had heard yesterday that they were really close on getting this deal done. All I can say is WOW!! Pittsburgh has never been known to spend that kind of money...
Old 03-03-2008   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
pfft. ridiculous.

Better QBs don't even get that kind of dough.
Old 03-03-2008   #4
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big Ben gets $102 million dollar deal

If he got it, good for him....Is he worth it? Hard to say, is anyone really worth that kind of money, but more power to him, they offered it, he took it..
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner of REP 1 Sports, traveled to Pittsburgh and finalized the deal with the Steelers late last night.
Roger Clemens needs to hire those guys as his lawyers.

They must have some kind of mind-control device that they used on Pittsburgh's GM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
pfft. ridiculous.

Better QBs don't even get that kind of dough.
I agree. I don't think he's worth but half of that.
Old 03-03-2008   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

he got them a ring. something they hadn't tasted since the 70s. he deserves the money and I applaud Pittsburgh for rewarding a player that delivered for them. when you win, you gotta pay the piper.

I would say that he better be willing to renegotiate in the future because they need some more talent at WR and may have to spend some $$ to fix that here in a couple years.
Old 03-03-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

That is upper echelon QB money. Big Ben is not upper echelon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #9
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 27616 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
That is upper echelon QB money. Big Ben is not upper echelon.
So he's:
  • Won the Superbowl
  • Taken the Steelers to 3 playoff visits in his 4 years in the league
  • Posted QB rating ranging from 98-104 in 3 of his 4 seasons
  • Still young
  • Real tough

I'd love a 'non upper echelon' QB like Roethliserger... All, they're paying for him, but its a premier QB wrapped for years, and I think he can only get better, especially after last years 32 TDs. And if the Steelers can bolster their OL, then his 47 sacks will decrease and his productivity will only grow.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
So he's:
  • Won the Superbowl
  • Still young
  • Real tough

I'd love a 'non upper echelon' QB like Roethliserger... All, they're paying for him, but its a premier QB wrapped for years, and I think he can only get better, especially after last years 32 TDs. And if the Steelers can bolster their OL, then his 47 sacks will decrease and his productivity will only grow.
He came to an established team that was/is founded on Defense and a dominating running game. He isn't there to "win" games ala Manning Brady; he has been more of a manager. No way I'd pay that type money for him. Don't get me wrong I think he is good, but not great. I'd take Palmer over him and wouldn't think twice about.

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 03-03-2008   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
So he's:
  • Won the Superbowl
  • Still young
  • Real tough

Are you talking about Willie Parker or Big Ben?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #12
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 27616 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He came to an established team that was/is founded on Defense and a dominating running game. He isn't there to "win" games ala Manning Brady; he has been more of a manager. No way I'd pay that type money for him. Don't get me wrong I think he is good, but not great. I'd take Palmer over him and wouldn't think twice about.
No doubts having Parker in the backfield helps him out a lot, and the WRs there are a great help too, but the fact he hit more TDs than most QBs in the league last year, with a substantially lower amount of attempts just smacks of this guy being one of the top passers in the league. He has the deep ball for Holmes, he can scramble, he can take a hit, throw whilst moving well, he's big...I just can't see how much else he could be improved on realistically.

The Steelers offence isn't broken, its damn good, and if it costs money to keep a vital cog in that tool working, then so be it, even if you do pay a few more $$$ in the process. If it aint broke, don't fix it, and if you can afford your franchise player, then hold onto him for as long as you can.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

some people just don't get it. big ben IS an elite QB. Period. End of story. Some people must think they just hand out Lombardi trophies like welfare.

And who cares if you think Palmer is better than Ben. Palmer is also paid elite money as well. Ben just happened to be the latest to get a new deal thus the numbers will be higher because of inflation and market demands.

Ben had over 30 TDs last year and did that behind a delapidated offensive line. Ben has won a long coveted ring for teh city of Pittsburgh and the guy just wins. Is he as good as Peyton? Hell no, but who the freak is? Sometimes you guys don't have a grasp on reality. Just because he isn't as good as Peyton doesnt mean he isn't going to get paid or that he isn't that good. There is only one Peyton and even he looked mortal this year.

Lets give Ben credit for coming into the league and making an impact and winning a championship. It's such a shame that the same board that made so many excuses for their own failed QBs seem to have no problem criticizing QBs that are actually good and have won championships and big games. Come on now. its about winning not about being pretty or having uber stats.

Trust me, if Ben hadn't been resigned, they would have had a riot in Pittsburgh. The guy is a winner and he has already delivered. Why not reward excellence and achievement, instead of rewarding failures like the Texans have.
Old 03-03-2008   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
It's such a shame that the same board that made so many excuses for their own failed QBs seem to have no problem criticizing QBs that are actually good and have won championships and big games. Come on now. its about winning not about being pretty or having uber stats.

Why not reward excellence and achievement, instead of rewarding failures like the Texans have.
Once in a blue moon, you say something I agree with wholeheartedly...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think whether or not Roethlisberger deserves the money is the interesting point of this story. I think the fact that the notoriously cheap (errrrrrr frugile) Steelers made this deal is the big news...
Old 03-03-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say that Roethlisberger is one of the top 6 QBs in the league.

With that said, I would only give out $100 mil to two guys, & Ben isnt one of them.

Congrats to Ben for gettin paid tho. The kid is a gamer & he is definitely talented. If they offer it, its not his fault for accepting it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
some people just don't get it. big ben IS an elite QB. Period. End of story. Some people must think they just hand out Lombardi trophies like welfare.

And who cares if you think Palmer is better than Ben. Palmer is also paid elite money as well. Ben just happened to be the latest to get a new deal thus the numbers will be higher because of inflation and market demands.

Ben had over 30 TDs last year and did that behind a delapidated offensive line. Ben has won a long coveted ring for teh city of Pittsburgh and the guy just wins. Is he as good as Peyton? Hell no, but who the freak is? Sometimes you guys don't have a grasp on reality. Just because he isn't as good as Peyton doesnt mean he isn't going to get paid or that he isn't that good. There is only one Peyton and even he looked mortal this year.

Lets give Ben credit for coming into the league and making an impact and winning a championship. It's such a shame that the same board that made so many excuses for their own failed QBs seem to have no problem criticizing QBs that are actually good and have won championships and big games. Come on now. its about winning not about being pretty or having uber stats.

Trust me, if Ben hadn't been resigned, they would have had a riot in Pittsburgh. The guy is a winner and he has already delivered. Why not reward excellence and achievement, instead of rewarding failures like the Texans have.
You know what, you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. If you don't like my view - don't read my post. When he carries a team - then $100M is worth while. Until then blah - Willie Parker and the D make that team. I'm glad he now has financial security in his life.

Quote:
Old 03-03-2008   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I dont think whether or not Roethlisberger deserves the money is the interesting point of this story. I think the fact that the notoriously cheap (errrrrrr frugile) Steelers made this deal is the big news...
they had no choice, bro. my best bud is a lifelong Steelers fan and he had been pining for a franchise QB since we were 10 years old back in the Bradshaw days.

the Steelers have never had an opportunity to resign a top QB because they have never had one. They did give decent money to O'Donnell, Stewart, and Maddox at different times...but not in the same league as elite Roethlisberger money.

Steeler Nation would have gone ballistic if Ben had been allowed to go UFA or if the Steelers would have resorted to Franchise tag tactics. Ben is far from flawless but he is loved without question by the gold and black faithful. Rooney Co. had no choice but to bend over for Ben.
Old 03-03-2008   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
they had no choice, bro. my best bud is a lifelong Steelers fan and he had been pining for a franchise QB since we were 10 years old back in the Bradshaw days.

the Steelers have never had an opportunity to resign a top QB because they have never had one. They did give decent money to O'Donnell, Stewart, and Maddox at different times...but not in the same league as elite Roethlisberger money.

Steeler Nation would have gone ballistic if Ben had been allowed to go UFA or if the Steelers would have resorted to Franchise tag tactics. Ben is far from flawless but he is loved without question by the gold and black faithful. Rooney Co. had no choice but to bend over for Ben.
I hear ya... I just think back to some of the names they let get away because they didn't want to pay the money. Although not QB's, names like Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene immediately come to mind.
Old 03-03-2008   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know what, you are entitled to your opinion and so am I. If you don't like my view - don't read my post. When he carries a team - then $100M is worth while. Until then blah - Willie Parker and the D make that team. I'm glad he now has financial security in his life.
your getting too fixated on the bottom line and getting blinded by the money. the money is just the current market evaluation for a franchise QB. dude has proven he can lead a team through the regular season, through the playoffs, and win the Super Bowl. As a bonus he is young and has proven he can take an asswhoopin' (see 2007 season behind porous OL) he just so happened to be the latest one to get a new mega deal so the numbers can seem inflated at first glance. This just means the next elite guy's contract that comes up will be even more than Ben's is.

As for how Parker 'made' that team. Do you watch Steelers football? I have seen just about every game they have played over the past decade and Ben has made a HUGE difference in their offense. His progression actually bought his Off Coordinators head coaching jobs in the NFL. This isn't the Franco Harris-era Steelers anymore. They aren't afraid to pound the ball, but they have been passhappy for going on about 7 years now (since Maddox's revival)

I know that Ben is in the Top 10 of NFL Quarterbacks, the most important position in football. Is Parker Top 10? Borderline at best. Oh and fwiw, Parker is already paid like an elite back.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read