Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-02-2008   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn--signed with Tampa

STORY

If he's willing to sign for peanuts AND we still go after a YOUNG back - fine.

If he's supposed to be the answer when Ahman Green inevitably goes down, no thanks.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: CNNSI: Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn

I like Dunn but I just don't think he's right for us or our situation.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

we'll need a scooter in the backfield with Dunn and Green. I'll sign him for an AARP discount.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI.com
But Houston likely would be the front-runner for his services because of his success under Gibbs and the belief that the Texans are a team on the rise.
There's a bit of a difference between "Texans 'front runner' for Warrick Dunn"
and "Houston likely would be the front runner" (which is just speculation).
Your thread title has a touch of sensationalism to it, much like the typical headline these days...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #5
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

did gibs work with dunn in atlanta?

if so, I trust him untill he dissapoints....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #6
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Dunn would be a good addition. If Gibbs gives him the green light, I say get it done. We can offer a starting position with a skilled offense to any prospective RB. We are an attractive destination.
Old 03-03-2008   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Originally posted this in another thread before I realized this was here:

Pros:
1. Dunn hasn't missed a game due to injury in 4 years
2. Dunn has averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 of the last 4 years
3. Dunn has rushed for over 1,000 yards in 3 of the last 4 years

Cons:
1. Dunn is 2 years older than Ahman Green
2. Dunn has approx. 550 more carries in his NFL career than Green
3. The one year out of the last four he didn't average over 4 ypc and get 1,000 yards was 2007
4. If he's signed, Dayne (at 30 years old) becomes the spring chicken of the Texans 2008 RB stable

I'll care about this when/if it happens.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2008   #8
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Originally posted this in another thread before I realized this was here:

Pros:
1. Dunn hasn't missed a game due to injury in 4 years
2. Dunn has averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 of the last 4 years
3. Dunn has rushed for over 1,000 yards in 3 of the last 4 years

Cons:
1. Dunn is 2 years older than Ahman Green
2. Dunn has approx. 550 more carries in his NFL career than Green
3. The one year out of the last four he didn't average over 4 ypc and get 1,000 yards was 2007
4. If he's signed, Dayne (at 30 years old) becomes the spring chicken of the Texans 2008 RB stable

I'll care about this when/if it happens.
The funny thing is that Gibbs wasn't around during 2007 when Dunn's stats disappeared. I would welcome him in Houston as long as we still drafted a RB and didn't give him a huge contract. His age is the biggest question mark although he really fits the system wonderfully.
Old 03-03-2008   #9
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
quoted deleted insult
WITHOUT the name-calling, this is getting ticky-tack guys.

*Moderator to Aisle 12, Moderator to Aisle 12 for a clean-up!*

..back to thread...

Just what we need, another aging, lost-a-step RB. (AARB anyone?)

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know how much clearer I can be, and I hope we don't have to derail this discussion further.

Do you see the subject line? Good.

Do you see the colon after CNNSI? Good.

That means what follows is from CNNSI... and what follows is the statement Texans "front-runner" for Warrick Dunn.

There is a colon after CNNSI. There are quotation marks around "front-runner".

Here, everyone else just stick with the headline as is, since you understand. For you, I'll make a special headline so your sensibilities aren't offended.

"CNNSI has an article on its website that suggest the Texans are the front-runners to acquire Warrick Dunn once he is given his release from the Falcons. The article isn't actually saying that the Texans ARE the front-runners, but they are speculating as much. This needs to be made clear because normally I guess you assume that when someone puts CNNSI: in front of a statement, it implies that the statement, and all content within the statement - is the property and product of CNNSI, and not actually from the desk of Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak. With that in mind, please click the link and read the story so you can comment further and engage in discussion with other Texans fans about this subject."

Sorry - I didn't think there was enough room in the subject line for that. Next time I'll lay it out more clearly, so as to not be sensational.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Emmitt Smith wants to make a comeback. Or was that for dancing.... Maybe we can lure Terrell Davis back into the fold. Line up the wheelchairs -- Tom Petty and Rod Stewart (the South Park version) for halftime entertainment and we're on a roll baby.

If they sign Dunn that tells me they already know AG won't be able to go. If it's for some ridiculously low salary, then maybe ... I guess. I'd rather see a wily vet and a stable of young guys than a stable of old guys and a pup or two.

Last edited by aj.; 03-03-2008 at 03:53 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Fact - Dunn is a great person.
Fact - Our organization loves these type of guys.
Fact - Dunn has been a high calber RB for a LONG time

I would have loved to have him here about 5 years ago. He's a stand up type of guy that is never in the headlines for bad things. It's kind of like buying a used car; everything looks great. The exterior is nice and shiney, the interior looks great but when you turn it on and see the miles you winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #13
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

So I 've clicked the link and read the story. Therefore, I hope I'm qualified to comment. Here is my take...

The only significant news in the article is that Warrick Dunn asked for his release from the Falcons. Everything else including who might be the "front runner" or intersted is just a WAG.

I mean. Who is the league source?

The janitor @ NFL HQ or the author's brother in law who has won the family fantasy football league the last 3 years?

What happened to the days when the press just reported the news?

If the Texans do sign Dunn, then call the State Hospital because obviously the entire Texans FO has gone insane.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #14
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

For the more WCO educated...

has any WCO team ever used a back like Dunn and lined him up in a slot position? I guess I'm just wondering if he could be useful in a Reggie Bush type role when Bush lines up out of the backfield.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #15
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Man this is a bad move IMO I want a young stud running back.
Old 03-03-2008   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Tampa Bay is the likely front runner for Dunn.

Quote:
Dunn, 33, a running back who began his career with the Bucs, said at the Super Bowl in Phoenix last month that he would be receptive to finishing his career with the Bucs or the Colts.

Dunn was in Tampa on Saturday night attending the retirement party for Bucs fullback Mike Alstott. The event also was attended by Colts coach Tony Dungy and Bucs coach Jon Gruden.

Dunn, who had 3.2 yards a carry last season, could be the change-of-pace back the Bucs seek to complement Earnest Graham. The team re-signed Michael Bennett before the start of free agency.
Anytime a RB becomes available, the wags will link him to the Texans. Why? Take a look at the roster.
Old 03-03-2008   #17
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 935 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Us "eyeing" Dunn scares me in thinking we are not going to draft a RB .
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #18
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I will take any decent player to camp that wants to make a run at it. Then let it all shake out from there.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
Us "eyeing" Dunn scares me in thinking we are not going to draft a RB .
Or Kubiak feels Darius Walker is one year away.
Old 03-03-2008   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wherever Dunn goes he will be a spot player, I wouldn't look for him to carry the load on any team at his age. That being said, if he is picked up very cheap by the Texans he still would have to make it through TC. I am not big on this move if it were to happen, but I trust if this is true the staff is considering him for added depth/insurance and a spot player.

If true, to me it would be an indicator that we will not draft an RB which is sad. I would rather have Allen Patrick in the 3rd round than Dunn. Got to trust the staff at this point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read