Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2008   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans looking good in FA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I dont even want Phillips.

I want an OT or a CB.
Phillips is way overated. Doubt if he gets picked in the first. This is the worst draft for safetys in 10 years. In a normal year he would be a late second or third round pick.

If Rashard Mendenhall, Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, Dominique Rodgers arent available we should trade down. Watch for Hills in the third if available.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #22
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget Demps lets go after Wilson, Eugene UFA Patriots.
Old 03-02-2008   #23
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Why not take a gander at Marlon McRee? He played well as a Texan and was kicked to the curb for one reason or another. Maybe it was because he actually had talent and made plays and wasn't an Asserley pick. Asserley couldn't have that. He had to go out and draft an injury prone safety out of Notre Dame who has now turned into an injury prone bust in the NFL. Just another brain dead move by a brain dead loser.

Thank God Rick has shown he has infinite more capability to draft and sign FAs. I will give him a pass on Green because it was pretty much low risk with high reward. Didn't work out that well, but his moves at least have some basis in logic, need, and value. Time will see if retaining Richard Smith was a good move even though that decision could be exclusively Kubiak's to make. One thing is for sure, if the defense continues to flounder near the bottom of the league, whoever ultimately decided to not Fire Richard Smith needs to be held accountable. I hope it doesn't come to that....
....but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-02-2008   #24
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW ... John Mclain says that the Texans need more speed at FS . That Demps is really not an ideal fit .

As far as McCree goes I guess he did'nt fit our system . Like Peppers , Portis , and so on .
Old 03-02-2008   #25
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Why not take a gander at Marlon McRee? He played well as a Texan and was kicked to the curb for one reason or another. Maybe it was because he actually had talent and made plays and wasn't an Asserley pick. Asserley couldn't have that. He had to go out and draft an injury prone safety out of Notre Dame who has now turned into an injury prone bust in the NFL. Just another brain dead move by a brain dead loser.

Thank God Rick has shown he has infinite more capability to draft and sign FAs. I will give him a pass on Green because it was pretty much low risk with high reward. Didn't work out that well, but his moves at least have some basis in logic, need, and value. Time will see if retaining Richard Smith was a good move even though that decision could be exclusively Kubiak's to make. One thing is for sure, if the defense continues to flounder near the bottom of the league, whoever ultimately decided to not Fire Richard Smith needs to be held accountable. I hope it doesn't come to that....
....but I'm not holding my breath.
If we cant resign Demps, Marlon McRee is a must have for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #26
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Forget Demps lets go after Wilson, Eugene UFA Patriots.
If Demps is being pursued by the Dolphins, Demps is going there. If you have ever been to his website, you would see that he has MIAMI written all over him. That website is the epitome of self indulgence and narcissism. he would fit right in me thinks.

As for Wilson, you would think he would come in with at least a good work ethic and after all, he would be willing to do the 'extra' film work. I would have no problem with him joining the Texans but not if we have to overpay. He would at least have a shot at starting from Day One here, which is something you would think he covets. I would love to see us add Wilson and then go after Phillips at #18. Phillips is more of a sure thing than Cromartie, Jenkins, or Talib. We would then turn a team weakness into a team strength and we would have to hope our current stable of CBs can hold the fort till Dunta is ready. Unless someone just drops in our lap, we have to go defense with our only 1st Day Pick (barring trade down)
Old 03-02-2008   #27
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
If we cant resign Demps, Marlon McRee is a must have for us.
personally, I would rather have McRee over Demps especially due to the extra premium Demps is going to ask for due to his Alternate Pro Bowl-berth. Demps is just a popular guy around the league due to his mingling with the music stars and model 'elite' crowd. He probably throws a mean party too...dude is a playa but keeps it classy. He was good for us but far from PB quality....just proves the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.
Old 03-02-2008   #28
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
FWIW ... John Mclain says that the Texans need more speed at FS . That Demps is really not an ideal fit .

As far as McCree goes I guess he did'nt fit our system . Like Peppers , Portis , and so on .
Yeah, those guys could play. Obviously not the type of guys Asserley was looking for....
Old 03-02-2008   #29
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as Demps is concerned, it takes two to make a deal. link

Quote:
The Texans want me back and I think that is a desirable place to play, but I'm going to test free agency first and see what is out there. I am not ruling out a return to Houston by any means. I want to be in a position to be with a team for four or five more years and finish my career there. I think there are going to be some teams interested, so we will see what happens in free agency.

I've been through free agency before. I know that I want to be with a team that I'm comfortable with. The coaches in Houston want me back there, but we have to see how the business side of this works out.

I think I'm going to have a choice about where I'll play. I want to find a team that runs the right scheme for me, that has a winning attitude and that shows that it wants me.
I don't think he sounds as excited about returning to us as Davis and Kalu did/do. Appears to be a bit of equivocating going on.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #30
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
As far as Demps is concerned, it takes two to make a deal. link

I don't think he sounds as excited about returning to us as Davis and Kalu did/do. Appears to be a bit of equivocating going on.
Sounds like he wants a big payday and that he will to whom ever shows him a large wad of cash.
Old 03-02-2008   #31
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So so far (and please add to this if I am leaving anyone out) in FA we have:

Acquisition or possible acquisitions:

Andre Davis - re-signed
Bentley - LB from Seattle
Reeves - CB from Dallas
Hadnot - visited Houston but is visiting with other teams - I still don't think we are done trying to get him if the price is right.
Demps - status unknown? We need to re-sign him is the consensus and I agree

Offered tenders:

C.C. Brown
Anthony Maddox
David Anderson
Earl Cochran
Joel Dreessen
Brandon Frye
Darius Walker

I would like to see all these guys re-sign and stay with the team.

Gone:
Von Hutchins
Charlie Anderson

Additional targets:
McCree - his name keeps coming up, please feel free to add who seems like a likely target.

Does that sum it up? I am not including cuts here, but just trying to keep a running tab of our activity. This is off the top of my head also. And I agree with the orginal post of this thread, I am glad we are not out spending crazy dollars and it appears Smithiak is being methodical about this whole thing. It's too easy to get caught up in the hoopla. Bentley is very intriguing to me, a great special teamer, good depth, nice price, I hope he can compete for a starting job.

I haven't heard anymore about the rumor of a veteran RB, and I still hope we land another DB in FA, and maybe a OL, hopefully a center.

All in all, I like the fact the FO is managing the funds well, not over spending or getting into to deep, looking for good value, and not giving away draft picks. They know we have to keep building through the draft as well.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 03-02-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Charlie Anderson is gone.

But I wasn't aware that Danny Clark was gone, yet.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I think he confussed Clark with Barber who was released.
Old 03-02-2008   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks drafting Phillips over a CB , RB , or an OT would be a big mistake . Even if they don't resign Demps I would'nt draft Phillips in the 1st .
No you are not the only one.

Give me Cromartie or Jenkins in rd1 or Godfrey in rd3 over Phillips in rd1.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #35
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oops, sorry guys, you're right I got them mixed up, I was getting calls from work in the middle of me typing that up. I edited it.
Old 03-02-2008   #36
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

What I find most ironic about Demps is that going after a huge payday got him cut after 1 year. You think he'd want to stay put on a team where he knows that he'll fit, but it's up to him.
Old 03-02-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I think he confussed Clark with Barber who was released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Oops, sorry guys, you're right I got them mixed up, I was getting calls from work in the middle of me typing that up. I edited it.
Clark was playing on a 1 year contract and is now UFA.
Old 03-02-2008   #38
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thanks! Does anyone know if we are pursuing him or has he signed somewhere else?
Old 03-02-2008   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, but I don't think he's signed anywhere else, yet. So he could still be re-signed.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #40
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
So so far (and please add to this if I am leaving anyone out) in FA we have:

Acquisition or possible acquisitions:

Andre Davis - re-signed
Bentley - LB from Seattle
Reeves - CB from Dallas
Hadnot - visited Houston but is visiting with other teams - I still don't think we are done trying to get him if the price is right.
Demps - status unknown? We need to re-sign him is the consensus and I agree

Offered tenders:

C.C. Brown
Anthony Maddox
David Anderson
Earl Cochran
Joel Dreessen
Brandon Frye
Darius Walker

I would like to see all these guys re-sign and stay with the team.

Gone:
Von Hutchins
Charlie Anderson

Additional targets:
McCree - his name keeps coming up, please feel free to add who seems like a likely target.

Does that sum it up? I am not including cuts here, but just trying to keep a running tab of our activity. This is off the top of my head also. And I agree with the orginal post of this thread, I am glad we are not out spending crazy dollars and it appears Smithiak is being methodical about this whole thing. It's too easy to get caught up in the hoopla. Bentley is very intriguing to me, a great special teamer, good depth, nice price, I hope he can compete for a starting job.

I haven't heard anymore about the rumor of a veteran RB, and I still hope we land another DB in FA, and maybe a OL, hopefully a center.

All in all, I like the fact the FO is managing the funds well, not over spending or getting into to deep, looking for good value, and not giving away draft picks. They know we have to keep building through the draft as well.
Question: We "tendered offers" to several players the other day. What exactly does this mean? Do they have a certain amount of time to accept, or are they still being courted by other teams....or, are they RFA's?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read