Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-02-2008   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Awtysst's Post Combine Stay Where We are Mock

So, here is my Post Combine Stay as we are mock. As the name suggests this is just a theoretical approach to who may be there should be decide to not trade down. Obviously it is a crap shoot as to who will be there, but these are people who might be there when we pick.

1. Calais Campbell DE-Miami
I know that many of you would prefer a flashier position like RB but the fact is that great teams are built from trenches. Campbell projects to being a Julius Peppers type of player. That is someone that we need opposite Mario: a big motor guy who will relentlessly go after the QB.

3. Oneil Cousins-OT UTEP
As I said we didnt trade down so we didn't get a second. Here on day two, I like Cousins. I have seen him falling in mocks into the third and I think he would be a great grab. He is a prototypical ZB OT.

4. Red Bryant-DT Texas A&M
This is where it gets a bit more difficult to prognosticate, but I like Big Red here. What is something our O-line needs aside from a high motor DE? A space eating DT. This guys is 6'5 330 lbs and is so big he requires his own zip code. Put him next to Amobe, Mario, and Calais and you have a fearsome Dline for time to come. Know what a fearsome D-line does? It makes unsettles the QB and does not let the Qb get comfy in the pocket. Oh, and it also makes your CBs looks REAL good.

5. Allen Patrick –RB Oklahoma
All he does is take the ball and runs straight into the hole. Thats exactly what you need in a ZBS runner. He also has great hands and rarely fumbles. He also has great hands and if he can get away has the speed to take it to the house.

6. Michael Grant-CB/FS-Arkansas
A versatile DB that can play in either position. He is the kind of guy we can groom and can be a great depth player. His versatility makes him that much of a better prospect.

7. Dennis Dixon-QB Oregon
Some of you might say there is no chance in hell he is still here. However, I think there are a lot of concerns about his health. I say we take a chance on him here. Hopefully he can fully recover and become our backup. Then we can trade Rosenfells for high draft picks (and who knows if he is that good maybe Schaub also).

Ok, rip it apart!!!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Awtysst's Post Combine Stay Where We are Mock

I think its funny how everyone gives us crap for spending all of our first round picks on a dlineman and you want to do the same with our 2008 pick.

An no offense but Calais is no Peppers. To be honest be isnt even a first rounder in my opinion.

Whats wrong with Weaver? We need a complete team and better players will be available at positions of bigger need.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #3
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think its funny how everyone gives us crap for spending all of our first round picks on a dlineman and you want to do the same with our 2008 pick.

An no offense but Calais is no Peppers. To be honest be isnt even a first rounder in my opinion.

Whats wrong with Weaver? We need a complete team and better players will be available at positions of bigger need.
I think that a strong Dline can make a subpar group of DBs looks great. a Strong D line can make a decent group of Dbs look amazing, I never said that Campbell is Julius Peppers, I said is that type of player.

If you really need to ask what is wrong with Weaver, I wonder how close you really watched his play. He has been an absolute Bust as a DE. He does not have a high motor and he does not put pressure on the QB. Mario succeeded in his second year not becuase of Weaver but his own hard work and the emergence of Okoye. Okoye finally made defenses have to pay attention to another Texans Dliner than Mario. Remember what the Giants did to the Pats? Constant pressure=making worlds best QB hurry his throws and not get comfortable. Remember how everyone said that Brady would tear up the inferior Giant DBs? Thats didnt happen because of the pressure up front by the Dline.

Ok, so you didn't like my first pick, but did you read the rest? What did you think of other picks? This was a FULL Texans mock, not just a one rounder.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Calais Campbell ran slower than some DT's .
Old 03-02-2008   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 103323 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like the Texans taking projects with their top two picks. Campbell is not ready to start, and he needs a lot of work to develop into a pass rusher. I'm not that concerned about 40 times, because a DE isn't 40 yards away from the QB. I don't even know what position Cousins will play in the NFL. He was a RT in college. Can he convert to LT, or is he a OG? He's a year away, at least, from contributing.

The other picks seem solid, if not overly optimistic. I think a rookie QB would have to be special to make Kubiak keep 3 QBs.
Old 03-02-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

18. Houston Chris Williams, OT- land franchise ZBS LT
19. Philadelphia Jeff Otah, OT- Project to groom under Runyun/Thomas
21. Washington Kenny Phillips, SS- fills some big shoes of fellow Hurricane
22. Dallas Brandon Flowers, CB/FS- need secondary help, physical style can break in at nickle
23. Pittsburgh Brandon Albert, OG- athletic beast would work right in Fanaeca open slot

I would consider any of these as per my recent post combine mock draft.

Calais Campbell has dropped out of the first rd. he has even had a pro-day already Campbell, according to sources, was timed "about the same" at the Miami workout as he had at the Combine. In Indianapolis, Campbell appeared both slower and weaker than many expected, timing in at 5.10 seconds in the forty yard dash and posting only 16 repetitions of 225 pounds. Cambell was visibly disappointed with his performance today.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read