Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2008   #161
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reeves is Signed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
We get Reeves for 20 mill over 5 years, and gay signed for around 17.6 mill with the Saints for 4 years. Kinda disappointed we didn't get a chance at Gay, but hopefully Reeves can contribute.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Gay gave the Saints a home town discount, it was the first team he contacted and when they offered hom something he liked he accepted it without trying to up the price.
Old 03-03-2008   #162
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I hope so. It would make me feel better about everything...

I was thinking that 8M was a bit high for a 20M contract. 4M seems more in line with what I would expect.

Here's the deal, I think.

$4 million dollar signing bonus and his first two years' salary equals approximately $4 million guaranteed= total of $8 million.

According to Pat Kirwin, that's what teams are doing to increase the guaranteed dollars without increasing the bonus dollars.

Last edited by dalemurphy; 03-03-2008 at 02:51 PM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #163
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Here's the deal, I think.

$4 million dollar signing bonus and his first two years' salary equals approximately $4 million guaranteed= total of $8 million.

According to Pat Kirwin, that's what teams are doing to increase the guaranteed dollars without increasing the bonus dollars.
I'm not sure I would have signed him for 5 years but the contract makes sense financially.
Old 03-07-2008   #164
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Hope the change of scenery works....I think the Texans would be better served to draft a rookie CB first round over Reeves.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #165
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I'm not sure I would have signed him for 5 years but the contract makes sense financially.
They way the contract is structured, it is essentially a 2 year deal. After that he can be cut at any time with virtually no cap consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Hope the change of scenery works....I think the Texans would be better served to draft a rookie CB first round over Reeves.
Who says they won't do both?
Old 03-07-2008   #166
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a pretty good ESPN Insider article that brings up Reeves:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...26id%3d3277748

(somebody over at the offical board posted the releveant info, so props to him/her)

Quote:
Underrated

Jacques Reeves, CB, Texans: Reeves, formerly of the Cowboys, had a 7.9 YPA in 2007. That number alone says he is average, but it is skewed somewhat by three of his games. Reeves struggled in Week 2 at Miami, got beat for a 69-yard touchdown by Donte' Stallworth in Week 6 against New England and had a subpar showing in Week 11 against Washington.

Take those three tilts out of his numbers, and Reeves' YPA drops to 7.0, which is a starting-cornerback level YPA. He might not be a shutdown cornerback, but he certainly is an upgrade for a weak Houston secondary that can use all the help it can get.
Interesting, to me atleast.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #167
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure he was the corner that got beat in the Cowboys-Giants game and also got a facemask penalty on that same drive.....right before halftime I think.

He's got all the incentive in the world to improve his game. New team, new start. If he can do it great. If he can't get better than he was last year he'll just be Faggins with another number.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2008   #168
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Every time I saw a Cowboys game, he looked just like Faggins.

Not impressed with this signing at all.

Hopefully I will have to eat some crow after next season!
Old 03-07-2008   #169
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang guys!
From time to time everyone gets beat. That's why no one's YPA is 0.0.
Let's see what the youngster can do in our scheme.

And I'll have to disagree with the "looked like Faggins" comment at least this kid can tackle.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #170
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They way the contract is structured, it is essentially a 2 year deal. After that he can be cut at any time with virtually no cap consequence.

Who says they won't do both?
Not only do I think they will do both, I think we will pick a CB with our first overall and will have two new starters at CB in week 1.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #171
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Not only do I think they will do both, I think we will pick a CB with our first overall and will have two new starters at CB in week 1.

So you don't think Fred Bennett will start? Just asking.....

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #172
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
Reeves looks like a good nickel corner to me. I guess technically we'd roll out one new starter but I'm still viewing Bennett as a first time starter I guess.

Old 03-07-2008   #173
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reeves looks like a good nickel corner to me.
I see. I was thinking the the top 2 corners not thinking about the nickel package.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #174
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. I think it would be the wisest decision. It would also make Dunta's comeback less stressful for him. He won't have to start right away if that rookie is showing good progress.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #175
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
I think Fred did a nice a job. Considering he was a 4th rounder? I think w/ a full offseason, Ray Rhodes in town, i found him pretty reliable.
Old 03-07-2008   #176
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Can they or did they frontload the contract, so the entire signing bonus is applied this year, seeing as they're unlikely to use up all of their cap space?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #177
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Vinny, what DB do you like in this upcoming draft, that would be around the 18th pick?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #178
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Vinny, what DB do you like in this upcoming draft, that would be around the 18th pick?
Aqib Talib and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie look like two long term players with great ball skills and above average physical gifts. There may be a guy like Mike Jenkins (probably the best pure cover corner in the draft) slipping but he has character issues so I don't think we go with him if he falls. Who knows how bad his supposed character issues are.

Old 03-07-2008   #179
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aqib Talib and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie look like two long term players with great ball skills and above average physical gifts. There may be a guy like Mike Jenkins (probably the best pure cover corner in the draft) slipping but he has character issues so I don't think we go with him if he falls. Who knows how bad his supposed character issues are.
------------------------------

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report

Quote:
Coming into the season, Jenkins was already rated as one of the top corners in the nation. But, with the success that the Bulls have had - rising as high as #2 in the nation - that has given him the kind of exposure one of the top defensive backs in the country needs.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a better cover corner in the country - he's had 12 pass breakups and three interceptions this season despite teams trying to stay away from him. Last season, he had 15 pass breakups and was named as one of the nation's top corners by the Sporting News. He and fellow senior Trae Williams, who also should be selected on the first day of the draft, form one of the best corner duos in the country.

Jenkins' size, speed, and cover ability would seem to make him a solid first-round pick. However, there was an off-field issue earlier this year that might make some teams balk. In March, Jenkins and another USF starter, Carlton Williams, were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing or opposing an officer without violence and as a result were suspended for a time by USF coach Jim Leavitt.
High character is a must in the Roger Goodell era, so Jenkins is going to have to stay out of any sort of trouble. His arrest could drop him a few spots, but his talent will ensure he's taken before too long. But, if it was only a bump in the road, then the future looks bright for Jenkins as a quick-impact player in the NFL.

Update (1/4/08): Jenkins made three tackles in USF's 56-21 loss to Oregon in Monday's Sun Bowl. He finishes his senior season with 41 tackles, three interceptions, and 12 pass breakups.
Jenkins, the #1 senior corner according to NFLDraftScout.com, will participate in the Senior Bowl in Mobile on January 26.

Update (2/28/08): Jenkins clocked in at a best of 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine, which solidified his place as one of the top corners in the draft and a sure first-round pick.

Last Updated Feb-29-2008 by Eddie Griffin

-------------------
Several other sources have emphasized that this is the only incident he has been involved with. If this is indeed the case, I would certainly not be deterred to picking him.
-------------------

This piece compares him to Champ Bailey
Quote:
BIO:
Jenkins is an outstanding cover corner who can lock on and shut down an opponent's top receiver. He is a great athlete, and is very quick, with lethal closing speed. Mike also is versatile enough to play safety.
Click on his interview video.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #180
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not exactly Dillinger is he? If that is all there is, I doubt we walk away from him for that pretty minor issue if we want him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read