Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Reeves is Signed!

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Details aren't up yet, but the story has been posted on Chron.com... Also, according to McCain, we are currently working on Hadnot's contract with his agent.

Don't have a problem with it, but I still hope that Rick and Gary are open to a CB with the 18th pick if the right guy's still there.

wasn't high on this at first but i welcome him and hope for the best

I thought he was good last year. Remember, Cowboy fans also swear that Roy Williams is a better safety than Ronnie Lott was. I've actually had that argument with a couple of them. So, when they rip a player, take it with a grain of salt.

One of the posters posted his stats from the year. If I recall, he gave up 7 TDs and a completion % of 56.6... At 25 years old, I'll take those numbers and hope for some steady improvement.

I thought he was good last year. Remember, Cowboy fans also swear that Roy Williams is a better safety than Ronnie Lott was. I've actually had that argument with a couple of them. So, when they rip a player, take it with a grain of salt.

One of the posters posted his stats from the year. If I recall, he gave up 7 TDs and a completion % of 56.6... At 25 years old, I'll take those numbers and hope for some steady improvement.

I'm a Cowboys fan. And if I even heard my best friend say that, I would punch him in the face, cuz he obviously needs something rearranged up there.

Maybe you heard that five years ago, when he was actually good.

This guy seems average to better than average, so that would actually be an improvement in a few areas, if for no other reason that debth.

If I remember correctly, dude got beat numerous times in the NYG playoff game. I trust he's better than Petey though, so it's a decent signing imo.

Decent depth, for some reason I keep wanting to say Reeves will be a combination of Buchannon and Faggins, but we'll see what happens. I'm more excited about trying to get Hadnot, he can add some real talent to our line, especially with Gibbs to coach him up.

He's probablly a notch or two better then Faggins (which makes him several notches better then Fletcher), but I'm not sold on the idea of him starting opposite Bennett at the start of the season.

I'm withholding total judgement till I see the contract numbers.

Texans signed CB Jacques Reeves.

We've heard some positive comments on Reeves, which is surprising. His numbers suggest he was one of the most picked-on corners in the league. Houston badly needs depth with Dunta Robinson hurt, but they should hope Reeves has a small role.
Source: Houston Chronicle

wonder how much we paid? jags gave drayton florence 12m in GARUNTEES

I am not happy at all with this signing. I hope we are still looking at cb at #18. This guy is nickel caliber material, at best.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=854665&postcount=24

I don't mind the signing so long as it is not all we're doing at the spot. Preferably we bring in a veteran and draft someone early in the draft and let them duke it out for the spot opposite Bennett. Ideally he would be our nickelback but we might have to stomach him starting until Dunta gets back.

Playing opposite Newman will get you picked on some because they aren't going after Newman.

It seems a decent addition, especially if Dunta comes back at 100% (eventually).

I talked to a Cowboy fan today, he said that he doesn't want Reeves back but thinks he can be decent with a change of scenery.

I talked to a Cowboy fan today, he said that he doesn't want Reeves back but thinks he can be decent with a change of scenery.

Dallas is expected to adress CB in the 1st anyway, so it makes sense that the newcomer would at least play the nickel for them.

Texans sign CB Reeves to ease needs in secondary
Free-agent pickup from Dallas comes to team with 5-year, $20 million package

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have agreed to a contract with Dallas Cowboys cornerback Jacques Reeves, who was an unrestricted free agent. His five-year deal is worth $20 milllion.

Reeves, who started 13 games in four seasons with the Cowboys, visited with the Texans on Friday and attended the Rockets' victory over Memphis with general manager Rick Smith.

Smith reached the agreement with agent Brian Hamilton today.

At 5-11, 188 pounds, the 25-year-old Reeves is the veteran cornerback the Texans targeted. They're still going to draft a cornerback, maybe two, and they might sign another veteran.

After agreeing with Reeves, Smith turned his attention to Miami guard Rex Hadnot, who also visited Friday. Smith has been negotiating with Hadnot's agent, Brian Overstreet, in an attempt to get the deal done before the center leaves for other visits.

john.mcclain@chron.com
chron.com

Here's his deal as reported by the Chron. Hope his bonus wasn't too big.

Like Scourage and 281 I think this was a bad signing if he is to be a Nickel guy I would have rather had Gay

4 years 20 million!? :elle:

man, there's no way this guy gets cut. not liking this signing at ALL.

Like I posted a little while ago in a different thread...

Starting with the Clements signing, CBs are about to start getting PAID.

There is a high demand for the position, even just for depth.

Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves!

Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves!

A lot of money for someone who isn't really "star" quality. Maybe the Texans see something in him others don't. But from what I've read this guy is just another Joe Backfield.

I would rather have Green siting on the benching looking good of the cameras every game then watching our team throw money to a guy that is going to get burned. I am so tired of other teams cast offs, its not like this guy was anygood in the first place. Look at other FA's right now and they are not being signed back to their team because the kind of cheddar they want

Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves![/QUOTE

I don't recall Smith or Kubiak promising a "Big Free Agent" signing for this year.IIRC,they specifically said they would be looking for mid-level guys this year.Can't remember last year though.

I saw the link on the Comical website, but it's gone now. I wonder what that means. It said a 20 mil deal on the headline but not how many years.

Didn't mind this signing before, tbh. I'm not a fan but I just thought it's worth seeing if we can get anything out of him. That's an huge amount of money for a guy in Reeves' position though. Looks like a poor deal.

Considering my background..Cowboy.. I'll say what I said in the thread yesterday. The guy has some games where you are really impressed.....maybe some breaks on the ball, some tackles, etc. But he did fold down the stretch and was giving up plays. I watched him pretty closely throughout the season.

Overall he is secondary help and depth..not someone to hang a star on unless he becomes more consistent.

Haven't seen any numbers for guaranteed money yet.

A lot of people making a big deal about the $20 million, but remember that is not guaranteed money.

He only gets that much if he plays out the whole contract.

I don't recall Smith or Kubiak promising a "Big Free Agent" signing for this year.IIRC,they specifically said they would be looking for mid-level guys this year.Can't remember last year though.

Exactly, in fact Rick Smith specifically said that we would not be singing a "Big Free Agent". It's your fault if you didn't believe him.

guys look at the other contracts going around.. reeves doesnt seem too bad at all

and applepie, actually they promised they (FO) wouldnt be big splashers in FA... but whatever suits your agenda

guys look at the other contracts going around.. reeves doesnt seem too bad at all

and applepie, actually they promised they (FO) wouldnt be big splashers in FA... but whatever suits your agenda

I agree, this is about half of what Clements and Samuel got. 5 years 20 mil, it all depends on structure and boneses; but on the surface it looks to be a reseaonable deal.

The kid did start on a 13 win team last year, spending some of that time as the #1 CB.

Wow, big thumbs down from me. That money should've gone to Von Hutchins instead.

The question is: Did we offer that kind of money to Hutchins or Demps only to have those guys decide to turn the offer down so they could "test the waters" because they figured they could do better.

I'm thinking yes we did, but the truth is that we'll never really know the answer to that question.

Exactly, in fact Rick Smith specifically said that we would not be singing a "Big Free Agent". It's your fault if you didn't believe him.

We get promised playmakers every year, and get a bunch of crap through FA. Great drafts, horrible free agency.

We get promised playmakers every year, and get a bunch of crap through FA. Great drafts, horrible free agency.

You find the quote where Rick Smith said we would go after the bid name free agents this year, and get back to me when you fint it...I'll wait.

5 years $20 mil but no listing of what the guaranteed money is. that is the important part about any contract that is signed in the NFL.

The 49ers had a "great" F/A season last year and they still sucked. I'd rather save our money to sign good draft picks.

Back