Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2008   #141
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Reeves is Signed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Look at the history of all the successful organizations since the Salary Cap era began. The teams that maintained their relevance are teams that didn't spend big money during FA:

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, and Indianapolis...

They sometimes secure their own young talent with big money, draft well, fill-in with bargain free agents, and rarely chase someone with big money.

This is what Kubiak and Smith want to become. Show me a successful organization over a 6-10 timespan that threw big bucks at FAs.

Even NE last year, though they were aggressive, gave very cap-friendly contracts to: RMoss, DStallworth (both FAs after one year) and Wes Welker.
and now NE is paying the price for not locking those guys up more longterm. They look to resign Moss but its gonna be the most money they have spent on a non-QB on offense in a while.
Old 03-02-2008   #142
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
and now NE is paying the price for not locking those guys up more longterm. They look to resign Moss but its gonna be the most money they have spent on a non-QB on offense in a while.
I guess Ol' Bill thought everybody wants to be a Patriot ... heck they'd pay him to play .

I think the Pats have lost some luster since spygate and losing the Super Bowl .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #143
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Nolast year it was said we had no cap room what so ever because of so much Dead Money thanks to a lot of guys who were cut after they were signed by casserly to stupidly large contracts late in their careers.

I am curious how many games and tapes you have watched of Reeves and Bently to say that they not improvements over Anderson and Hutchinson, because you are saying we have not improved at all so you must have watched lots of games to know.
Spec, I promise you he's seen very little, if any, tape on either player.

Long term winning franchises build throught the draft, not free agency. If you want to be a fan of a team that makes the big FA splash, may I recommend the Redskins or the 49ers.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #144
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

According to HPF, Reeves guaranteed money is around $8 million.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/ (story is on the front page)

I'm really questioning this signing, and that $ figure only adds to my concern.
I can't find any info indicating that Reeves had ever played at safety, but what do you think the odds are of him being tried out at FS?
He is a pretty good tackler from what I've read, and seems to like to play facing the QB. His speed is supposed to be pretty good, so it might be worth a shot...
he is on the smallish side for a safety, but there are some his size (Hutchins is similar), and he has the tackling skills of a larger guy.

???

Last edited by michaelm; 03-03-2008 at 02:15 AM.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #145
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

All my cowboy buddies keep laughing at me, I just hope he kicks ass and become s a pro bowler. I am trying to be positive here . We better draft a CB come draft day though.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #146
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
According to HPF, Reeves guaranteed money is around $8 million.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/ (story is on the front page)

I'm really questioning this signing, and that $ figure only adds to my concern.
I can't find any info indicating that Reeves had ever played at safety, but what do you think the odds are of him being tried out at FS?
He is a pretty good tackler from what I've read, and seems to like to play facing the QB. His speed is supposed to be pretty good, so it might be worth a shot...
he is on the smallish side for a safety, but there are some his size (Hutchins is similar), and he has the tackling skills of a larger guy.

???
I just don't get how anybody could be concerned over the $ in this move.

People, it's 8M quarenteed over 5 years.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #147
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I just don't get how anybody could be concerned over the $ in this move.

People, it's 8M quarenteed over 5 years.
according to the Chronic, the signing bonus is only $4 million...
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2008   #148
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with the signing if our FO targeted the guy and for the money given. We will be playing more zone (which I am not a big fan), which means you need to field bigger guys in the secondary. Our safeties do have some size, but I am not sold on the current lot being able to cover a man let alone an area.

Dunta going down last year with those type of injuries has put this unit in a tough spot due to his contract being up for renegotiation after 2008. Do we exhaust money on a CB in the first round or do we continue to acquire folks off the wire and see what fits? We have the experience on the coaching staff and front office to patchwork a unit.

I would not be surprised if we passed on a CB in the 1st and wait to see who gets cut over the next months and acquire via the wire rather than through the draft.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 03-03-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #149
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm confused. The article in the chronicle stated Reeves played in Dallas and Wade Phillips implemented a zone-blitzing scheme. Reeves stated he preferred to line up on the WR and run with him. We're going more towards Zone and it's been said Reeves should be better in Zone.

So what the heck is going on? I hope he fits what we're trying to do. Getting the right guys that fit your system is all that matters.

Just because someone is a $50million Cornerback doesn't mean he'd make your team better. So I'm glad they're targeting guys who can excel in our system.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #150
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if this signing and the larger than expected contract has anything to do with being from Purdue. SmithGM is from Purdue.

Just sayin..
Old 03-03-2008   #151
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
according to the Chronic, the signing bonus is only $4 million..
And that's the only part that is actually guaranteed I think. Can someone explain this? I was listening to McClain with one ear this morning and it seems like that's what he said...?
Old 03-03-2008   #152
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I wonder if this signing and the larger than expected contract has anything to do with being from Purdue. SmithGM is from Purdue.

Just sayin..
Nice conspiracy theory...

I think its more just a result of the market for DB's being driven up - going back to even last year... Personally, I think teams are placing too much value on DB's which includes mediocre DB's.
Old 03-03-2008   #153
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

if its only 4m in garunteed money, id be very content with this signing
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #154
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
if its only 4m in garunteed money, id be very content with this signing

The Chronic's the one reporting $4MM - it's more recent than the report of $8MM, and say what you will about the Fat Man, with this type of information, he's likely to be correct.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #155
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The Chronic's the one reporting $4MM - it's more recent than the report of $8MM, and say what you will about the Fat Man, with this type of information, he's likely to be correct.
I hope so. It would make me feel better about everything...

I was thinking that 8M was a bit high for a 20M contract. 4M seems more in line with what I would expect.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #156
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel more comfortable knowing the guaranteed portion of his contract will be $4 million. Not exactly small, but shouldn't have any real cap ramifications if he doesn't work out and is cut in a couple years.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #157
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

there is no Purdue conspiracy theory and for that matter Purdue has put some elite DBs into the NFL over the years. Truly elite.
Old 03-03-2008   #158
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I retract my previous statement. I was under the impression that since he signed 5 yrs 20 million his guaranteed money would be in the neighborhood of 10 million. If it is indeed 4 million then this is a solid signing.

This guy will either be P Burnt 2.0 or a solid starting CB for us, coaching up this type of player is what we brought Ray Rhodes in here for.
Old 03-03-2008   #159
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

This signing is a complete win-win for the Texans organization. While the $20M can appear to be intimidating, the $4M guaranteed amount is the part that truly matters. The fact is that there is a premium on CBs this offseason (Florence signing for $36M with $12M guaranteed is evidence of that), and we signed a player with some tools and upside who will work with Hoke and Rhodes to realize some of his potential. He will be changing schemes to a man coverage scheme that he feels better suits him, since Dallas' scheme had him play off of his man and was a bad fit for him. If he plays well, he will earn every penny of his contract. If he doesn't play well, he will be relegated to nickel duties and cut in a few seasons with a modest cap hit. There is nothing to not like about this signing.
Old 03-03-2008   #160
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We get Reeves for 20 mill over 5 years, and gay signed for around 17.6 mill with the Saints for 4 years. Kinda disappointed we didn't get a chance at Gay, but hopefully Reeves can contribute.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read