Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-02-2008   #121
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reeves is Signed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I know that but he spent a good part of last season as a starter, and he spent that time on a 13 win team.

I would say that Reeves will challenge Bennett for role as "best" CB till D-Robs return. Reeves is easily better then Fletcher and Faggins.

Of course this could all change depending on the draft.
Once again Hoth we are in agreement.

I'm wondering at this point how Dunta's recovery process is coming along. I do agree on some people here over valuing Von. Good player in the role we wanted him as but I'm confused at the people here. Some are wanting the big name guys but then were all on re-signing Von on the cheap. Which is it guys?

Over the length of the contract that's not a bad contract to get into a guy that has good experience, is fairly young, and has played with a top notch CB like Newman. It's pretty much like most of us expected 2nd Tier FA CB.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #122
was385
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if their targeted starting cb is on the board #18 they still select him. However if not, Smith might feel a little more comfortable accepting a viable trade down offer
I definitely hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB but at the same time I think this increases the chances of trading down to take Phillips and getting a second rounder, which I would still be happy with. I'm confident in the FO to make a good pick so I'm not all that worried.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #123
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
Hear ye to what?

We were promised what we are getting. Rick Smith said that we would NOT be signing any big name FAs.

Ignore the GM at the risk of makin' a fool out of yourself.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #124
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
i'll take montana as a clone, any way we can mix in mike vicks speed?
If ya gonna clone somebody, clone Jim Brown or Walter Payton. And while we're playing Mad Scientist, clone Deacon Jones to line up opposite Mario and Mel Blount to be our #1 CB.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #125
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
I definitely hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB but at the same time I think this increases the chances of trading down to take Phillips and getting a second rounder, which I would still be happy with. I'm confident in the FO to make a good pick so I'm not all that worried.
I don't think it will. This guy should play nickel and dime situations. I don't think they expect him to start unless something goes wrong, like more injuries. Fletcher and Faggins should be put on emergency duty.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #126
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't think it will. This guy should play nickel and dime situations. I don't think they expect him to start unless something goes wrong, like more injuries. Fletcher and Faggins should be put on emergency duty.
I disagree with you. You don't pay a backup $20 million? You do that for very long & you'll be in cap hell real quick. I'm of the opinion that he was signed with the intent being to start him.

While I haven't seen Reeves play, I'm starting to get very intrigued by the kid.

Reading all the negative posts on the internet about him reminds me so much of this board in that, everytime a young player makes a bonehead play, the same overwhelming group of fans pile on him. They don't seem capable of getting over their disappointment & looking at the circumstances that contributed to that play. Hell, even I've been guilty of it.

Let's give this kid a chance. Obviously, the coaches & GM see something in him. Not to mention, all the other teams that were interested in him. He's obviously got something. I just hope it's not a really good agent.

I'm wondering if the veteran FA CB they're referring to could be Ty Law? Or, perhaps Jason Webster (assuming he's healthy), Eugene Wilson, Sammy Davis, or Hank Poteat?

There's also a lot of safeties still twisting in the wind like our own Will Demps & Mike Doss.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #127
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I disagree with you. You don't pay a backup $20 million? You do that for very long & you'll be in cap hell real quick. I'm of the opinion that he was signed with the intent being to start him.
5 years $20 million. And he's a corner. Teams do pay corners alot to be nickel and dime guys. The Jaguars paid Florence $36 million over 6 years and they have Mathis and Brian Williams. They've chose not to resign Cousin so they are probably bringing Florence in to play nickel and compete for starting job.

I didn't say the guy won't compete for a starting job, I just don't think, come Game 1, he will be a starter.
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2008   #128
was385
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Once Dunta returns, he'll slide into a nickel role but until then he should start. Nickelbacks can be very valuable and having a good one should go a long way against the Colts, who use so many receivers.

Contract isn't bad if he can come in, be a decent starter until Dunta returns, and then strengthen the secondary in nickel situations.
Old 03-02-2008   #129
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

I'd bet that our #2 is next year, before Dunta comes back, will be a rookie.
Old 03-02-2008   #130
was385
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd bet that our #2 is next year, before Dunta comes back, will be a rookie.
If they go that route with the first pick then it very well could be. I'm still expecting the FO to take a RB (Stewart?) with that 18th pick or trade down and get a 2nd rounder as well, snag Phillips in the first and grab an RB in the second (Rice or Charles).
Old 03-02-2008   #131
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

If you have NFL Network, they're running the Dallas/Giants playoff game. I'm checking it out to see what Reeves is about.

He's lined up man-on-man with Plaxico when the 'boys play man.

Plus I get to see the Cowboys lose again... but that's gravy
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #132
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Hoth-Boy;856180]Hear ye to what?

We were promised what we are getting. Rick Smith said that we would NOT be signing any big name FAs.
QUOTE]

And that, sir ....... IS the point!
:music:
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #133
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Hear ye to what?

And that, sir ....... IS the point!
:music:
Would you rather over-spend this year, on your percious big names, and risk having cap issues for several more years (not to mention that this is an extremly weak FA class), or would you rather spend one more year being a little tighter with the money to be able to make a bis signing next year in what should a) be a better FA class and b) have the team in a better position to benefit from the addition of a big name FA?
Old 03-02-2008   #134
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

I'll give Reeves this, the kid ain't afraid to hit somebody.
Old 03-02-2008   #135
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you rather over-spend this year, on your percious big names, and risk having cap issues for several more years (not to mention that this is an extremly weak FA class), or would you rather spend one more year being a little tighter with the money to be able to make a bis signing next year in what should a) be a better FA class and b) have the team in a better position to benefit from the addition of a big name FA?
That's what we said last year....

Meanwhile the best FAs get signed by others. I don't mean to foolishly dish out the $$$. But, we need to get in the game because we have too many holes to fill just thru the draft. So far, we've lost 2 mediocre backups and have signed 2 mediocre backups. That's not improving our team.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #136
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Meanwhile the best FAs get signed by others. I don't mean to foolishly dish out the $$$. But, we need to get in the game because we have too many holes to fill just thru the draft. So far, we've lost 2 mediocre backups and have signed 2 mediocre backups. That's not improving our team.
It will be if we can find a starter or two in the draft, and maybe a few more mediocre backups.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #137
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If ya gonna clone somebody, clone Jim Brown or Walter Payton. And while we're playing Mad Scientist, clone Deacon Jones to line up opposite Mario and Mel Blount to be our #1 CB.
I'll take a Deion clone opposite Blount to make it truly sick. Dunta can play Safety when he comes back.
Old 03-02-2008   #138
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
Once Dunta returns, he'll slide into a nickel role but until then he should start. Nickelbacks can be very valuable and having a good one should go a long way against the Colts, who use so many receivers.

Contract isn't bad if he can come in, be a decent starter until Dunta returns, and then strengthen the secondary in nickel situations.
true, we need all the db's we can get
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #139
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nolast year it was said we had no cap room what so ever because of so much Dead Money thanks to a lot of guys who were cut after they were signed by casserly to stupidly large contracts late in their careers.

I am curious how many games and tapes you have watched of Reeves and Bently to say that they not improvements over Anderson and Hutchinson, because you are saying we have not improved at all so you must have watched lots of games to know.
Old 03-02-2008   #140
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Look at the history of all the successful organizations since the Salary Cap era began. The teams that maintained their relevance are teams that didn't spend big money during FA:

Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New England, and Indianapolis...

They sometimes secure their own young talent with big money, draft well, fill-in with bargain free agents, and rarely chase someone with big money.

This is what Kubiak and Smith want to become. Show me a successful organization over a 6-10 timespan that threw big bucks at FAs.

Even NE last year, though they were aggressive, gave very cap-friendly contracts to: RMoss, DStallworth (both FAs after one year) and Wes Welker.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read