Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2008   #101
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reeves is Signed!

I wonder if we do this deal without Dunta Robinson going down? if yes, its a great deal, no means they just covered the bases.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #102
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think this is extremely important and has been generally overlooked so far.

Richard Smith has been known to run his fair share or zone. Ray Rhodes was brought in and is known for his zone scheme. Think what you will of Reeves, but if nothing else this signing shows that our defense is starting to develop an identity, something that people have been yearning for. Now that's not to say that the zone scheme is something that I want, but from adding Ray Rhodes to signing Jacques Reeves all signs point to a zone scheme in our defense's future.

I think this also has implications for what type of corner we will be picking up in the draft. Who are some corners who excel in zone coverage? Aqib Talib? Tracy Porter? Leodis McKelvin?

I also think Fred Bennett is a fit for this system and that might be why we picked him last year. He might not be the most physical reviever in coverage but it seems like nearly all of his picks last season came on plays where he seemingly came out of nowhere to pick the ball off of its path, the type of play you want from your DBs in zone coverage. From what I've read Reeves offers the same type of skill set.

Here's to hoping he exels in our system under Hoke and Rhode's tutelage.
They ran zone out of necessity. They would prefer to play more man.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #103
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now, about Jacques Reeves. All you Cowboys fans who are laughing at the Texans and sending condolences for signing Reeves to a five-year, $20 million contract, here's what I know.

After watching tape of every Cowboys game, the Texans' pro personnel people, as well as general manager Rick Smith, decided he would fit into what they're doing in the secondary.

Before Smith pursued Reeves, he went to coach Gary Kubiak to get his opinion. Then, they went to defensive coordinator Richard Smith, secondary coach Jon Hoke and assistant secondary coach Ray Rhodes to see what they thought.

Based on what the Texans had to spend under the cap, the decision was to target Reeves. The coaches believe he has an upside. They believe he can help the team. They might be right, and they might be wrong.

All of you who are blasting the Reeves move, you might be right, but you might be wrong, too. Sorry but I'm going to side with Hoke and Rhodes and the pro personnel people over you. No offense, of course.

I think the signing of Reeves is the first of several moves the Texans are going to make to improve their secondary. I think they'll sign another veteran and use their No. 1 pick on a cornerback, as well.
McClain's take on the signng.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/02/t..._sights_o.html
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #104
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacques Reeves' contract with the Texans is worth $20 million over five seasons, according to NFL Network.
We haven't seen the guaranteed money, but this indicates he'll be a starter, possibly even when Dunta Robinson returns from his knee injury. Reeves has blazing speed, but is notorious for giving receivers tons of room underneath. There is no question he's being overpaid. Mar. 2 - 9:55 am et
What my greatest concern is the analysis which I already mention in a previous post as being also my personal observation from last year. I hope that the "system" and our "upcoaching" neutralizes his greatest liability.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #105
stiff
Rookie

Like several others have mentioned this is a good signing if nothing more than adding depth to the secondary. We will see what Ray Thodes can do with him. Reeves is still fairly young had seems to have a lot of upside.

The Texans still need to look for secondary help in the draft. The ideal situation would be to trade back and pick up a second round pick. Then use either the first or second round pick on a CB, then draft a RB in the 3rd round
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #106
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

This seems to have more than a bit of the "P-burnt" smell about it. Talented, speedy guy who gets burned deep. The difference seems to be that he will stick his nose in there and make a tackle. I think it will depend on what Rohdes and Hoke can do with him. We just bought a potential gem/bust guy.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #107
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

What I don't understand about this deal is that we spent $20 million for Reeves (J-Burnt) and let Von Hutchins go to Atlanta for a mere $9 million. I know the Texans think that there is some upside to Reeves but Von Hutchins really contributed alot to our defense last year. Speed alone won't get it done in the NFL as we all know.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2008   #108
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 124145 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

For some reason this Jacques Cousteau signing doesn't excite me at all. I think CB is going to be a serious area of concern next year. Kinda like putting a band aid on a gashed artery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #109
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

First off I think some of us fans are over-valuing Von.

Secondly, everybody needs to stop acting like Reeves is ever going to see al 20M of his contract.

Rick Smith and Co. have put few feet wrong since assuming control of the team, and they have earned the trust of the fans.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-02-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2008   #110
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think we can all agree that we overpaid for this guy.
Old 03-02-2008   #111
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

I'm begining to think that some of y'all have an odd sense of the finances of the NFL.

8M quranteed over 5 years, for a CB with starting expeirence (as a #1 no less), and who is likely to be the stop gap starter till/if Dunta comes back...and y'all think he is overpaid?
Old 03-02-2008   #112
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

"Kubiak said the Texans targeted Reeves from the beginning and that defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Rhodes wanted Reeves."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5584911.html

I don't know much at all about this kid, but if this is true it makes me feel a lot better about the signing. They obviously see something in this kid. How many street free agents did Rick Smith pick up last year with limited time that worked out for us? Hopefully this will too.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #113
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'm begining to think that some of y'all have an odd sense of the finances of the NFL.

8M quranteed over 5 years, for a CB with starting expeirence (as a #1 no less), and who is likely to be the stop gap starter till/if Dunta comes back...and y'all think he is overpaid?
I would think that Terrance Newman was their number one CB and Anthony Harris was their #2. Either way, teams don't line CBs up as #1s or #2s. They generally line up on one side or the other. Teams move WRs around to maximize match ups. I could be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

Something else to consider, Reeves never really was their starter. He only filled in for when Harris and Newman went down with injuries. He went back to the nickle position after they returned from their injuries.
Old 03-02-2008   #114
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I would think that Terrance Newman was their number one CB and Anthony Harris was their #2. Either way, teams don't line CBs up as #1s or #2s. They generally line up on one side or the other. Teams move WRs around to maximize match ups. I could be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

Something else to consider, Reeves never really was their starter. He only filled in for when Harris and Newman went down with injuries. He went back to the nickle position after they returned from their injuries.
I know that but he spent a good part of last season as a starter, and he spent that time on a 13 win team.

I would say that Reeves will challenge Bennett for role as "best" CB till D-Robs return. Reeves is easily better then Fletcher and Faggins.

Of course this could all change depending on the draft.
Old 03-02-2008   #115
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post

I beleive nickle is where the front office & coaching staff project him to play. this position requires good recognition, instincts & toughness to stick your nose over the middle in run support or laying out underneath support. this is specificly where he is an upgrade over Hutchins & reason why fans have been complaining some time about lack of toughness in secondary. everyone is mistaken penciling in Reeves as the "NEW" starting cb when in reality he will serve the same role here as in Dallas

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-02-2008   #116
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I beleive nickle is where the front office & coaching staff project him to play. this position requires good recognition, instincts & toughness to stick your nose over the middle in run support or laying out underneath support. this is specificly where he is an upgrade over Hutchins & reason why fans have been complaining some time about lack of toughness in secondary. everyone is mistaken penciling in Reeves as the "NEW" starting cb when in reality he will serve the same role here as in Dallas
Assuming the rumor is true about 8 million guaranteed...

8 million guaranteed doesn't really tell me that. That tells me they're expecting him to start somewhat. I think that he'll start until Dunta returns. That's what I'm guessing.

I'm not exactly sold on Reeves but I do think he'll be a better CB than Drayton Florence who I think is grossly overrated (And I wanted him) for the money he got. I guess I don't know too much about Reeves and what I liked about Florence was that he's willing to smack a dirty hit here and there as per the Schaub leveling and that's something that's SEVERELY missing from our team. Will Reeves do that? I don't know. I don't really know enough about him. I hate the Cowboys so much that I don't even really analyze their team. A flaw of mine, I guess. I really do have a lot of animosity for the Cowboys. Oh well!
Old 03-02-2008   #117
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

As I stated before, I'm not that high on this signing. I'm gonna hide and watch because of Kubes' and Smith's overall great record at grading talent. I hope this doesn't deter us from taking a CB in the 1st if that's the BPA.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #118
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Every year, we wait for the "Big Free Agent Signing" we are promised, and its always somebody like Weaver, Green, or Reeves!
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #119
was385
Rookie

I like the signing. He can at least step in and start until Dunta is back and then we've got a very solid nickel back after. It's not going to completely take away the secondary problems but it'll help. Not sure what this does for the chances of taking a cornerback in the first round though.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #120
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
I like the signing. He can at least step in and start until Dunta is back and then we've got a very solid nickel back after. It's not going to completely take away the secondary problems but it'll help. Not sure what this does for the chances of taking a cornerback in the first round though.
if their targeted starting cb is on the board #18 they still select him. However if not, Smith might feel a little more comfortable accepting a viable trade down offer

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read