Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2008   #61
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reeves is Signed!

Quote:
After thinking about this for a while and reading an article on him recently, I'm starting to think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to re-sign him as a third or fourth CB (assuming we draft one in the first or second round).

Here's my thinking......

He started 13 games last year and gained valuable experience. He was often lined up against #1 WR's such as Moss and Burress. He would be much better in the slot against 3rd WR's.

He may be the fastest player on the team. He was the Big 10 sprint champ while at Purdue. You can't teach speed.

He's an excellent tackler. Only one receiver was able to break one of his tackles last year. Once he wraps up, they're going down.

He only committed two penalties all year for a total of 19 yards.

Quarterbacks threw at him 122 times last year. They completed 56.6% of their passes for an average of 12.8 yards per catch. He only allowed 7 TD's all year (though it seemed like more). In comparison, Dre Bly was thrown at 87 times, and QB's completed 56.3% of their passes for a 15 yard average and 10 TD's.

I'm not saying to sign him to be a starter or to break the bank for him. But he might be someone to consider since good CB's are hard to find. Just a thought.....
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=200385

Btw, Reeves ran a 4.62 in the 40. Don't know what made this guy think that he might've been the "fastest player" on the cowboys.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #62
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dre Bly has always been overrated because of his ability to make plays on the ball.

.....like DeAngelo Hall.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #63
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
we ran a lot of zone defense last year so this looks like a good fit
I think this is extremely important and has been generally overlooked so far.

Richard Smith has been known to run his fair share or zone. Ray Rhodes was brought in and is known for his zone scheme. Think what you will of Reeves, but if nothing else this signing shows that our defense is starting to develop an identity, something that people have been yearning for. Now that's not to say that the zone scheme is something that I want, but from adding Ray Rhodes to signing Jacques Reeves all signs point to a zone scheme in our defense's future.

I think this also has implications for what type of corner we will be picking up in the draft. Who are some corners who excel in zone coverage? Aqib Talib? Tracy Porter? Leodis McKelvin?

I also think Fred Bennett is a fit for this system and that might be why we picked him last year. He might not be the most physical reviever in coverage but it seems like nearly all of his picks last season came on plays where he seemingly came out of nowhere to pick the ball off of its path, the type of play you want from your DBs in zone coverage. From what I've read Reeves offers the same type of skill set.

Here's to hoping he exels in our system under Hoke and Rhode's tutelage.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 03-01-2008 at 08:34 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #64
whiskeyrbl

I'm not sure about this move but I will gives Kubes and Smith the benefit of the doubt. They know what they are looking for.
Old 03-01-2008   #65
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
we ran a lot of zone defense last year so this looks like a good fit
We ran a lot of zone because we lacked the talent to do much else. I don't think this is such a great deal at the price we had to pay. Maybe it'll turn out OK, but I doubt it. This move only makes the draft waters muddier for me. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on a potential pro bowler thatn spend big $$$ in FA on a potential Petey Jr.
Old 03-01-2008   #66
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
We ran a lot of zone because we lacked the talent to do much else. I don't think this is such a great deal at the price we had to pay. Maybe it'll turn out OK, but I doubt it. This move only makes the draft waters muddier for me. I would rather us spend our 1st rounder on a potential pro bowler thatn spend big $$$ in FA on a potential Petey Jr.
How do you know it is big money? You deen the contract details, and know how much is quarenteed?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #67
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the fact he is a physical run defender by reputation helps too.

They obviously value physical corners, just look at Dunta.

If you get Robinson, Reeves and Bennett in the Nickel you have a pretty good run stoppind defense too which is important against the teams we match up with.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2008   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think this is extremely important and has been generally overlooked so far.

Richard Smith has been known to run his fair share or zone. Ray Rhodes was brought in and is known for his zone scheme. Think what you will of Reeves, but if nothing else this signing shows that our defense is starting to develop an identity, something that people have been yearning for. Now that's not to say that the zone scheme is something that I want, but from adding Ray Rhodes to signing Jacques Reeves all signs point to a zone scheme in our defense's future.

I think this also has implications for what type of corner we will be picking up in the draft. Who are some corners who excel in zone coverage? Aqib Talib? Tracy Porter? Leodis McKelvin?

I also think Fred Bennett is a fit for this system and that might be why we picked him last year. He might not be the most physical reviever in coverage but it seems like nearly all of his picks last season came on plays where he seemingly came out of nowhere to pick the ball off of its path, the type of play you want from your DBs in zone coverage. From what I've read Reeves offers the same type of skill set.

Here's to hoping he exels in our system under Hoke and Rhode's tutelage.
He, indeed, did cover #1 and #2 WRs. His main criticism was that he routinely played off the recievers by about 10 ft, and still gave up his average of almost 13 yds. The feeling is that he needs to be in a system where there is a good rush so that he is not running after his prey for more than a couple of seconds.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #69
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Can ANYONE TELL ME WHY IN THE NAME OF (CURSE) did we give an EXTREMELY AVERAGE CORNER 20 MILLION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

i know he's not getting the full 20 but still. COME ON.

Dumb signings like this will make the run for 'burner' Turner even MORE difficult due to cap space.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #70
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I got this off a Cowboys blog. Although there were many posters with nothing good to say about Reeves, these two were positive.

"I'm a little suprised by nearly everyone's comments about reeves. It is hard to forget the last minute of the first half of the playoff game, however he played decent all year. There were multipe games where all you would hear from the announcers on the first series was "so and so are going to go after reeves all game" ahh yeah how often did that work! The only regualr season game that he didnt play well in and the cowboys lost was N.E. Now Im not saying the cowboys can't use a upgrade at cb especially in the draft but to say reeves is no better than a 4th corner just isn't true. I havent heard of a team finishing 13-3 thats had a 4th corner start 13 games."

"His weaknesses wouldn't be as exposed if both Newman and Henry didn't struggle with injuries. He was serviceable. He did get beat. But he also held his own at times. Many teams don't have 2 good CB's. So he would be an upgrade somewhere."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...-busy-man.html
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #71
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Can ANYONE TELL ME WHY IN THE NAME OF (CURSE) did we give an EXTREMELY AVERAGE CORNER 20 MILLION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dumb signings like this will make the run for 'burner' Turner even MORE difficult due to cap space.
He's slightly better than average, which helps us. Keep buying those tickets, we need the money.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #72
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

THe declared value of the contract is meaningless, it's the guaranteed amount that matters more then anything else; and we have yet to hear how much money is guaranteed in the contract. So simmer down.

Secondly, Turner was never coming here to begin with. Smith said no big name free agents and that means no Turner. Even if we had wanted to sign him, Atlanta is gong to pull out a big wad of cash and more then likely overpay for his services.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #73
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Looks like Hutchins replacement.
good call

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #74
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
THe declared value of the contract is meaningless, it's the guaranteed amount that matters more then anything else; and we have yet to hear how much money is guaranteed in the contract. So simmer down.

Secondly, Turner was never coming here to begin with. Smith said no big name free agents and that means no Turner. Even if we had wanted to sign him, Atlanta is gong to pull out a big wad of cash and more then likely overpay for his services.
Agree to disagree......i heard differently. Rick can SAY a lot of stuff just to throw people off, just like he isnt talking about the draft.

They could throw BOATLOADS of cash but Burner would have to decide if the money was really worth going to a team with no identity, no QB, and a brand new coach w/ an unproven system..........The exact opposite here.
Old 03-01-2008   #75
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

EDIT: Beaten.
I don't know, after reading about the 8m gauranteed I'm starting to have slight misgivings here. I don't think this is as bad as Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood, but it could be.

Hopefully this guy's experience will benefit us and the change of scenery will benefit him (hopeless optimism)

Last edited by b0ng; 03-01-2008 at 09:13 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #76
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Oh the HORROR.

Should've kept Hutchins at least he was versatile.

At least w/ him you know what you're getting...versus the unproven.
Old 03-01-2008   #77
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
EDIT: Beaten.
I don't know, after reading about the 8m gauranteed I'm starting to have slight misgivings here. I don't think this is as bad as Anthony Weaver or Morlon Greenwood, but it could be.

Hopefully this guy's experience will benefit us and the change of scenery will benefit him (hopeless optimism)
I still haven't seen anything about guaranteed $$$. You have a link?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #78
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I still haven't seen anything about guaranteed $$$. You have a link?
EDIT: I"m a dumbass here you go.

8m garunteed.

Last edited by b0ng; 03-01-2008 at 09:41 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #79
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

turner isn't going to shut down peyton, the offense was fine minus the turnovers, dont forget that jax has upgraded at wr, we need db's, we dont have a gamebreaker at rb but we have a stable of rb's
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #80
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
EDIT: I"m a dumbass here you go.

8m garunteed.
That was speculation...
did you notice that the blogger said "...it is believed that 8 mil was guaranteed"
That Dallas blogger has no more clue than we do on what the contract actually says.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read