Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-29-2008   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Texans Sign Kevin Bentley

Quote:
The Texans have set up a visit with Seattle linebacker Kevin Bentley for Sunday.

The 6-foot, 238-pound Bentley has been a versatile backup for the Seahawks the past three seasons and has seen playing time at all three linebacker positions.

The Texans need a starter at outside linebacker opposite of Morlon Greenwood. Danny Clark and Charlie Anderson started there for the Texans last season and both are unrestricted free agents.

Bentley already has a Texas connection. Texans assistant defensive backs coach Ray Rhodes spent the last five seasons with Seattle.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5582921.html
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans to interview Kevin Bentley

I would rather have Charlie Anderson back. If this Bentley guy hasn't been able to win a starting job the last 6 years, what makes him think he'll be able to earn a starting spot here? Seems like a backup guy to me.
Old 02-29-2008   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I would rather have Charlie Anderson back. If this Bentley guy hasn't been able to win a starting job the last 6 years, what makes him think he'll be able to earn a starting spot here? Seems like a backup guy to me.
Well, that's not going to happen. He just signed with Miami
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did Anderson really ever beat anybody out for a starting spot?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 02-29-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Did Anderson really ever beat anybody out for a startign spot?
When you win because you are the best of the worst - that says something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Welcome to Houston Kevin Bentley. Hope you enjoy your visit and sign with us!
Old 02-29-2008   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Did Anderson really ever beat anybody out for a starting spot?
No but I think his potential was better. I would like to see the team add some real talent to alongside with DeMeco Ryans.
Old 02-29-2008   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I thought the Seattle Linebackers was the strength of their defense??
Old 02-29-2008   #9
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought the Seattle Linebackers was the strength of their defense??
It was, which is what Bentley's agent is trying to let people know. He was playing behind a good (and healthy LB corps), so I guess it's a bit unknown how he will perform as a full time starter. My initial thought is that I'm not too sold on him, but if we get him I'll give him a shot (although it seems like we're really trying to give Diles the starting spot).
Old 03-01-2008   #10
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Wish the Chronicle would have picked a better picture to run with the story of Bentley's visit:

Surprised they didn't caption it "Owned by Westbrook"
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #11
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanAddict View Post
Wish the Chronicle would have picked a better picture to run with the story of Bentley's visit:

Surprised they didn't caption it "Owned by Westbrook"
I thought the same thing. I don't know too much about the guy, but looking at that pic sure makes me not want him.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really ? Figures because Andersons natural/best position in the NFL is as a
3-4 OLB and that's what Miami runs. I hate to see him go, but I'm happy for him and hope he got himself a big payday. He's a good kid.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the bright side, next to Boulware, Bentley will look like he's all over the field. It's all about confusing the opponent.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
[hugely digressive post but heck it's the offseason, why be on topic?]

Best wishes to Charlie Anderson. I once played in a golf tournament with him. You can learn a lot about someone playing golf , and he is an exceedingly good sport.

It was Steve McKinney's tournament. Lots of players in it, players who really aren't golfers. So the rules of this tourney are the worse score you can write down is par, and then you pick up your ball. Keeps the pace of play up.

So Charlie is playing with sticks borrowed from Troy Evans. Sticks that were way too short for him. I was a last minute entry, and our team was comprised of:

me
a 12 year old boy who was shy and couldn't really play and gave up at the turn.
an older woman who dates some semi-famous sports guy I can't recall, and thought she was really good but was not, and
Charlie

If I am the A player on a team, that team is in a heap of troubles.

Well Charlie was a terribly good sport about our motley gang, and he tried his hardest. Unfortunately, he only had three balls with him and lost them right away. The older woman gives him a hot pink ball to play with, and from then on, he doesn't lose it.

At the turn, he buys some normal white balls, but continues to play with the pink ball because he can find it.

We start calling him Mr. Pink.

For the record, we did not end up in last. Mr. Pink couldn't not hit the ball worth a darn, but he made some birdy putts down the stretch.

We ended up finishing around in the middle of the pack. Given our play, that was a terrific result.

I've been rooting for Charlie, and was hoping he would excel as a Texan. I hope the best for him in his future.

/digression over.

I know that the standard refrain these days is that the Texans need cornerback, running back, left tackle, but boy howdy, I'd like to see DeMeco get some real help.
Old 03-01-2008   #15
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

is there alot of activity in Free agency during the weekend or is it gonna be pretty slow till monday?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you know its funny his last game was his best game as a Texan, should have known right then & there this was coming. 8 tackles & 2 sacks for -17 yds.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
So the rules of this tourney are the worse score you can write down is par, and then you pick up your ball.
Doesn't everyone do that?

Great story.
Old 03-01-2008   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
[hugely digressive post but heck it's the offseason, why be on topic?]

Best wishes to Charlie Anderson. I once played in a golf tournament with him. You can learn a lot about someone playing golf , and he is an exceedingly good sport.

It was Steve McKinney's tournament. Lots of players in it, players who really aren't golfers. So the rules of this tourney are the worse score you can write down is par, and then you pick up your ball. Keeps the pace of play up.

So Charlie is playing with sticks borrowed from Troy Evans. Sticks that were way too short for him. I was a last minute entry, and our team was comprised of:

me
a 12 year old boy who was shy and couldn't really play and gave up at the turn.
an older woman who dates some semi-famous sports guy I can't recall, and thought she was really good but was not, and
Charlie

If I am the A player on a team, that team is in a heap of troubles.

Well Charlie was a terribly good sport about our motley gang, and he tried his hardest. Unfortunately, he only had three balls with him and lost them right away. The older woman gives him a hot pink ball to play with, and from then on, he doesn't lose it.

At the turn, he buys some normal white balls, but continues to play with the pink ball because he can find it.

We start calling him Mr. Pink.

For the record, we did not end up in last. Mr. Pink couldn't not hit the ball worth a darn, but he made some birdy putts down the stretch.

We ended up finishing around in the middle of the pack. Given our play, that was a terrific result.

I've been rooting for Charlie, and was hoping he would excel as a Texan. I hope the best for him in his future.

/digression over.

I know that the standard refrain these days is that the Texans need cornerback, running back, left tackle, but boy howdy, I'd like to see DeMeco get some real help.
Steph this is the kind of stuff I love reading in a lot of your post. If I want all negative stuff I can easily get that from espin or some hack writer at the chron, but no where is the human side of these players and that some of them are just down right nice guys you would not mind having over for dinner in front of the family.

Very good story and great read, wish I could rep ya for it.
Old 03-01-2008   #19
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

Very good story and great read, wish I could rep ya for it.
Done

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008   #20
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if I'm late on this but ESPN says the Texans signed Bentley on 3 year, $4 million deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273625
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read