Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2008   #61
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans talking to Michael Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Turner is a very good back. His chance in the playoffs was against a very good defense that was over playing the run because his QB was playing with two knee injuries. I would love to see Turner here provided his contract isn't stupid. I think because the draft is full of good backs MT might not get the contract everyone thinks he will. If we could sign a CB in FA that could undoubtedly come in and start then I would be happy staying at 18 and taking which ever RB fell to us. However, there really isn't a starting CB available so signing MT could allow to trade down and still get a good CB while adding picks. RB and LT will require us to stay put - if they want a first round guy at those positions.
That's the key point. I'm guessing, and its only guessing, that Turner wants big money. I'd rather see us spend that money on someone who's going to step in and start at CB, then, like you said, draft a RB.

Speaking of DBs, if we could get Ty Law for a reasonable 1-2 year contract, I'd bring him in to further school Fred Bennett and Brandon Harrison and whoever we pick up in the draft.
For the record, I like the kid from Tennessee State - ain't nuttin' like speed, baby. But he's one of a handful of good DBs we could draft and develop with the help of a Ty Law and new coach Ray Rhodes.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #62
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
But what would make anyone think it would be a reasonable price? He's the HOTTEST RB in the free agent market. A crappy team is going to throw a boatload of cash at him. Adrian Peterson would look good in a Texans uni at a reasonable price. A lot of guys would.
LOL. So true.

Count me "out" on the Turner sweepstakes, by the way.

I'd rather have Chris Johnson out of ECU than Turner. I'd love to have Mendenhall...but I really think he goes Top 10, maybe even Top 5. Running backs are becoming THE commodity in the NFL right now.

And we don't have a coach who supports picking one up early in the draft. Darius Walker, for whatever reason, looked pretty darn OK in the limited action he saw. I'm afraid it might be the best we will get. I don't see us paying Turner mad money to come here. It'd cost us a pretty penny.

Jst say "No" to Turner.
Old 03-01-2008   #63
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From the Chronic fan blog:

Quote:
I was just told that Micheal Turner's agent, Bus Cook, stated that Turner just had rotator cuff surgery last week and will need 6 weeks of rehab. However, Houston, Chicago, and Tampa Bay are the three front runners for Turner's services (with the Texans in the lead). I just got off the phone with a colleague in the NFL.
Funny, because I was told by a "source" the exact same thing 2 days earlier. My source? Phil Bradley of the Sporting News.

Quote:
Turner's agent, Bus Cook, acknowledges his client had rotator cuff surgery recently and will go through six weeks of rehab. Generally, though, Turner has avoided the punishment he would have absorbed as a starter.

Nevertheless, teams are about to line up to meet him. The most obvious shoppers:

Houston. With one of the NFL's best young defenses, the Texans could use a power runner to milk the clock.

Chicago. If the Bears aren't confident in Cedric Benson, they could lure Turner back to his hometown.

Tampa Bay. Many wonder whether Cadillac Williams will ever be the same again after tearing his patellar tendon.

Dallas, Arizona, Seattle and Tennessee also could be in the hunt. In all likelihood, Turner will be paid starter's money and get starter's carries. For better or worse.
Old 03-01-2008   #64
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Has there been any mention of a visit here with Turner?

To me, this sounds like NOTHING but speculation. I've heard no mention of the Texans and Turner on ESPN or NFL Total Access.

Anyone else hear anything?
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #65
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
Anyone else hear anything?
The only thing I've heard from a legitimate source, is that Turner is visiting Atlanta.

Must be about the $$$. Why he would go to a team without a QB is puzzling.
Old 03-01-2008   #66
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Look at your avatar and read this statement and then understand my confusion.
Holy cow! Man that is one seriously offensive avatar. I wonder if he even fully understands the meaning of it, and if he does then.....well, wow, just wow....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #67
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Why did Atlanta even draft Jerious Norwood? They've been linked to Turner, and earlier in Mock Draft Season, they had been projected to take McFadden. Jerious Norwood is a seriously skilled back, and his YPC was very high last year, especially compared to Warrick Dunn if I remember correctly. They need to forget all this Turner/McFadden nonsense an make Norwood their horse. I think that guy is a stud.

EDIT: Okay, I just found his stats. In 2007, Jerious Norwood ran 102 times for 615 yards. That's SIX YARDS per carry. Dunn ran for just over 3 yards a carry. What the hell is wrong with the Falcons offensive coaches??

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2008   #68
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why did Atlanta even draft Jerious Norwood? They've been linked to Turner, and earlier in Mock Draft Season, they had been projected to take McFadden. Jerious Norwood is a seriously skilled back, and his YPC was very high last year, especially compared to Warrick Dunn if I remember correctly. They need to forget all this Turner/McFadden nonsense an make Norwood their horse. I think that guy is a stud.

EDIT: Okay, I just found his stats. In 2007, Jerious Norwood ran 102 times for 615 yards. That's SIX YARDS per carry. Dunn ran for just over 3 yards a carry. What the hell is wrong with the Falcons offensive coaches??
Norwood IS a beast.

Mock drafters are just putting McFadden there so he doesn't fall down the board.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #69
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Norwood IS a beast.

Mock drafters are just putting McFadden there so he doesn't fall down the board.
A lot of people are putting him there because of the whole he is a superstar in the waiting and that he star status would help lagging ticket sales in Atl.
Old 03-01-2008   #70
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Holy cow! Man that is one seriously offensive avatar. I wonder if he even fully understands the meaning of it, and if he does then.....well, wow, just wow....
On top of the very offensive avatar he calls other posters a jackass, going out of his way to offend others, and then gets offended by a poor choice of words that wasn't intended to offend anyone. Whatever, makes no sense to me.
Old 03-01-2008   #71
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark Schlereth on ESPN this week raved about Turner and said he was a Pro Bowl caliber back because of his burst & quickness yet also having the size to run the ball inside. Whatever opinion I may have had of Turner jumped with the former Broncos take on him.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #72
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Norwood could be a beast, but between Vick in his rookie year, and the unexplainable love for Dunn that the coaching staff showed last year, it's a little difficult to know for sure what he is. The 102 carries he had in '07 was the most he's had in his 2 year NFL career.

I don't think that Atlanta's going to take McFadden at #3. The last thing that the ATL needs is more potential character issues, but even if McFadden had Pacman's talent (actually, he could well have more) combined with Carr's goody-two-shoedness, I don't think they're going to go RB where they are. My bet is they will go with Ryan, and my thought is that they should with Chris Long, Jake Long, or Sedrick Ellis - at least one of those guys will be left.

Keep in mind that Norwood's actually a little bit smaller than Reggie Bush, so I don't think it's in the Falcons best interest to run him 20+ times a game, and he is clearly the Lightning component of a Thunder and Lightning RB Tandem. Turner might be that guy, but my guess is they end up with another back via either FA or the draft to keep Norwood healthy and rested.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #73
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see the Falcons signing Turner and having a Turner/Norwood combo.

I see ATL taking whoever they have rated the highest at who's available: Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Jake Long, Matt Ryan

And in my mind they should have some talented OL and QB available at their two 2nd rd picks. They need a franchise QB but I think they also would like to rebuild through the trenches- from the inside out. DL, OL, and QB w/ their 1st 3 picks is my guess.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #74
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

McFadden & Norwood have the same strengths, then run the same way.

It would be pointless for them to draft McFadden unless they were looking to trade Norwood.

They could look at a bigger back later in the draft though to compliment Norwood.
Old 03-01-2008   #75
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I see ATL taking whoever they have rated the highest at who's available: Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Jake Long, Matt Ryan

And in my mind they should have some talented OL and QB available at their two 2nd rd picks. They need a franchise QB but I think they also would like to rebuild through the trenches- from the inside out. DL, OL, and QB w/ their 1st 3 picks is my guess.
Agree, with Smith as HC they'll build their O/DL. I'm not that enamored w/ Turner, but I've only seen him in a few games. However, the more holes we can fill w/ FAs the easier it is to go BPA in the draft. Turner may be the one guy we sink a little extra cash in this off-season. I'm a little concerned he's have surgery though.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #76
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Turner makes more sense for ATL then call me "Daddy" McFadden. I don't think they want anymore negative publicity. They'll take a solid citizen D/OL.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #77
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I could see them going Ellis/Dorsey, then Henne, then best OT available.

Maybe throw in a bigger RB after that if they dont land Turner.
Old 03-01-2008   #78
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I going to side with the "Turner is going to be to expensive" crowd on this one.

There are tons of RBs in this years draft, we can get a fairly decent one in the 3rd round to compliment the backs we already have.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #79
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think we ever really had a chance at turner
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #80
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

2004 - San Diego Chargers
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 1 Eli Manning QB Mississippi
2 35 Igor Olshansky DE Oregon
3 65 Nate Kaeding K Iowa
3 66 Nick Hardwick C Purdue
4 98 Shaun Phillips LB Purdue
5 133 Dave Ball DE UCLA
5 154 Michael Turner RB Northern Illinois
6 169 Ryan Krause TE Nebraska-Omaha
7 204 Ryon Bingham DT Nebraska
7 209 Shane Olivea T Ohio State
7 254 Carlos Joseph -- Miami (Fla.)

Who would have thought a little 5th round pick would be so valuable .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read