Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2008   #81
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Davis re-signs

Awesome and he says he wants to be A Texan for Life along with Kalu
Old 02-28-2008   #82
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Great news. He was definitely one of the players I was hoping the Texans would lock up...
Old 02-28-2008   #83
Polo

Glad the Texans kept him, but honestly I don't know whether or not they overpaid him...

Giving Andre his money is a good thing...Not only for him, but also in our pursuit of future free agents that are looking for a team that will look out for them...
Old 02-28-2008   #84
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Looking at the figures on http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html

Getting $4million a year would make him one of the top 10 paid players on the roster.... Or am I totally misunderstanding the contract?
Yeah. Kinda. I thought about this a little bit after reading your post. It really makes a difference in how much of a bonus he received which will thereby lower his base salary. He's not making 4 million per year in an annual salary (although I don't know that for sure. Details have been disclosed as far as I'm concerned.). He won't be in the top ten with annual salaries. I don't think? I don't know for sure but that's my thinking with what little I know.
Old 02-28-2008   #85
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

We over spent for this Guy 4 years 16 million for a guy that we picked up off the scrap heap.
Old 02-28-2008   #86
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
We over spent for this Guy 4 years 16 million for a guy that we picked up off the scrap heap.
Yeah but then again, we didn't pay the guy at all for the season he had last year. Balances out, imo.
Old 02-29-2008   #87
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget the 16M, tfhe meaningful number is 8M because that's the guaranteed
amount and I dunno there Mr. GM Rick ? That's a lot of coin for a backup WR
who will be 30 next year ? I dunno ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2008   #88
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Forget the 16M, tfhe meaningful number is 8M because that's the guaranteed
amount and I dunno there Mr. GM Rick ? That's a lot of coin for a backup WR
who will be 30 next year ? I dunno ?
Well we're due some luck for sure. The last time we did this we lost Dominic Davis-Williams on his first snap in summer camp. I have a great deal of trouble with the twent first century numbers also...At least we didn't sign Maddox to a 50 million dollar deal. We don't have a sixty million dollar guard yet.

As long as he doesn't get hurt...it was a good deal.
Old 02-29-2008   #89
Wolfiegrrl
Wonder Woman

Rep Power: 4408 Wolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respectedWolfiegrrl is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via MSN to Wolfiegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfiegrrl

I don't feel that the Texans overpaid on this one. Davis is a clean cut guy, doesn't get into trouble, works hard, is a game changer on special teams, and can fill in when our #1 WR is out for half the year. I really think the $8 million guaranteed money was to ensure he would stay here. Out of a 4 year $16 million deal... that makes his annual salary about $2million. Wise choice if you ask me.
Wolfiegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #90
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind what he's going to get paid. As long as he doesn't Shaun Alexander now that he's "gettin paid".
Old 02-29-2008   #91
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Andre was offered 5MM/year from Oakland, but wanted to stay in Houston!!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #92
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering Gage got 4 yrs and 16 Mil w/ the Titans, the deal was pretty good.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #93
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Ernest Wilford:
6-4 218 29
2007 - 45 Rec 518 Yds 11.5 Avg 3 TD
Contract - 4 yrs, $13 million, $6 million guaranteed
Reported Contract

Jerry Porter
6-2 220 29
2007 - 44 Rec 705 Yds 16 Avg 6 TD
Contract - 6 yrs, $30 million, $10 million guaranteed
Reported Contract

Justin Gage
6-4 212 27
2007 - 55 Rec 755 Yds 13.6 Avg 2 TD
Contract - 4 yrs, $14 million, $6.5 million guaranteed
Reported Contract

Andre Davis
6-1 195 28
2007 - 33 Rec 583 Yds 17.7 Avg 3 TD
Contract - 4 yrs, $16 million, $8 million guaranteed

Add to that the fact that Bernard Berrian is hoping to sign a deal that pays him $24.5 million in the first 3 years of the contract. Put in perspective, the deal doesn't seem to be too bad. It looks like it is at least reflecting near market value.

Last edited by TexanAddict; 02-29-2008 at 05:59 PM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #94
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to add to my last post:

Bernard Berrian
6-1 185 27
2007 - 71 Rec 951 Yds 13.4 Avg 5 TD
Contract - 6 yrs, $42 million, $16 million guaranteed
Reported Contract

Donte Stallworth
6-0 200 27
2007 - 46 Rec 697 Yds 15.2 Avg 3 TD
Contract - 7 yrs, $35 million, $10 million guaranteed
Reported Contract

Last edited by TexanAddict; 03-01-2008 at 09:23 PM.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #95
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It's good AD is staying with us. Very good. At least this is something we all can agree on.

I am looking forward to some more kickoff returns and long passes for TDs next year from him. Good show, Texans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #96
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Alright AD.
Old 03-01-2008   #97
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

I like Davis....but yes we overpaid......

IMO its more the playcalling that gave him the yards. When the better Andre went down, Kevin Walter had produced nicely and had that MONSTER game w/ 160 yards.........

NO ONE SAW THAT COMING.

So Andre had two KR for TD against a SECOND STRING Jaguar team, The catch against the titans. And i do remember a one handed grab somewhere.

Pair that with a mere 500 yards and 3td's and this JUSTIFIES a 8 mil in garaunteed???????????

This is ALMOST as bad as that REEVES deal. Gettin angy just thinkin about that one.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #98
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I like Davis....but yes we overpaid......

IMO its more the playcalling that gave him the yards. When the better Andre went down, Kevin Walter had produced nicely and had that MONSTER game w/ 160 yards.........

NO ONE SAW THAT COMING.

So Andre had two KR for TD against a SECOND STRING Jaguar team, The catch against the titans. And i do remember a one handed grab somewhere.

Pair that with a mere 500 yards and 3td's and this JUSTIFIES a 8 mil in garaunteed???????????

This is ALMOST as bad as that REEVES deal. Gettin angy just thinkin about that one.
How can you say we overpaid for Davis when Berrian got 16M guaranteed, and Stallworth got 10M? I think we are seeing the market for WRs getting set higher then we intially thought it would.

Also there is no point getting worked up over the Reeves contract till we know the guaranteed amount.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #99
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
How can you say we overpaid for Davis when Berrian got 16M guaranteed, and Stallworth got 10M? I think we are seeing the market for WRs getting set higher then we intially thought it would.

Also there is no point getting worked up over the Reeves contract till we know the guaranteed amount.

Agreed on the reeves thing. I didnt take in account the garaunteed.

But i would like to think BOTH Berrian and Stallworth are a class above Davis......hence the more money.
RipTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008   #100
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think AD is worth the money.

Not my money, when I have to pay rent, buy gas and food, but he is certainly worth someone else's money.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read