Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-28-2008   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Walterfootball 2/28 Mock

Just to get through the boredom right now

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Quote:
Houston Texans: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
The Texans have done everything in their power to take down the Colts ever since they came into the NFL, and a top-notch corner would certainly help, as they don't really have anything beyond Dunta Robinson, who may actually miss the 2008 season in the wake of the torn ACL and hamstring he suffered in late December.

Derrick Harvey and Jonathan Stewart are options here, but Houston's secondary is such a mess I don't see how they pass up on one of the top corners in this draft
Round 3

Quote:
Houston Texans: Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech
Darius Walker has been solid coming out of the backfield, and Ahman Green and Ron Dayne are both on the roster, but are any of them really the guy whom Houston can ride into the playoffs? The Texans need to address the running back situation, especially considering the plethora of talent at the position in this class

Round 4

Quote:
Houston Texans: Ezra Butler, OLB, Nevada
More defense to help stop the Colts. Both of Houston's strongside linebackers, Danny Clark and Charlie Anderson, are free agents this offseason.
Old 02-28-2008   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walterfootball 2/28 Mock

Quote:
and a top-notch corner would certainly help, as they don't really have anything beyond Dunta Robinson, who may actually miss the 2008 season in the wake of the torn ACL and hamstring he suffered in late December.
i got as far as there

dont like the tashard choice*

*unbelievably cheesy so i had to do it.. seriously though i dont like that pick
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Brandon Flowers- No problem with this pick from me.
3. Tashard Choice- Sucks JUST missing out on both Rice and Forte. I used to be high on Choice as our 3rd/4th rounder but am not anymore- I don't think he would warrant this pick AND be that much better than who we have on the roster. I would seriously consider Roy Schuening-G or Kevin Smith if we want a RB.
4. Ezra Butler- If the Texans like him for OLB, I'm not going to argue with them. but some guys I see that could also help us out are Steve Justice- C, Charles Godfrey- CB/FS (good chance they don't last till the 4th, imo)
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #4
austintexanite
All Pro

I would rather have Talib than Flowers.
Old 02-28-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I would rather have Talib than Flowers.
Brandon Flowers does have KR/PR abilities too. Kubiak and his love of dual threats. The Texans could possibly have Flowers rated higher than Talib at this point.
Old 02-28-2008   #6
kiwitexansfan
Let's Mock!!!!!

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on positions I am happy with the selections.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #7
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
3. Tashard Choice- Sucks JUST missing out on both Rice and Forte. I used to be high on Choice as our 3rd/4th rounder but am not anymore- I don't think he would warrant this pick AND be that much better than who we have on the roster. I would seriously consider Roy Schuening-G or Kevin Smith if we want a RB.
I liked this guy from what I saw from the Senior bowl - what has changed your opinion on him? Bad combine?
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
I liked this guy from what I saw from the Senior bowl - what has changed your opinion on him? Bad combine?
A little of that a little from being more impressed with other backs. I really like Choice's vision. He actually performed decently at the Combine in my opinion. I like that he's a little larger than most of the backs but not near as fast as any of the others. He did well in the vertical jump (showing explosion) and the 3-cone drill. The 40-time was expected by most but not me... I though people were underating his 'lack of speed' and he'd run a faster time. He came in pretty slow (as expected by everyone).

I think he could be a decent back on our team and in our system, other don't though. The main reason is because I think we will have other options in the 3rd round that will do more for the team than Choice at that spot. I would support his pick a little later on (I was initially thinking 3rd/4th round while most others were thinking 4th/5th rd... I have jumped to their view point)
Old 02-28-2008   #9
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Still just think that's high for Flowers even though he's well suited to what we seem to want out CBs to do.

Campbell would still be there, I think Talib is a more well rounded CB, I'd be okay with Stewart, I wonder if Brohm is still there with Carolina on the clock with both T positions good that's who they go with IMO, meaning Williams could fall to us.

I think Flowers will be a good pro in the right system. If that is who we are targeting then we better trade back.

Does anyone else see Az going Mendenhall?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I definitely see that as a possibility. I think they really want a home run threat there and a speedy guy- they could be eyeing RB's like Chris Johnson or Jammal Charles in the 2nd...maybe a Felix Jones (all may have to include some sort of trade down/trade up)

If don't go RB in the first, I could see them taking Antoine Cason. Their most likely moving Rolle to FS where he's better and their secondary isn't that great to begin with so the addition of instate man Mr. Cason could be a perfect fit and really help out their defense.

Their secondary would actually be pretty decent if they went that route: Roderick Hood and Antoine Cason at CB, Adrian Wilson at SS, and Antrel Rolle at FS. And then pick up a speedster at RB in the 2nd round.
Old 02-28-2008   #11
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
A little of that a little from being more impressed with other backs. I really like Choice's vision. He actually performed decently at the Combine in my opinion. I like that he's a little larger than most of the backs but not near as fast as any of the others. He did well in the vertical jump (showing explosion) and the 3-cone drill. The 40-time was expected by most but not me... I though people were underating his 'lack of speed' and he'd run a faster time. He came in pretty slow (as expected by everyone).

I think he could be a decent back on our team and in our system, other don't though. The main reason is because I think we will have other options in the 3rd round that will do more for the team than Choice at that spot. I would support his pick a little later on (I was initially thinking 3rd/4th round while most others were thinking 4th/5th rd... I have jumped to their view point)
Fair enough.
I liked the way he hit on contact and kept on driving his legs, seemed like a very aggressive player. To be honest I haven't paid much attention to Choice in the combine, been flicking through to where Mendenhall and Stewart were on. I have a lot of man love for these guys at the moment - would prefer them over McFadden if all three were available.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
That's what I have happeneing in my mock.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #13
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As a strength and conditioning coach I can tell you that if a guy has a big VJ then there is speed potential there. I would also venture his 10 and 20 yd splits are pretty good - which I would want in my RB. I thought Choice looked good in the Senior Bowl, but there are others I like as well. If we got a stud OL or DB in rd1 and filled another need in 3 and got Choice in the wth I would definitely be happy with that. I would also like them to look at Kevin Smith. I would rather have SMith in the 3rd if we were picking a RB there.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
As a strength and conditioning coach I can tell you that if a guy has a big VJ then there is speed potential there. I would also venture his 10 and 20 yd splits are pretty good - which I would want in my RB. I thought Choice looked good in the Senior Bowl, but there are others I like as well. If we got a stud OL or DB in rd1 and filled another need in 3 and got Choice in the wth I would definitely be happy with that. I would also like them to look at Kevin Smith. I would rather have SMith in the 3rd if we were picking a RB there.
Well I like your take...If Flowers is their choice....I would hope they would try to move the eighteen and pick up the extra picks. I think their is more than a fair chance that he'll be there in the second. Coach endorces the low forty I can't fight that. There is no doubt that the guy will hold the point ...just like Robinson, on run support. I'm not a coach but I've watched him do it. But know going in... with the forty, you're giving something up. If we're getting Petie Fagins on 'roids... I would hope they'd move down.

I think Kevin Smith would be more than just functional behind our o-line. I think he'd be great.
Old 02-29-2008   #15
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

TP,

My first choices in the draft are Williams at OT, 3rd best available DB, and I would love Smith in the 4th. I might even take SMith in the the 3rd. I am REALLY hopeful that Gibbs loves Zuttah from Rutgers and thinks he can make him a player then maybe we go something like this:

1: Best available DB
3: Kevin SMith
4: Marcus Harrison (hopefully name is right - space eating DT from Ark) or a good S if available.
5: Speed rusher - would love Dingle from WVU
6: Zuttah
7: Would do a back flip if Dixon was here due to knee injury

I do have a feeling that something big is going to happen for us in FA, don't know why just a feeling. I also think we may be active in the trade department.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read