Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2008   #61
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: C C Brown Tendered as a Second Rounder

Quote:
With the second-round tender, Brown is now guaranteed a $1.4 million base salary from Houston for the 2008 season.
I don't think this is a guaranteed contract. Brown has to make the opening day roster to collect the money.
Old 02-28-2008   #62
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I don't think that CC's all that bad. I think he's gotten a bad rap.

The defensive backfield as a unit has been undermanned for a long time. Not to mention the offense keeps them on the field to long when they can't eat up clock with the run. It's been hard to make a determination which guys are studs and which guys are duds.

I guess they think CC's one of the studs. I won't argue.

Apparently they did something right when they benched Faggins for Demps. Just get a CB in the draft and we're good.
I dont think that statement is very accurate this past season. The offense didnt have too much trouble moving the chains and keeping the D off the field. Our secondary was the primary culprit this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think this is a guaranteed contract. Brown has to make the opening day roster to collect the money.
But if he makes the roster it is all gauranteed, and he shouldnt have too much trouble making the roster.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #63
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Now let's go get Madieu Williams or Gibril Wilson... I'd gladly let Demps go if we can get one of these two guys, particularly Williams who should come cheaper and has very strong cover skills.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #64
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Now let's go get Madieu Williams or Gibril Wilson... I'd gladly let Demps go if we can get one of these two guys, particularly Williams who should come cheaper and has very strong cover skills.
McCree got cut today.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I really believe that all the Texans are saying that they genuinely want CC back, and he fits in their plans for the immediate future - not let's sign him and trade him for a post-second round pick.

I don't like the idea of a 4th (or even 5th?) round pick as a sign and trade deal at all. At worst, CC is quality depth in the secondary. At a more realistic level, he's a potential starter, familiar with multiple positions, a leader, and the kind of guy I want on the field and in the locker room.

If you're telling me that you can feel comfortable replacing that with a 4th round pick (or even 5th?), fine, I'll tell you that I'm not. To top it all off, it's not like we have an abundance of talent (or even bodies) at the position. If we lose CC, we'll have to sign/draft one more safety that will need to be capable of playing right away. Even if Harrison comes on next year (a gamble), CC's still going to be spending plenty time on the field assuming he's here. This is in contrast to Andre Davis where if you lose him (which I really hope we don't), you realistically figure that between AJ, Walters and JJ, it's unlikely anyone you add gets on the field much anyway.
I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder. Or maybe moving Boulaware or Harrison there. Glenn Earl is not out of picture either. Maybe after that type of move the two 4ths we would have could be used to move into the 2nd round. I know we could use another 2. Remember that Kubes has never voiced the SS as a need area that I'm aware of.
Old 02-28-2008   #66
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder.
I have a problem with anyone who uses this argument. Who cares what round he was drafted in? Does it mean that replacing DeMeco with a first round LBer is an upgrade? H*** no. Is putting the first rounder Brady Quinn in for seventh (I don't know, was it a sixth?) rounder Derek Anderson a huge upgrade? It doesn't MATTER what round a player was drafted after he starts contributing for the team. All that matters is if he is a productive player for the team, not, oh, well, we drafted him in this position, so it's an upgrade if we go get this player. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth, but no one cares at this point. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first, but again, no one cares too much, the Saints just want him to produce, even if it's not at a "first round level"
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #67
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I have a problem with anyone who uses this argument. Who cares what round he was drafted in? Does it mean that replacing DeMeco with a first round LBer is an upgrade? H*** no. Is putting the first rounder Brady Quinn in for seventh (I don't know, was it a sixth?) rounder Derek Anderson a huge upgrade? It doesn't MATTER what round a player was drafted after he starts contributing for the team. All that matters is if he is a productive player for the team, not, oh, well, we drafted him in this position, so it's an upgrade if we go get this player. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth, but no one cares at this point. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first, but again, no one cares too much, the Saints just want him to produce, even if it's not at a "first round level"
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. They want to go with bigger safties, then they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than athelticism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are. Stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are. They can't bang all of the holes this offeason. Gives them one or two warm bodies befor they are on the board in the draft. Paying mediocre second round money is not a good thing.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-28-2008 at 05:10 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #68
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. they want to go with bigger safties they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than atheltism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are.
It is worth mentioning that we won both of those games. However, I have been waving that flag for a FS for the last three years as well.
Old 02-28-2008   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Champion Texan asked if I was comfortable replacing CC with 4 or 5 round guy. I pointed out Brown was a 6 and developed into a starter. So why could not a higher round guy replace him? Valid point imo.
Old 02-28-2008   #70
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven... With BTW a minor seprratedted shoulder he received in the first quarter. Stuff like your post justs makes me shake my head. One thing to love our guys...but com'on rose fretilizer is still rose fertilizer. They want to go with bigger safties, then they are going to have to upgrade the LBs. Demps did a prety fair job in relief, but it was more savie than atheltism. Earl and Brown have been given more than a fair chance. They are what they are. Stop gap mediocre tallents holding down the fort untill the Team can upgrade the positions. They've hit their apex. They got nothing left to show. They are what they are.
I was only pointing out that a fourth rounder for Brown was not a plus for the Texans, unless you really think that we can strike gold in the fourth yet again. Myself, I don't think that in the fourth we can find a safety that can step in and take the starting job from CC, so it wouldn't be a super trade to unload CC for a fourth rounder soley on the fact that he was drafted in the sixth round.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #71
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care what round they are...the Texans currently have no FS or OLB that can cover ground. Go stick the Saints tape back in and watch Colston shread the back seven....then go stick the Denver game and Watch Marshall shread the back seven...

well to be fair marshall got most of his catches on short routes that von was just playing off because he was overmatched

the secondary(ex von) actually played well that game- especially demps and bennett
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #72
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Champion Texan asked if I was comfortable replacing CC with 4 or 5 round guy. I pointed out Brown was a 6 and developed into a starter. So why could not a higher round guy replace him? Valid point imo.
I'm sure that the Patriots would like to replace Tom Brady with David Carr because he was drafted higher.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #73
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Brown but I am very ok with the right 4th rounder replacing a 6th rounder. Or maybe moving Boulaware or Harrison there. Glenn Earl is not out of picture either. Maybe after that type of move the two 4ths we would have could be used to move into the 2nd round. I know we could use another 2. Remember that Kubes has never voiced the SS as a need area that I'm aware of.
The problem is that you have no idea who is going to be around in the 4th round to say you would be happy with that. Fine if he gets beat in camp and is then subsiquently cut it is only $1.4 mil lost in the grand scheme of things it is not that much money. So why not sign him and see if anyone emerges that can beat him out for either the SS or FS. Since FA has not commenced and you are not sure if you can upgrade the position there because of what individuals want in terms of contracts and this includes Demps as well.
Old 02-28-2008   #74
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think cc brown is terrible. Nothing has changed that opinion. I feel like he is the worst nfl starter in the league at his position. I don't see him having any value. I am personally going to be overjoyed the day we replace him.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #75
Polo

I like C.C.

Did someone say McCree got cut ?
Old 02-29-2008   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm sure that the Patriots would like to replace Tom Brady with David Carr because he was drafted higher.
You are totally missing my point. There are several possible replacements for CC and if we got a 4th round pick that is extra. Make comparison all you want and I can find an opposite to cite. I can name several 4th round selections much better than Brown. That is not the point.
Old 02-29-2008   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The problem is that you have no idea who is going to be around in the 4th round to say you would be happy with that. Fine if he gets beat in camp and is then subsiquently cut it is only $1.4 mil lost in the grand scheme of things it is not that much money. So why not sign him and see if anyone emerges that can beat him out for either the SS or FS. Since FA has not commenced and you are not sure if you can upgrade the position there because of what individuals want in terms of contracts and this includes Demps as well.
Just to debate you and please remember that I said I was ok with Brown, there will be several selections at our 4th round spot I would be ok with. As far as safeties on the team we have an idea what they can do and imo only Earl if signed and maybeBrandon Harrison have a shot at beating out Brown. Also, I did mention combining the to 4ths we would then have to move up in draft.
Old 02-29-2008   #78
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Out of all the positions, safety is by far the hardest to judge on TV. Kubiak praised CC alot last year so he must be doing something right.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #79
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

tendering CC Brown 2nd rd. level says everything you need to know how Kubiac/Smith feel about CC's value going forward. unsure about Glenn Earl/Will Demps future as Texans. would really like to see what Harrison could do @ FS

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #80
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68426 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i think cc brown is terrible. Nothing has changed that opinion. I feel like he is the worst nfl starter in the league at his position. I don't see him having any value. I am personally going to be overjoyed the day we replace him.
Mark it. 1:26 PM Friday 2/29. Leap Year.

I agree.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read