Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-28-2008   #41
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: C C Brown Tendered as a Second Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
It's one of those deals where he's worth more than a 6th but less than a 2nd and in his case, there's nothing in-between in terms of RFA tenders.

Low tender is $927k, which could have been low enough to attract another team with a 6th to spare. But even though they have first right of refusal I guess the Texans decided to spend an extra 500k that they would probably have had to spend anyway in a counter-offer situation to keep him off the market.

There's a good chance Demps is gone so I guess they wanted to make sure they kept at least one of their experienced safeties in the house. $1.4 isn't crazy money - even for C.C - as long as it remains a one year deal at that price.
Yeah, C.C is in that no mans land, where a 6th is terrible but next to no one will give a 2nd. Unless its Miami, Parcells loved him in the draft.
Old 02-28-2008   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I wrong in thinking that Texans can sign CC then trade him for less than a second? if so, a team may be willing to offer a 4th.
Old 02-28-2008   #43
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that Texans can sign CC then trade him for less than a second? if so, a team may be willing to offer a 4th.
Something like that. We can agree with team X that instead of their 2nd round pick they could give us their fourth. They then could sign him to an offer sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #44
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Something like that. We can agree with team X that instead of their 2nd round pick they could give us their fourth. They then could sign him to an offer sheet.
I'd take a 4th for him in a heartbeat. Maybe even a 5th.
Old 02-28-2008   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Then if we lose Demps who are the starting Safeties?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #46
austintexanite
All Pro

I thought CC played solid in the second half of the season. I guess it's no coincidence that is when Demps started getting into the lineup as well, anyway, I do hear the Raiders are shopping Huff around. Maybe we could trade then straight up?? (hopeful, but severely doubt it.)
Old 02-28-2008   #47
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I think this move is consistent with the basic strategy of the Texans - You can't just let a player go, unless you know how you are going to replace him. I agree that a second rounder seems a little steep for CC, but if he goes we will have to find a way to replace a three year starter. A second round pick puts you in a situation where you can find such a player.

Personally, I think there is a lot to be said for maintaining a continuity from one year to the next. CC isn't the best player in our secondary, but he isn't the biggest problem either. He now has experience in our system at both safety positions, is considered a leader on the team and is a good character guy - why let this guy go? Maybe I am optimistic, but I think if we can keep Demps, shore up the other CB position with a solid starter and develop at least one of the safety picks from last year who missed the entire season, the backfield should be able to hold up.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #48
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Joker! Where you been, dude?
I've still been around, just not posting as much.
Old 02-28-2008   #49
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And do what with it? What are we going to replace CC with, a 4th or 5th round S, or in FA for more $$? I say keep him and use the $$ somewhere else.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
And do what with it? What are we going to replace CC with, a 4th or 5th round S, or in FA for more $$? I say keep him and use the $$ somewhere else.
How about Josh Barrett in 4th?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=15066or Tom Zbikowski that might be there in 4th?http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=15939
Old 02-28-2008   #51
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really believe that all the Texans are saying that they genuinely want CC back, and he fits in their plans for the immediate future - not let's sign him and trade him for a post-second round pick.

I don't like the idea of a 4th (or even 5th?) round pick as a sign and trade deal at all. At worst, CC is quality depth in the secondary. At a more realistic level, he's a potential starter, familiar with multiple positions, a leader, and the kind of guy I want on the field and in the locker room.

If you're telling me that you can feel comfortable replacing that with a 4th round pick (or even 5th?), fine, I'll tell you that I'm not. To top it all off, it's not like we have an abundance of talent (or even bodies) at the position. If we lose CC, we'll have to sign/draft one more safety that will need to be capable of playing right away. Even if Harrison comes on next year (a gamble), CC's still going to be spending plenty time on the field assuming he's here. This is in contrast to Andre Davis where if you lose him (which I really hope we don't), you realistically figure that between AJ, Walters and JJ, it's unlikely anyone you add gets on the field much anyway.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #52
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Then if we lose Demps who are the starting Safeties?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Why are y'all acting like he's irreplaceable? I guess I don't understand the love for mediocrity (Dayne, CC, Kalu, Maddox, etc). We have Earl, Harrison, Mitchell, etc to replace him if the draft was unable to fill the spot.

IMO, we know what CC can do which is average at best. If I were given the chance to get something in return for an average player, I would do it.

This is all moot anyways because I highly doubt any team would persue CC anyways.

Old 02-28-2008   #53
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why are y'all acting like he's irreplaceable? I guess I don't understand the love for mediocrity (Dayne, CC, Kalu, Maddox, etc). We have Earl, Harrison, Mitchell, etc to replace him if the draft was unable to fill the spot.

IMO, we know what CC can do which is average at best. If I were given the chance to get something in return for an average player, I would do it.

This is all moot anyways because I highly doubt any team would persue CC anyways.

Earl = WORSE then CC

Harrison = zero expeirence

Mitchell = even less expeirence then Harrison

Von = got replaced by Demps

Not only do I think CC is better then you give him credit for, it's obvious that the team does as well.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #54
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How about Josh Barrett in 4th?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=15066or Tom Zbikowski that might be there in 4th?http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=15939
After his combine, I doubt Barrett lasts through the 2nd round.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #55
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
After his combine, I doubt Barrett lasts through the 2nd round.
I dunno about that. He didn't exactly have the best senior year when he was healthy, plus he is coming off a knee injury.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #56
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I dunno about that. He didn't exactly have the best senior year when he was healthy, plus he is coming off a knee injury.
The guy showed what he could do his junior year.

Then started off bad his senior year, so they benched him a little bit, and he finished strong before missing the last two games.
Old 02-28-2008   #57
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The guy showed what he could do his junior year.

Then started off bad his senior year, so they benched him a little bit, and he finished strong before missing the last two games.
That's true, we'll see. The lack of quality in the safeties this year could push him up too.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #58
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He is not irreplaceable, but from a cost/value standpoint you don't replace him w/o a better option which none of those guys you named represent.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #59
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
That's true, we'll see. The lack of quality in the safeties this year could push him up too.
Agreed.
Old 02-28-2008   #60
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that CC's all that bad. I think he's gotten a bad rap.

The defensive backfield as a unit has been undermanned for a long time. Not to mention the offense keeps them on the field to long when they can't eat up clock with the run. It's been hard to make a determination which guys are studs and which guys are duds.

I guess they think CC's one of the studs. I won't argue.

Apparently they did something right when they benched Faggins for Demps. Just get a CB in the draft and we're good.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read