Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Depth... and then what

BuffSoldier

Veteran
When I think about the Houston Texans on offense and on defense, I see a pretty solid, play-makeing team. The only remaining need IMO is depth, maybe another WR or OL but thats it.

The main 2 things on my mind are depth and experience. Alot of people talk down on Gaffney and Bradford, but I see alot of potential and Gaffney and Bradford is always a deep threat. They are both good. The reason the stats dont show it is because alot of times Carr would check down to DD. IF you watch any of the games that DD started in you would agree that he caught alot of passes. Carr basically looked at AJ then DD. He rarely checked his 2nd or 3rd receiver.

I think in a few years, the Texans will be one of the top NFL teams.

I think the team is poised for greatness with the players assembled.

We could use another top receiver but Bradford could be that guy if he would (and hopefully he has turned the corner) start catching the easy ones; and Gaffney will be even more solid as a slot receiver this season.

This is the year that Carr goes in comfortable in the knowledge his line is improved, he has a rookie-of-the-year running back with two in the stable, beefed up tightends, and his experience will all add to the cake rising this year.

I am looking forward to the celebration and blowing out the candles on a long awaited wish..........or I will, like the old Joe Ely song, keep wishin'.

I tend to agree for the most part. AJ was clearly the first option, and then DD the second. He simply MUST improve his reads and progressions for Carr and this team to take the next step. An improved line, a more experienced WR corp, along with the natural development of Carr should help in this area this year. If not, we are in for a long year. As to Bradford, I don't see him as a #2 WR, even if his hands improve, and it's mostly mental imo.

I think Texansbacker might have touched on something...the TE factor. Everybody knows that AJ is the #1 option...but the deal with a multiple TE sets is that in most cases one of the TEs is in reality a slot receiver in a 3point stance and the other is a safety valve.
I agree that I am not sold on Bradford (unless you just need him on the skinny post for the 60yrd bomb), but I think Gaff is quietly coming into his own as a solid #2 receiver. He has fantastic hands, good route runner, and importantly he is willing to make the touch catch over the middle for 7-10yrds.

I think WR is the position that is going to make or break us this year.
We improved our DB and LB in the draft,
D-line improved thru Free Agency and players getting healthy
O-line same as D-line, plus additional year of experience,
TE-got good solid players, RB- DD is great, with Hollings the chance to be good also.

but WR - we have one legit weapons (with a dropped ball problem), a speedster that disappears games at a time, a 3rd year receiver whoy is suppose to have his break out year for the 2nd year in a row, and a whole list of rookies and undrafted free agents.

I would love to see some veteran come available after being released from his team on June 1, and then the Texans make a run at him. Does anyone heard of any WR that might be released on June 1.

Gaffney and Bradford are veterans. If another vet came in they would have to learn the system. Their chemistry would not be as good with DC.

i agree that we're still a little thin in the depth department, but that's to be expected with a 3rd year franchise. the areas needing quality depth IMO are cornerback, linebacker, & offensive tackle. we've got an array of capable receivers, which one steps up and becomes a great #2 is yet to be seen & of the most importance ... behind aj there's gaffney, bradford, armstrong, and the multiple signings from this offseason. one of em has to make an impact.

i think our offense all comes down to carr though. is he still gun shy? has he been training on finding the 2nd or 3rd option? if he works, our entire offense is going to work IMO.

Scooter said:
...we've got an array of capable receivers, which one steps up and becomes a great #2 is yet to be seen & of the most importance ... behind aj there's gaffney, bradford, armstrong, and the multiple signings from this offseason. one of em has to make an impact.

i think our offense all comes down to carr though. is he still gun shy? has he been training on finding the 2nd or 3rd option? if he works, our entire offense is going to work IMO.

Scooter...I think you are dead on about Carr; Let's face it, everbody in that is playing in the NFL at WR can catch if the ball is where it needs to be, albeit some ALOT better than others.
Let me throw this one out to you...When is the last time Farve had a big time receiver...and how does the Pats WR corps stack up to the rest of the league? Those teams have outstanding QBs and systems that spread the ball around to everybody and it looks like it's pretty effective.

J-Man said:
Scooter...I think you are dead on about Carr; Let's face it, everbody in that is playing in the NFL at WR can catch if the ball is where it needs to be, albeit some ALOT better than others.
Let me throw this one out to you...When is the last time Farve had a big time receiver...and how does the Pats WR corps stack up to the rest of the league? Those teams have outstanding QBs and systems that spread the ball around to everybody and it looks like it's pretty effective.

That is what Ive been talking about. I think that after that 1st season where Carr got pulvorized, he was a little timid. Last year he wouldnt look past his 1st option before checking down to DD. I have taped games and while watching the games I see that alot of the times, Gaffney or Billy Miller were open. It was just Carr would stare at AJ for 2 seconds then dump it to DD. If Carr matures more in the offense and learns to check his 2nd and 3rd options, our receiving core would seem a whole lot better.

Most of you dont know this but in 2002 most mocks had Gaffney going in the 1st round and I actually think he played better his 1st year in the league. Thats because Carr didnt have a star receiver to stare down.

2002 mock draft
another
last one

This should be the year that we see some of the returns on our investment in Carr. The game should have "slowed down" enough for him and his supporting cast is pretty well firmed up. The perception of the game slowing down for the QB is what makes them actually start preforming at high levels... ie. they can see the field and recognize the 2nd or 3rd option on a pass play in enough time to execute.

As for Gaff...I stated on another thread that IMO he is quietly becoming a solid 2nd receiver. I think that we'll see the ball spread out quite a bit this season...we have a number of different viable weapons that should be utilized (heck...try throwing a rock at the Texan practice facility and see if you don't hit a quality TE!)

I agree with a good amount of what was said. I don't know much about the Texans passing game in terms of where the ball was supposed to be thrown or what the 1,2,3 options are...but I do know about playing QB.

Pass plays aren't designed to throw to your best receiver. They are designed to take advantage of the week or open spots in a defense. You read the defense and react to what they do. I'm sure he has missed open receivers, but he's learning and improving IMO. Brett Favre didn't emerge until after he learned and grew into one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL...David will learn. It's always safer to check down to a back and pick up a few yards than try something and throw an INT.

As far as depth is concerned, I feel that we improved in that area this offseason and in the draft. Yeah, we still have some work to do but we're getting there. This season will be much better and more enjoyable.

V Man said:
I think WR is the position that is going to make or break us this year.
We improved our DB and LB in the draft,
D-line improved thru Free Agency and players getting healthy
O-line same as D-line, plus additional year of experience,
TE-got good solid players, RB- DD is great, with Hollings the chance to be good also.

but WR - we have one legit weapons (with a dropped ball problem), a speedster that disappears games at a time, a 3rd year receiver whoy is suppose to have his break out year for the 2nd year in a row, and a whole list of rookies and undrafted free agents.

I would love to see some veteran come available after being released from his team on June 1, and then the Texans make a run at him. Does anyone heard of any WR that might be released on June 1.
I think you're analysis is right on. I've previously said that our most devastating injury would be Andre Johnson. Without him, it would be a very ordinary group of WRs for what we all hope will be a playoff year.

If there is room for hope, I would offer a couple of comments:

A) There is reason to believe that Johnson will show a lot of improvement. He is only coming into his second year with the Texans and he came out of college as a junior (and he didn't participate in Spring Football in college, because he was winning the Big East sprint championship);

B) Some of the receiver problems in the past may be solved by improvements in Carr (experience), the OL and running game. An extra 1/2 second of protection will allow Carr to look for second and third options.

rittenhouserobz said:
Gaffney and Bradford are veterans. If another vet came in they would have to learn the system. Their chemistry would not be as good with DC.

Yes Gaffney and Bradford are veterans, but are they good WR's. Bradford is a spot player, a good #4 to come in and stretch the field. Gaffney is in his third year and needs to show some improvement. I think if a good solid receiver (like Ward from Pittsburg for example, which he probably won't) come available, the Texans should make a run. As for learning the system, they are professionals, it won't take them long, a training camp. As for Chemistry, I wouldn't say Carr/ Gaffney/ and Bradford have been clicking on all cylinders.

scooter said:
think our offense all comes down to carr though. is he still gun shy? has he been training on finding the 2nd or 3rd option? if he works, our entire offense is going to work IMO.

And this is also a good point, maybe some of the lack of a Quality of a #2 receiver should fall to Carr. He does need to step up this year and improve in TD/Int Ratio and spreading the ball around to the receivers.

It all boils down to the o-line. If they get the run working and he gets time to check down to at LEAST the 2 nd reciever before dumping it then we will be cooking. The TD/INT ratio HAS to improve to at least even at the very minimum for him to have a satisfactory QB season. Not good, just OK. If he gets it to a 2/1 ratio and a QB rating of mid 70s and 3K yards that would be a good season for him.

Back