Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2008   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Banks: "Mendenhall reminds me so much of Okoye last year".

I am full on the Mendenhall pick, but it's looking more and more like he won't be around for the 18th pick:

Quote:
"He reminds me so much of Amobi Okoye last year,'' said the personnel man. "At the beginning of the process, we didn't really know much about either one of them, other than they were really young. [Okoye was 19 at last year's combine, Mendenhall is 20.] Then you watch some film, and you go from thinking of them as a first-day pick to a first-round pick. Then you get to the combine, get a chance to talk to them, and now it's first half of the first round. Then they have great workouts, and you realize they're top 10 picks. The same thing that happened with Okoye is happening with Mendenhall.''
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #2
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Banks: "Mendenhall reminds me so much of Okoye last year".

I started a thread saying that "walker and taylor are the future" and as much as i still believe that we dont NEED(as in really really bad) a runing back, I am doing a complete 180 on this kid, I would gladly take Mendenhall if he slips to 18.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #3
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

He is ours it all depends on free agency.
Old 02-27-2008   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Appreciate you sharing, but that guy reads like a reporter of information that anyone on this board would know last year.

Quote:
"At the beginning of the process, we didn't really know much about either one of them, other than they were really young.
Old 02-27-2008   #5
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Ive heard we are definatly not looking at FA RB's, but I just HEARD that so.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 77891 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Okay Rick.
Old 02-27-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was surprised Okoye slipped to us at #10 last year. I will be just as surprised if Mendenhall slips to #18. While RB isn't necessarily a big need for a lot of the teams in front of us, it's not necessarily a strength either. He will probably be too good for a team to pass up- even those that need CB help may not find a CB that fits their scheme available that warrants the high selection.

Anyone wonder about the chance of Mendenhall staying in-state? I hear they absolutely love him up in Illinois.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2008   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its a long-shot at best that we take Mendenthall or any back at #18,
and then only if we decide to dispose of Ahman Green.
But only if Mendenhall was vastly superior to any other player at a big need position like CB or OL still on the Board when we pick - maybe. But like I said, only if they decide to cut Green.
Never lose sight of a favorite motto Kubiak and other Bronco disciples practice vigoressly: "backs are a dime a dozen".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think its a long-shot at best that we take Mendenthall or any back at #18,
and then only if we decide to dispose of Ahman Green.
But only if Mendenhall was vastly superior to any other player at a big need position like CB or OL still on the Board when we pick - maybe. But like I said, only if they decide to cut Green.
Never lose sight of a favorite motto Kubiak and other Bronco disciples practice vigoressly: "backs are a dime a dozen".
Please give me reasons to keep Green vs the ones to let him go June 1st (savings of $3.8million).

How has that favorite motto worked for Kubes in his first two years?
Old 02-28-2008   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fed up with the Shanahan system of drafting running backs.

Mendenhall, even IF he were available at 18...would slip right on to the next team below us. We simply will NOT take a running back in the first round. Kubiak believes his system is so awesome that "any" back can fill the need.

I have been for Mendenhall for a long time. He runs like Eddie George: Straight up, makes cuts or shifts on a dime while using power to gain an extra couple of yards if he encounters contact during his cuts. He's so much better than Jonathan Stewart it's not even funny. Watch Stewart video on foxsports.com and then watch Mendenhall video. Chris Johnson is a good one, too, but I worry about his lack of strength in his lower body...appears to be pretty skinny and not very beefy from his core down to his ankles. Mendenhall is just a top-to-bottom SPECIMEN of an athlete in today's NFL.

(Sigh)

Foxsports.com's mock has him going to the Bears, but I don't even think he lasts THAT long. I think he easily goes Top 10. Heck, the Bengals need a running back with the way Rudi Johnson's been faring the past two years. Even the Jets could use a legitimate young back after the years of wasting away on this position.

We go defense. AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2008   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm fed up with the Shanahan system of drafting running backs.

Mendenhall, even IF he were available at 18...would slip right on to the next team below us. We simply will NOT take a running back in the first round. Kubiak believes his system is so awesome that "any" back can fill the need.

I have been for Mendenhall for a long time. He runs like Eddie George: Straight up, makes cuts or shifts on a dime while using power to gain an extra couple of yards if he encounters contact during his cuts. He's so much better than Jonathan Stewart it's not even funny. Watch Stewart video on foxsports.com and then watch Mendenhall video. Chris Johnson is a good one, too, but I worry about his lack of strength in his lower body...appears to be pretty skinny and not very beefy from his core down to his ankles. Mendenhall is just a top-to-bottom SPECIMEN of an athlete in today's NFL.

(Sigh)

Foxsports.com's mock has him going to the Bears, but I don't even think he lasts THAT long. I think he easily goes Top 10. Heck, the Bengals need a running back with the way Rudi Johnson's been faring the past two years. Even the Jets could use a legitimate young back after the years of wasting away on this position.

We go defense. AGAIN.
So how does Kubiak trying to trade back into the 1st round to get Deangelo Williams a few years ago? I think that the fact the Kubiak has already tried to draft a RB in the 1st, coupled with the lack of a running game here over the last 2 years could lead him to go RB in the first in an effort to get a good consistent running game.

Then again it's not like Denver hasn't had succes with their system or anything.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I am not that high on taking a RB in the 1st Round, but if we did, I think Mendenhall would be my 2nd choice after McFadden in all of this year's draft. If he fell in our laps and Kenny Phillips is gone, I would have no problem with Mendenhall at #18. He will probably be long gone though. He is the clear #2 now unless Stewart blows scouts away at his Pro Day.

The way the draft is lining up, we may get the best value by looking at a Tackle, WR*, or Defensive End if Mendenhall and Phillips are both gone at #18. (*only valid if we lose Andre Davis to FA whereas we would have to consider one of the WR corps like Kelly, Manningham, or even Sweed)

I would love to resign Davis but only if its a team-friendly deal.
Old 02-28-2008   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bronco's system doesn't work like it used to. The NFL cracked down on the cheap shots somewhat. They wouldn't have paid out the ass for Henry last year if they could get by with undrafted kids.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

We passed on Clinton Portis in 2002. Eighteen selections later the Broncos took him with the 51st pick. If Kubiak and Smith see value they will take the player that fits our needs.
Old 02-28-2008   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
So how does Kubiak trying to trade back into the 1st round to get Deangelo Williams a few years ago? I think that the fact the Kubiak has already tried to draft a RB in the 1st, coupled with the lack of a running game here over the last 2 years could lead him to go RB in the first in an effort to get a good consistent running game.

Then again it's not like Denver hasn't had succes with their system or anything.
I agree. I'm sick of people claiming that we will never pick a RB in the first because of the "Denver System". We were considering picking a RB with the first overall pick and then tried to trade back into the first round to get a RB. If a RB is the BPA in a position of need we will draft one.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
We passed on Clinton Portis in 2002. One selection later the Broncos took him with the 51st pick.
Fixed that for you.

Signed,

Chester Pitts
Old 02-28-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57741 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Bronco's system doesn't work like it used to. The NFL cracked down on the cheap shots somewhat. They wouldn't have paid out the ass for Henry last year if they could get by with undrafted kids.
I agree with that to a point.

Selvin Young disagrees with the last sentence though.
bah007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #18
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Fixed that for you.

Signed,

Chester Pitts
Well we passed on him twice so you were both right.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Ea00.htm?redirHow about some comparisons between Stewart and Earl Campbell?

Last edited by badboy; 02-28-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: link
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Mendenhall is a one year wonder with a good combine. Didn't the Titans get burned last year by a guy like that in the 2nd?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read