Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-27-2008   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default who's your favourite player @ #18 now

my top 5 for #18 now looks something like this:

1. Leodis McKelvin
2. DRC
3. Rashard Mendenhall
4. Derrick Harvey
5. Chris Williams
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: who's your favourite player @ #18 now

As I think McKelvin will be gone, I remain in Stewarts corner. 235lbs and 4.48 speed?
Old 02-27-2008   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As I think McKelvin will be gone, I remain in Stewarts corner. 235lbs and 4.48 speed?
and 1 speed
Old 02-27-2008   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Williams
1. Stewart
1. Mendenhall
1. Talib
1. Cromartie

If they are all available at 18, then I want to trade back.
Old 02-27-2008   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
and 1 speed
A power back with that speed is almost unheard of being available that low in draft. Not clear on what you mean by 1 speed. He hits line hard and fast and then accelerates into secondary. There are faster backs who might not get past L.O.S. or be able to break a tackle in secondary. He is a home run threat. He can move the ball in short yardage and in red zone. What other backs offer all this? McFadden, but some on this MB think he will not be as advertised. We might be able to get a very good RB later but odds just as good we might not. A "franchise type" player at a need position is pretty hard for me to pass up.
Old 02-27-2008   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
1. Williams
1. Stewart
1. Mendenhall
1. Talib
1. Cromartie

If they are all available at 18, then I want to trade back.
I second this right here a 100%

Quote:
A power back with that speed is almost unheard of being available that low in draft. Not clear on what you mean by 1 speed. He hits line hard and fast and then accelerates into secondary. There are faster backs who might not get past L.O.S. or be able to break a tackle in secondary. He is a home run threat. He can move the ball in short yardage and in red zone. What other backs offer all this? McFadden, but some on this MB think he will not be as advertised. We might be able to get a very good RB later but odds just as good we might not. A "franchise type" player at a need position is pretty hard for me to pass up.
Even though I have never said either way, I will now, I am one of the people that think McFadden is not as good as advertised. He is a burner for sure, but I think he will have issues at the next level. A lot of character issues as well the way I see it.
Old 02-27-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I second this right here a 100%

Even though I have never said either way, I will now, I am one of the people that think McFadden is not as good as advertised. He is a burner for sure, but I think he will have issues at the next level. A lot of character issues as well the way I see it.
Although It'd be hard for me to get upset if McFaddin landed here, I'd have to agree with y'all. He seems like he'd be great once in the open field, but not bangin it up the gut.

I'm not really worried about him being there at 18 anyways.
Old 02-27-2008   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

1. DRC
2. Chris Williams: Perfect ZBS OLT. Beats Salaam out in OTAs.
3. Trade down
4. Glenn Dorsey If he slips this far boom/bust.
5. Kenny Phillips...Looks like the guy has the hips to play CB.

Leodis McKelvin: top ten

Derrick Harvey : top five after his numbers I could seriously see him going to Minnesota now. Proto Typical 4-3 end.

Rashard Mendenhall: top fifteen.

No offense YTF Aqib Talib has danger Will Robinson writen all over him. the guy will have to work awefully hard to get coached up to start by september.
Old 02-27-2008   #9
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A power back with that speed is almost unheard of being available that low in draft. Not clear on what you mean by 1 speed. He hits line hard and fast and then accelerates into secondary. There are faster backs who might not get past L.O.S. or be able to break a tackle in secondary. He is a home run threat. He can move the ball in short yardage and in red zone. What other backs offer all this?
mendenhall offers all that and more imo

stewart doesnt really accelerate.. thats the point. he has 1 speed which is a pretty good one but he doesnt that zip or extra gear when he needs it.. i think he'll be a brandon jacobs type back- which is, again, pretty good but i dont want that at 18

Old 02-27-2008   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Mike Jenkins
2. Mendenhall
3. Clady
4. Cason
5. DRC
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no problem with your guys selections but do you y'all really think they'll still be there @ #18? just playing devils advocate

look its gotta be a cb, regardless if its a trade down or not. if the Texans stay @ #18 they go for the best cb available in this case it's Aqib Talib, Kansas.

Combine really helped him, confirmed measureables, smooth in back peddle, balanced in control athlete, fluid hips, explosive in space with excellent vertical. Would fit Texans style (play in front, excell in run support & very physical).

realistic favorites -
1a. Aqib Talib
1b. Antoine Cason
1c. Brandon Flowers

unrealistic favorites -
1a. Leodis McKelvin
1b. Rodgers-Cromartie
1c. Derrick Harvey

personel favorites -
1a. Jonathan Stewart
1b. Rashard Mendenhall
1c. Chris Williams

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-27-2008 at 12:08 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have no problem with your guys selections but do you y'all really think they'll still be there @ #18? just playing devils advocate

look its gotta be a cb, regardless if its a trade down or not. if the Texans stay @ #18 they go for the best cb available in this case it's Aqib Talib, Kansas.

Combine really helped him, confirmed measureables, smooth in back peddle, balanced in control athlete, fluid hips, explosive in space with excellent vertical. Would fit Texans style (play in front, excell in run support & very physical).

realistic favorites -
1a. Aqib Talib
1b. Antoine Cason
1c. Brandon Flowers

unrealistic favorites -
1a. Leodis McKelvin
1b. Rodgers-Cromartie
1c. Derrick Harvey

personel favorites -
1a. Jonathan Stewart
1b. Rashard Mendenhall
1c. Chris Williams

What I saw of the mans footwork...Talib is a bust pick. He is a first round athelete with a ten cent brain. I don't know if he dosen't take coaching....I don't know if he is being coached up and too stupid to understand....but the guy is a bust from my tree. I'd rather force Phillips into the CB positon than select a loose canon like Talib. There has gotta be a reason for his horrendous mechanics...I'm telling ya...let someone else draft this guy. He's a bushel full of trouble.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-27-2008 at 01:41 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
What I saw of the mans footwork...Talib is a bust pick. He is a first round athelete with a ten cent brain. I don't know if he dosen't take coaching....I don't know if he is bsing coached up and too stupid to understnd....but the guy is a bust from my tree. I'd rather force Phillips into the CB positon than select a loose canon like Talib. Their has gotta be a reason for his horrendous mechnics...I'm telling ya...let someone else draft this guy. He's a bushel full of trouble.
hope ytf doesnt read this

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-27-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Calls them as I sees them. Go back and watch his drills. I'm not a Db coach...and I get it. The guys feet are a train wreck. Telling me the K.U. coaches have been setting this guy a drift for three years ...I don't buy that one. It's either attitude or brain cells. And either one of those spells trouble.
Old 02-27-2008   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Calls them as I sees them. Go back and watch his drills. I'm not a Db coach...and I get it. The guys feet are a train wreck. Telling me the K.U. coaches have been setting this guy a drift for three years ...I don't buy that one. It's either attitude or brain cells. And either one of those spells trouble.
I think Deion and Mayock hammered Talib also .

Gibbs is a throw back OL coach . He said in Atlanta ... he needs smart guys who want to achieve .

I take this as ... if you aint willing to chop block ... you can't play . How do you measure that ?
Old 02-27-2008   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
NFL Combine Transcript - What teams have you talked to?

"I talked to the Patriots. It was just a good conversation. I felt it went pretty good. We talked about football, my history, family background, a lot of stuff."

NFL Combine Transcript - How would you fit in with the Patriots?

"I feel I'd be a pretty good fit wherever I get picked." What do you bring to a team? "My ball skills … when the ball is in the air, I find a way to get it. I can play man coverage, I'm a pretty good tackler."

NFL Combine Transcript - How do you stack up with the other corners here?

"I thought I was going to be one of the bigger corners, but it's a pretty big group."

NFL Combine Transcript - Any corner you try to emulate?

"I'm a big Deion Sanders fan. I aways want to be the shutdown corner, the Prime Time of my team. I come up and tackle."

NFL Combine Transcript - On his ability to make interceptions (he had 13 in three years at Kansas)

"They want interceptions at corner. If you have good hands, it shows you can make plays on defense. It matters a great deal."

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-27-2008   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I think it's really gonna come down to luck this year, luck and timing. 3 needs to fill and a probable overpriced FA market is gonna make it tough. One of the needs (OT, CB, RB) will have to be covered in FA, then we have to get lucky and have one of the other 2 available at 18. Personally I think the order of importance demands that CB be addressed BOTH in FA and pick 18, or 3rd rounder. I just think a lot is gonna have to go our way to address all 3 needs in one offseason. I think probably at least 2 needs will be patch jobs this year because of the cost and luck needed to pull off anything greater. I trust Smith/Kubiak to do the best they can though, and pray for the luck element to make it a positive offseason. Then we just need to get some of our other guys healthy, but more importantly, avoid the same fate this year with the injury bug. GO TEXANS!

Last edited by TK_Gamer; 02-27-2008 at 12:42 PM.
TK_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
there is a surprising lack of following regarding Talib not to mention he played @ a high level in national landscape. He is not the kind of corner that plays man he is a classic cover 2, which seems to fit what the Texans want. the cover corners traditionally are going to be your higher rated prospects, like McKelvin, Cromartie, Jenkins. you must consider his strengths & how well those strengths fit your specific needs/system. his pack peddle is smooth (in balance, foot placement, head up on a swivel) his hip turn is fluid (can open & flip hips left or right) is sudden enough (with cushion) to change direction with speed to recover and you know what I specificly remember him making low tackles when required in space. His vertical was what? 38" or something along with his wingspan 33" arm length, height 6006 weight 202 forty 4.45 & big hands for position 9 3/8. (just a note on McKelvin who seems to have hands of stone it might be related to his smallish hand size 8 1/2).

c'mon threetoedpete, CB's don't grow on trees either, just like OT's

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-27-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure of the order just yet, but I like:
*LT- Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
*G/LT- Branden Albert, Virginia
*RB- Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
*CB- Antoine Cason, Arizona
*CB- Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Tennessee St.
*CB- Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

Did anybody get to see Cason and Flowers do the drills during the Combine? For some reason I never saw the first group (Cason,Jenkins,Flowers, etc.)
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not sure of the order just yet, but I like:
*LT- Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
*G/LT- Branden Albert, Virginia
*RB- Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
*CB- Antoine Cason, Arizona
*CB- Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Tennessee St.
*CB- Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

Did anybody get to see Cason and Flowers do the drills during the Combine? For some reason I never saw the first group (Cason,Jenkins,Flowers, etc.)
they showed some of the 40 times later in the broadcast but did not show the skill drills. if you have it on DVR go to almost the very end.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read