Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-25-2008   #1
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Polian thinks Draft needs change

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...o&confirm=true

Rookies make way too much money before they even touch the field.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34025 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Polian thinks Draft needs change

I wouldn't mind a slotting system like the one the NBA uses for draft picks.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised it's taking as long as it is for the NFL to "reform" the draft system. What we have now makes no sense (with the exception of the draft order which works quite well) and the paychecks are just insane.

Think about rookie contracts. You get these enormous deals for first rounders and so few of them ever live up to the kind of money they make. I hear the argument that their careers could be over in an instant and I understand that's a possibility but how many guys, selected in the real money rounds have a career ending injury before their rookie contract is up? I know it happens but it surely doesn't happen to everybody or even most of them.

It seems to me like they could come up with a rookie pay scale that came with some sort of insurance payout for players who have career ending injuries. I've no doubt it would be cheaper than paying everybody like they're going to be HOF material right out of the gate. I think after 4 years in the league you could then be free to go on and negotiate yourself a deal based on your development to that point.
Old 02-25-2008   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

How easy is this vote if they ever get off their butts and present it to the players?--hey all you guys in the league want to vote on making more money available for you and less available for guys not in the league yet (and hence not voting)?
Old 02-25-2008   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How easy is this vote if they ever get off their butts and present it to the players?--hey all you guys in the league want to vote on making more money available for you and less available for guys not in the league yet (and hence not voting)?
no doubt. you would think it would be a slam dunk.
Old 02-25-2008   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The words trade down might have some meaning for top 10 teams if they pass such a measure.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

They need to do something about it fast. You shouldn't have rookies being the highest paid players at their position before playing a single down.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2008   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it not to happen.

Another benefit - when was the last time you heard of an NBA first round pick holding out? There's no point to it.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #9
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it not to happen.Another benefit - when was the last time you heard of an NBA first round pick holding out? There's no point to it.
Unfortunately, this should probably read:
Agreed - this makes way too much sense for it to happen.

When have the powers to be ever made sense?
Old 02-25-2008   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

If Reggie Bust isn't proof of this then no one is. This guy will go down as the most overhyped bust in the NFL. He is even on a billboard here in Austin selling something.

They really need to make these guys PROVE on the field what they can do in the NFL before they start giving them all that money. Corporations should do the same before they start throwing all that money at them for endorsements.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #11
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am not sure it is so cut and dry as that.

Let's say a new player comes into the league and is deemed a star prior to entering the league and gets his pay day at position X. If I am a FA at position X and I am a top guy in the league you better believe I want that type of money for myself and probably a premium to boot because I have already proven my worth.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Or, and call me crazy here....pay them the same ridiculous amount of money, but make them designate an insane portion of it toward an NFL Medical Pension.

Gonna' make $50 million as one of the top draft picks? 25% of your contract goes directly into the fund. You get to help yourself make a ton of money, and you get to help pay back those guys like Mike Webster who needed a hand. After all, you're probably going to need it, too, some day. Right?

This makes the owners poney up the cash for the NFL Veterans who have earned to get the best healthcare they can get. I'm not in favor of helping the owners save more money. Make them pay the players the same amount, but the NFL collects a percentage and allocate it to retired players--This would be on rookie contracts only. This sport is getting insanely physical and is going to take a HUGE toll on guys who are playing today.

The need for this is NOW. Not in 20 years when a ton of guys are dying at 50 because of brain problems. That's a P.R. nightmare. Do something pro-active, Goodell, instead of waiting for the storm to hit. It's common sense.
Old 02-25-2008   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Performance should always be the driver for pay in a meritocracy. The current system needs to be fixed, but in my opinion it cannot. The reality is that the next Reggie Bush will still have plenty of endorsement potential based upon their look and performance in the NCAA.

If a change were to be made, the issue would then become when will the player be able to renegotiate. Hold outs could become potentially rampant for young players after the rookie campaign, especially those positions that have a historically low average shelf life in the NFL, as in a RB.

In the end, the best way to get it right in the draft is to make sure you have competent folks in the FO and in the field. I believe the current Texans' regime is showing us that competence goes a long way.
Old 02-26-2008   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
I am not sure it is so cut and dry as that.

Let's say a new player comes into the league and is deemed a star prior to entering the league and gets his pay day at position X. If I am a FA at position X and I am a top guy in the league you better believe I want that type of money for myself and probably a premium to boot because I have already proven my worth.
Nah, the market will set the prices for the vets just like it did for Nate Clements last year and will for Asante Samuel this year. It's a pretty simple truth that if teams only have X dollars they can spend and less is going to rookies, more will be spent on vets.
Old 02-26-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The best way to change the draft is...to not hold a draft at all.

Rather than drafting players and signing them out of a rookie salary pool, allow all eligible players to be on the free agent market. There could still be a rookie salary pool, with the worst teams getting more pool money. A team could avoid the high priced talent at the top, and stockpile solid, but cheaper talent. Or a team that thinks it is one player away, could go all in. Let the market decide. The rookies would be worth whatever they can sign for, not some arbitrary slot number that's either too high or too low.
Old 02-26-2008   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with him 100%. Just look at the teams in the top 10, most of them are there every year and nothing is changing. And to prevent hold outs after a great rookie year, make a rule to prevent a renegotiation until a player has played x number of years on his first contract.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read