Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2008   #81
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd hand Texans rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.
I've lived in Austin since 1995. I didn't go to UT but I certainly spent years rooting for them- I still really like the basketball team. However, the years of these myopic and obnoxious fans make it almost impossible to root for the football team. I was excited when Mack Brown came to UT. It was certainly good for the program. However, by the time the Roy Williams, Corey Redding class became seniors I became disenchanted with Brown's coaching ability. There are many things Mack does well. However, most of his elite talent has underperformed, wilted in big games against elite competition, and not exhibited the work ethic or intensity needed to excel in the NFL. That doesn't mean that Mack Brown, as a whole, is a bad person to head the Texas program. I don't understand how anyone can look at the immense talent that's walked into and out of the UT doors and not see that they underperform at an alarming rate.

What is so amazing about Vince Young, is that he was able to grow and develop and lift the level of that team despite those conditions.

Of all the talent that has entered the NFL from UT, who has been better than expected?

LDavis
MWilliams
Jammer
Benson
RWilliams
Huff
CSimms
Roy Williams
Derrick Johnson
Corey Redding
Shaun Rogers

and many others...

I'd agree that Vince Young may one day become a very good NFL QB. Also, I think Casey Hampton has at least met expecations as a very good DT. Other than that, I struggle to come up with any.

Meanwhile, if you look at the other schools that bring in similar talent, you will find plenty of examples of players playing at an elite level.

Look up guys from USC, Miami, Ohio St.... that's the talent level Mack brings in.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #82
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.
Thought I had put in Davis's probowl appearance, at a position he was not drafted to play, OGs are never taken #2 in the salary cap era. It got deleted in an edit I did to shorten my comments. I know his brother very well, and have had very good insight into Leonard.

Roy is a talent when he is playing, and he has had run ins with his now former OC, the pass happy Mike Martz, only WR I have heard of to be unhappy with Martz. And he is on the trading blocks now because?

Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired.

Jammer so far is the only player in this group to seem to be above anyone questioning his commitment. And as I stated before I will give Huff a pass due to his length of time in the league.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #83
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Looks like we're trying to trade for Chester Taylor.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm
ESPN is reporting we may be looking at Duece

http://www.espn.com/nosaints/trade/nfl.cfm

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #84
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

Okay, maybe SecondHoneymoon is right about me, because I've totally fallen for this gag twice now!
Old 02-25-2008   #85
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

OMG texas Red !!! I thought I'd been transported to a discos in the eighties. I'm going to need a tekillya shot after that lol.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-26-2008 at 12:52 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #86
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Okay, maybe SecondHoneymoon is right about me, because I've totally fallen for this gag twice now!

Not only that, but I clicked the first thread three times, thinking something weird had happened and somehow if I was persistant enough with the link, I would eventually be able to read the story about us acquiring Chester Taylor!
Old 02-25-2008   #87
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Looks like we're trying to trade for Chester Taylor.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm
Quote:

Edgerrin James coming back to the AFC south?

www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2008   #88
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:

Mah!!! You got me too...
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #89
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"You know the rules and so do I."
Old 02-25-2008   #90
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You sir, are a cold and heartless SOB.
Old 02-26-2008   #91
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired. .
To be fair, when you consider that most if not all of the guys you pointed out were drafted high by bad teams. How many teams with top ten picks keep their coaches?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #92
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.
I think you're on to something. The big schools have a much larger exposure, specifically to the public but I suspect this is the case for NFL-teams and coaches too.

I've had this thought for awhile now actually, think it started when we drafted Mathis. Alot of people would comment on how the hell we thought we would be able to get talent from 'such a small school without a decent program'. Also when we had our asses chewed a season or two ago, the reaction by many were that how could we lose to 'some unknown QB from a no talent school'.

Fans buy into the hype, ESPN does (and creates its own hype at the same time). I find it hard to believe that no scouts or NFL coaches should be influenced by this hype too. After all, larger schools with money-making athlethics programs do spend on advertisement and PR.
Old 02-26-2008   #93
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.
I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 02-26-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #94
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.
Nice post.

I think that coaches all have different styles. Brown's style is one that recruits want to come to. He gets the best coming out of high school, and with that comes some ego from the kids He protects them in a bubble and defends them up until the point that something indefensible happens.

If you have had a coach that is like a father to you and cares for you and your family, and you go to school in a very friendly environment, where your job is almost handed to you as a recruiting promise, it is a dash of cold water to have to really work and compete for a job.

Coming from a protected environment with a niiiiiice coach, it sucks to go to a backside-chewing coach. Ricky Williams is the exaggerated version of that, but to a lesser degree I think it applies to some of the others. If everyone always treats you like the king and gives you special privileges, you might lose your desire to work hard.

Funny how Brown put more discipline on his players pre-bowl game last year and made them compete more.
Old 02-26-2008   #95
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Re: Texas players in the pros - Casey Hampton is the best player to come out of UT in the past 10 years, IMO. Of course, he's a nose tackle, so he's not going to get much recognition.
Old 02-26-2008   #96
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.
You just destroyed your entire argument by misspelling know. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #97
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

WR Roy Williams has done pretty good in a bad situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #98
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen anything about the Texans trading for anyone.
Old 02-26-2008   #99
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I haven't seen anything about the Texans trading for anyone.
That is why it is 3rd hand rumor.
Old 02-26-2008   #100
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
You just destroyed your entire argument by misspelling know. lol
oh know.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read