Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2008   #61
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd hand Texans rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.
As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #62
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.
hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Moonshine at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbers to chew on:

278 - Texas has had 278 players drafted by the NFL.
68 - Texas has had a player selected in an NFL-record 68 consecutive drafts.
36 - Numbers of Longhorns chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.
33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
22 - There are currently 22 former Longhorns active in the NFL.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 02-25-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #63
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbersto chew on:

33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.
I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&OV...ID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #64
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&OV...ID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.
your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.
Old 02-25-2008   #65
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Nice set of numbers but he did say Mack Brown coached guys disappoint in the NFL, not the entire history of UT. But I like playing along so I will ask how many of the guys listed have had HoF careers, how many hoave won SuperBowl MVP trophys?

Benson is a huge disapointment in the NFL as well as Huff, neither have lived up to their first round picks and you can actually put VY into the catagory as well. But thanks for jumping up on that high horse and wanting another poster to die very very classy of you. Geez man!!
Old 02-25-2008   #66
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

To be fair, you may want to base your numbers on players that were actually coached by Mack Brown- so the 1999 NFL Draft and on???

EDIT: lol great minds think at the same time, specnatz
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #67
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

all the players I listed were coached by Brown....I even conveniently omitted a few
Old 02-25-2008   #68
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.
To be fair you told the guy to quit homering for Carr when he never mentioned the guys name. He made a joke about UT or more specifically Brown.

Just been noticing the posts I read your screaming about Carr like a Vietnam Vet having a flash back about "Charlie."

Not really commenting on this post alone, but your body of work as of late.

I do agree with you though, Carr does suck. There is a rumor going around though that once released from the Panthers, he will be going into talks with CBS to do commentating, and from what i hear they would like to put him in the booth to do Texans games.

Old 02-25-2008   #69
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.
Old 02-25-2008   #70
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Wow SH! You calling someone else a "hater!" Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I just find it very, funny.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #71
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.
underachieve is just so speculative a term. mike williams has been a failure and Ricky obviously has been an embarassment to any pro-UT argument, but the rest of the guys are starters for their respective team. Couple those guys with the guys drafted after the #7 overall pick who are starters (DJ, Vasher, Rogers, Hampton, etc.) and you realize that there are a lot of guys in the NFL who are starting and are making plays. Maybe not enough to be in the Pro Bowl, but enough to not necessarily have them all labeled as 'underachievers'.

I do agree with you saying that measurables have had a lot to do with some of the early selections, but is that the fault of Mack? It's just indicative of the level of speed and size that Mack has been able to recruit and develop. Wait till next year's crop comes in.may be best yet.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 02-25-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #72
TEXANRED
Texan-American

almost forgot the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRC971jtvEg

Old 02-25-2008   #73
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

People mocked me when I said the O-line was behind Benson and VY's success. Looks like I'll get the last laugh.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #74
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
People mocked me when I said the O-line was behind Benson and VY's success. Looks like I'll get the last laugh.
OH ... what you got ESPN ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #75
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #76
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.
You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #77
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this thread was about a Texans rumor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #78
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
I thought this thread was about a Texans rumor?
no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.
Old 02-25-2008   #79
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.
Ya know SH you could easily follow your own advice because if you look at your reply and rant after someone made a statement saying the players under Mack have not done so well in the NFL. It is an opinion and while you may disagree you could have easily made your case without saying a lot of the things you said and also bringing up players who are no longer on the Texans, but you did not do that.
Old 02-25-2008   #80
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like we're trying to trade for Chester Taylor.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read