Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2008   #21
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 145529 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd hand Texans rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Hey! When did they change their layout? rofl.
I was just thinking the same thing. Didn't even bother checking to see if my account was still active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #22
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright, so the suspense on this is killing me.

What I wanted: A RB out of the draft.

What I would be happy with: Trading for an RB that doesn't have a million miles on him and that has been more than just "serviceable." I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.

What I don't want: Pulling a bonehead move and trading for someone who is "just a guy" at RB. I don't want a Julius Jones, Marcel Shipp, or someone like that under center, especially if they cost us talent or picks.

What would make me throw up: Signing a FA "JAG" and calling RB done for next season. See: Foster, DeShaun or Dayne, Ron.

And don't get me wrong on that Ron Dayne comment. I like what the Dayne Train did for us the past two years. I just want someone more explosive - is that soooo wrong?
Old 02-24-2008   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.
Michael Turner wouldn't cost any draft picks, as he is an unrestricted free agent. Just the $$$ to sign him.
Old 02-24-2008   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not doubt Turner can run the football. I just do not recall him catching a ball out of the backfield, nor did I ever watch to see him block. He may be able to do both, but it is a concern without seeing it on the field in three years.
Old 02-24-2008   #25
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I could live with Ike Turner here as long as he doesn't cost us what Schaub did in terms of draft picks.
As long as it comes as a package deal with Tina.

We need a RB who likes to hit and looks for contact.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #26
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! A third hand rumor, for all we know it could be the triumphant return of James Allen aka Mersilis!
Old 02-24-2008   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Could it be a "repackaging" of Joe Smith........one with "guarantees" that he needed for "family security"?????
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2008   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Wow! A third hand rumor, for all we know it could be the triumphant return of James Allen aka Mersilis!
What can you say in the offseason even third hand rumours are exciting to those starving for football related gossip.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #29
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Could it be a "repackaging" of Joe Smith........one with "guarantees" that he needed for "family security"?????
Joe Smith from the CFL? He re-signed with the BC Lions.
Old 02-24-2008   #30
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd reserve judgment until I saw the price, but I'd much prefer to see us look for a RB in FA or the draft. This is one of the deeper drafts in recent years at RB, and there are several intriguing FA's available. I especially don't want to see us give up any picks, we're still a building franchise and we need all the help we can get.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #31
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Joe Smith from the CFL? He re-signed with the BC Lions.
I know........that's why I said repackage. He essentially turned us down because of no guarantee to not being cut prior to the season. He would be a heck of a fit in our system. Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Maybe, the Texans rethought their stance after they were turned down. Smith and the Lions might be willing to show some creativity..........just speculating.
No, I think the Texans had a window to sign Smith (or any other option year CFLer), and missed it.

Quote:
CFL players heading into their option years are eligible to sign in the NFL after every season. And Buono historically has made no attempt to extend the contracts of those with a window of opportunity to head south, saying the Lions are not in a position to make an offer that could match even the minimum rookie salary of $295,000 per season in the four-down league.

It's simply the timing of the workout that will keep the Lions on edge today. Option-year players have until 1 p.m. today to sign in the NFL before their rights revert to their CFL team. It means Houston basically would have to offer and negotiate a deal for Smith on the spot.

The option-year signing period opened last month, when Smith's agent was quoted as saying his client had drawn interest from the New York Jets and Chicago Bears.
I believe the NFL has an agreement with the CFL to honor their player contracts. There's actually a rule in the collective bargaining agreement that forbids NFL teams from signing CFL players after their season in Canada is over.
Old 02-24-2008   #33
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Apparently dratfdaddy.com is reporting in its Rumors that the Bears are shopping Cedric Benson. Not even talking as a fan, from a Front Office standpoint, this makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. His stock has never been lower, his cap # is very average next year, and he has nowhere to go but up. And this AFTER we took the burden of last year, alot of his contract, and traded away Thomas Jones so that there's no one behind him?

It would be ridicolously stupid to move Benson now. And for what? A 4th or 5th rounder? He wouldnt bring in much, nothing that could help us right away. Its create another hole because instead of partially having something at the RB spot we'd have to completly start over...again. I really hope this isnt true. Say what you want about the guy, but I think its hard to argue against the implications. What are your thoughts?
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...ad/891072.aspx

Quote:
i just read on the espn boards that it could be Cedric Benson
http://boards.houstontexans.com/show...?t=5644&page=8

edit: forgot links.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #34
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

It better not be Cedric Benson.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Well the only thing I can think of is they want to lock down the RB hole befor the draft. I don't agree with it whether it is Benson or the burner. I have my doubts too up there. My last images of Turner the burner I have was of him being stuffed in a play off game with a much better line than we have.

Maybe they have two or three guys targeted and don't have the heart to wait and see what will fall to them in the third and forth rounds.

NFNn is reporting a deal in the works for Deshawn Foster to Tampa. Aparently, Cadillac's injured knee is very serious. Career threatening wasn't said...but hinted at.

The NFL phsycal year is fixing to flip. A lot of these moves will straighten themselves out in the next ten days or so. Can't give the same guy two contracts in the same year. Guys like Micheal Strahan and Flozzel Adams will get redone at the first of March.
Old 02-25-2008   #36
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Please don't waste money on Turner! He is an upgrade over what we have, but will not be near the money he is making.

He's a product of Lorenzo Neal, The Chargers O-Line, and the fact that defenses relax a bit when LT is off the field (same with Felix Jones at Ark)

I'd figure Fragile Matty and Sage would show the fans about overrated back up players
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #37
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's Benson or Foster, then I conclude that someone put voodoo dolls in the walls of the GMs office when the stadium was being built ...

That's one rumor that can't be true.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #38
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Cedric Benson and the Bears were a nightmare waiting to happen. IIRC he was taken fourth overall, held out during training camp, Watched Jones run like a mad man, and never got a fair opportunity to show the Bears organization what he can do.

I think there are a lot of guys in that locker room who would rather have Jones as there RB and got upset when he was traded. I believe that Benson was never given a fair chance in Chicago from day one. I believe that there are guys in that locker room who would go to great links to make sure that Benson's career in Chicago is over. He was a great runner in Texas, there was a reason he was taken first five.

A change of scenery is exactly what Benson needs. Who knows, maybe coming back home to Texas could save his career. B/C the state of Texas does have natural healing powers.:music:

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #39
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I may have found a claim to this rumor.....it could be a mistake by the NFL Network.

Sorry if this has been already posted.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #40
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If this rumor is true and we do pick up a RB via trade I don't think that necessarily keeps us from drafting one as well. I think with the number of injuries we saw last year and the uncertainty we have experienced at RB over the two seasons Kubiak has been here, he and Rick Smith are going to do everything in their power to have several starting capable backs on the roster. Kubiak has stated in many of his pressers that in the NFL today you not only need 2 starting capable RBs but a third as well.

Ahman Green would be one of those guys, whether we keep him or not remains to be seen. But from all indications from Smith and Kubiak, he is here to stay. Ron Dayne would be another one, but he is an UFA and LZ has said that he doesn't think Dayne fits Gibbs' system and wouldn't be suprised if Dayne wasn't re-signed. Then you have the Chris Taylor and Darius Walker types who are more insurance than someone you would go into a season with and expect to give you starter quality time.

So, say we do give a 5th rounder for a Cedric Benson-esque player, who's to say that keeps us from drafting another RB in the first three rounds as well? While it might hurt to use two of our 6 draft picks on one position it would give you a lot more to be confident about at the position going into next season (ie. Ahman Green, Ray Rice, Cedric Benson vs. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker.) There is also the possibility of trading back a number of spots to pick up extra picks.

And this is all assuming it would be some mid-level guy and not more of a blockbuster trade. Would Miami be opposed to letting Ronnie Brown, who's coming off an injury, go for an extra pick(s) with the chance to draft McFadden at #1? Also, with Mendenhall and McFadden both measuring well at the combine and rising up the draft board would teams in the mid-early first round be willing to let their starting RB go for an extra pick(s) with the certainty of McFadden or Mendenhall being there? KC and Larry Johnson, NE and Lawrence Maroney, Baltimore and Willis McGahee? Would you take Willis McGahee and the #38 pick for our #18? Would Baltimore?

Last edited by nero THE zero; 02-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read