Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-27-2008   #41
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - any rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Can there really be much of a difference between #3 money and #4 money? As much as I like Jacoby, I think that battle will have to be won on the field.
I think Davis's agent has him convinced that he will get #2 money from a club somewhere. The Bucs, Jags, and Chiefs could all use Davis's services, and I know the Jags and the Bucs could probably outbid us if it came down to it.

Maybe we'll pick up Flowers or somebody like that with our pick.
Old 02-27-2008   #42
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Can there really be much of a difference between #3 money and #4 money? As much as I like Jacoby, I think that battle will have to be won on the field.
I would say yes. Davis is in his late 20s and this could be his last contract. WR 4 money is probably veteran minimum with a minimal signing bonus. If he is able to get even a decent signing bonus and/or "just" 200,000 or 300,000 a year more, that is potentially huge for how he sets up the rest of his life.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I would say yes. Davis is in his late 20s and this could be his last contract. WR 4 money is probably veteran minimum with a minimal signing bonus. If he is able to get even a decent signing bonus and/or "just" 200,000 or 300,000 a year more, that is potentially huge for how he sets up the rest of his life.
Davis is looking to hit a pay day. Our best hope is that he prices himself out of the market. Jones could MAYBE fill his shoes, but he was never the same after his injury. Some people don't respond well to violent hits and a KR/PR DEFINITELY gets some violent hits. I say pay Davis what he wants because he showed hands as good as Walters PLUS intangibles and return abilities. After all the wasted money spent on various players over the years, why not spend some on a guy that can actually help the team. Maybe we could sue Carr for impersonating an NFL QB and reoup the $$...
Old 02-28-2008   #44
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Davis is looking to hit a pay day. Our best hope is that he prices himself out of the market. Jones could MAYBE fill his shoes, but he was never the same after his injury. Some people don't respond well to violent hits and a KR/PR DEFINITELY gets some violent hits. I say pay Davis what he wants because he showed hands as good as Walters PLUS intangibles and return abilities. After all the wasted money spent on various players over the years, why not spend some on a guy that can actually help the team. Maybe we could sue Carr for impersonating an NFL QB and reoup the $$...
I think Rick Smith would be doing Mr. McNair a disservice if he let Davis bend the Texans over the barrel because of his contract. The fact is, that even if this is Davis's last contract, he's bounced around the league enough to know that any team that signs him to something better than #3 WR money, will expect him to bring it every game. I think the Texans would give him at least a year or so if for some reason he doesn't perform as well as he did last season.

I'm not worried about Davis honestly. If he thinks he can get over-the-top money then so be it, but I don't want the Texans to overpay him. Yes he is a nice return man to have, but it's not like we are totally devoid of KR players. Plus we still have to draft, so might as well let him run around the FA market seeing what he can get.
Old 02-28-2008   #45
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our current front office is too smart to be blackmailed by a one season wonder.

We made him, we can find someone else and make them too.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #46
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

we have one of the best ST coaches in the league and 2 maybe 3 young recievers that could step in. I wouldnt pay him any more than hes worth, no.3 money.
Old 02-28-2008   #47
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

heres a Q: if we could only keep one of AD or demps for reasonable money, who would you want to keep?

id say demps- jacoby can replace AD alot easier than replacing demps imo...
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2008   #48
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
heres a Q: if we could only keep one of AD or demps for reasonable money, who would you want to keep?

I'm with you Maddict...... Demps.... it's a no brainer. Jacoby is young and in a year or two will be much better than AD IMO.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #49
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
we have one of the best ST coaches in the league and 2 maybe 3 young recievers that could step in. I wouldnt pay him any more than hes worth, no.3 money.
Hmmm... I agree with all who say, let him "test the waters" and if some knucklehead GM wants to pay him big bucks, more power to him.

I'll say it this way, I wouldn't pay him a whole lot more than we're paying Kevin Walter. And the only reason he's worth a bit more than KW is he does represent a threat at KR.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #50
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Lets not get involved in yet ANOTHER bad contract. Id hate to see AD go, but it isnt like we dont have the parts to plug in if he walks. Id rather keep some other players over him.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #51
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to recall hearing Jevon Kearse getting cut by the Iggles...? But neither ESpin nor Fox has it listed under "Transactions"

Is that right?

I found this on the Iggles webpage
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...yerProfile.asp
Quote:
Now Kearse -- and the Eagles, for that matter -- are at a crossroads. He must find a way to get healthy. Meanwhile, Philadelphia must keep its options open at a position so critical in today's NFL. The lack of a consistent pass rush in 2007 certainly played a part in the team coming up with just 19 takeaways on the season.
Still, for two seasons Kearse was a steady defensive end who recorded 7 ½ sacks each year. He had his moments, just not enough. Defensive coordinator Jim Johnson often lauded Kearse as someone who played with energy, played hard against the run and was durable.
Speculation is that the Eagles will part ways with Kearse, but that speculation is all on the outside. There has been no official word from the team. And now here we are, waiting to see what happens

Last edited by ObsiWan; 02-28-2008 at 07:38 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if anyone else heard what I did today (Thurs 28th)? On one of the Houston morning radio sports blurbs (Jeremy?) AD's agent said he thought the Texans were committed to offering Andre the maximum and that Andre and his family have "finally" have found a home in Houston. This was a positive note for me. He should test the market as stupid money may be available, but I hope Davis remains at a reasonable price.
Old 02-28-2008   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - when does it begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, there is one free agent they are definately NOT interested in . . .

Look what Asante Samuel wants!
OK, You are Samuel and it is your time to get a deal to set you up for life. You see the deals given to Reggie Bush and Mario (whose guarantee was pretty close to $30 million if I remember correctly). Then you see what Nate Clemmons got and you just know you are better than him (and 2007 confirmed it). It is stupid money only if the checks do not have your name on it. Can't blame the player. Teams make business decisions daily.
Old 02-28-2008   #54
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans can land Slaton in the 4th or even 5th, he can replace AD on special teams
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #55
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

To me that's easy - if Davis leaves, we still feel pretty good about our WR situation. If Demps stays, we still need help in the defensive backfield. If it's only one, it's Demps.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #56
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - when does it begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
OK, You are Samuel and it is your time to get a deal to set you up for life. You see the deals given to Reggie Bush and Mario (whose guarantee was pretty close to $30 million if I remember correctly). Then you see what Nate Clemmons got and you just know you are better than him (and 2007 confirmed it). It is stupid money only if the checks do not have your name on it. Can't blame the player. Teams make business decisions daily.
Unfortunately it takes two to tango and Bush and Clements have not provided a great return to date. Buyers will beware.
Old 02-28-2008   #57
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if we'll bring Mike Anderson in to kick his tires.

If you don't think someone's going to pay Samuel big bucks, take a look at the embarrassment of Jason David. New Orleans will pay Samuel the money he's asking for, I think.
Old 02-28-2008   #58
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post

If you don't think someone's going to pay Samuel big bucks, take a look at the embarrassment of Jason David. New Orleans will pay Samuel the money he's asking for, I think.
Samuel is Jason David 2.0, so I hope not
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #59
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

from the cryptkeeper:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=3267228

Quote:
The Texans' Andre Davis is also going to make $5 million a year, and no one is 100 percent certain he's a starter.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #60
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tonight at 11!!!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read