Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-27-2008   #21
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - any rumors?

Something tells me that we need to keep Walker. Kid was a gamer.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
He definantly would come dirt cheap. Vet minimum most likely just like the last 2 seasons. It would cost us about 1 mil for 1 season. Thats pretty reasonable.
Eh, I think I'd still rather have somebody younger with potential. We know what we get with Dayne and IMO, it's not good enough.
Old 02-27-2008   #23
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We get a semi-reliable back who has shown that he can contribute and NOT make stupid mistakes (fumble). Sure, we'd like someone younger with potential, but to give up on dayne who costs us almost nothing and has contributed so much in the last two seasons would be foolish IMO.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
We get a semi-reliable back who has shown that he can contribute and NOT make stupid mistakes (fumble). Sure, we'd like someone younger with potential, but to give up on dayne who costs us almost nothing and has contributed so much in the last two seasons would be foolish IMO.
Agree to disagree, I guess. You say he contributed so much in the past. I say there was so much more there that could've been contributed. I re-watch games quite often (when the wife and kids are out. lol) and the lack of vision is obvious.
Old 02-27-2008   #25
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well you guys are probably correct. My veiw of Dayne is he is
our mudder. We get into a bad weather game...that is when he will earn his oats. Unless they draft Forte in the fourth or something...Dayne's not going anywhere. I think Walker and Taylor are the bubble guys, not Dayne.
Old 02-27-2008   #26
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Agree to disagree, I guess. You say he contributed so much in the past. I say there was so much more there that could've been contributed. I re-watch games quite often (when the wife and kids are out. lol) and the lack of vision is obvious.
I think Kubiak sees all these shortcommings as well, but he and Smith I think will make decisions based on best return for investment. I dont think you can just discard every player that doesnt produce ideally. The fact of the matter is for his basicly "league min." sallary, Dayne has won games for the Texans. I think it will be at least 3 years before the running game can carry the fortunes of the Texans. I think hard work and some luck will get the Texans to the playoffs and our defense will have to carry the day from there untill the offense can catch up.
Old 02-27-2008   #27
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
our mudder. We get into a bad weather game...that is when he will earn his oats. Unless they draft Forte in the fourth or something...Dayne's not going anywhere. I think Walker and Taylor are the bubble guys, not Dayne.
If they are going to draft Forte it's going to be in the 3rd. There's no way he will be around for our 4th round pick.

I wouldn't mind going after someone like Mewelde Moore (another Green Wave) in FA and drafting Kevin Smith or Forte in the 3rd.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2008   #28
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a couple of rumors for you:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/434805.html
  • Among safeties, New England's Eugene Wilson -- who also can play cornerback -- is on Miami's radar. Former Giants and Texans safety Will Demps wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Miami, an associate said

• The Dolphins figure to add at least one receiver from a list that includes Jerry Porter, Jabar Gaffney, Ernest Wilford, Andre Davis and Bryant Johnson. But the market will be high for Chicago's Bernard Berrian, who is being linked to the 49ers
Old 02-27-2008   #29
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I agree, and I also think even if we did grab a guy like Forte, we would still keep Dayne until his replacement could learn the system.
Old 02-27-2008   #30
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post

• Among safeties, New England's Eugene Wilson -- who also can play cornerback -- is on Miami's radar. Former Giants and Texans safety Will Demps wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Miami, an associate said

• The Dolphins figure to add at least one receiver from a list that includes Jerry Porter, Jabar Gaffney, Ernest Wilford, Andre Davis and Bryant Johnson. But the market will be high for Chicago's Bernard Berrian, who is being linked to the 49ers
Looks more like wishfull thinking than rumor to me, I seriously doubt either of those guys will be leaving the Texans this year. IMHO
Old 02-27-2008   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Looks more like wishfull thinking than rumor to me, I seriously doubt either of those guys will be leaving the Texans this year. IMHO
I hope you're at least half right, and totally right would be even better!
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
The Texans have done everything right to send Andre Davis the message they want him back. his agent has convinced him other teams will spend more for his servies & pay they shall, but not the Texans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #33
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's more for you:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...pers022308.htm

Should Texans WR André Davis re-sign with the club, he could be overtaken as the club’s No. 3 receiver by Jacoby Jones, Houston’s third-round pick from a year ago, who flashed considerable potential in the preseason but didn’t play as well in the regular season. However, we’re hearing the Texans are open to paying Davis like a No. 3 receiver because of his value as a receiver and a kickoff returner.
Old 02-27-2008   #34
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ Duckett would be a good, obscure pick up. A younger, more athletic Dayne that can be picked up at Vet Min. Also used to ZBS
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #35
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:

Wow....Gaffney is listed beside Berrian, Davis, and Jerry Porter. Is it the end of the world yet?:elle:
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #36
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we may try to bring in a CB like the Patriots Gay. The OTHER Patriots FA CB.
Old 02-27-2008   #37
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any rumors about free agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My hopes of the Texans going after a starter in free agency (preferably CB) have declined as more players are franchised or expected to demand too much loot. There may be some minor pick ups that may play a role as season progresses and injuries occur. I am hopeful that our three biggest needs LT,RB & CB will be addressed in first, third and fourth rounds. I think we may get a surprise or two from players such as Brandon Harris (safety) Brandon Frye (guard that might play tackle)Kasey Studdard (guard),Zach Diles (LB)Mike Briesel (guard) Brandon Mitchell (safety) Chris Taylor (RB) that were on team last season but did not play much or any. We can't overlook these guys.
I have kinda felt the same way, that we will not be very active in FA, and probably only pick up 1 or 2 lesser names. But, the Texans, since Kubes and/or Smith have been running the show, always do something in the offseason to surprise us, either in the Draft or in FA. I know it's only been 2 years since they took over (Smith 1 1/2 yrs.), but look how they have surprised us both years. The 1st year it was picking Mario in the 1st round instead of Bush. That was a shocker that angered alot of fans, but in retrospect has turned out pretty well. Then last year it was the blockbuster trade for Schaub and dumping YKW. That one surprised us too because most were thinking we would draft a QB and have him backup YKW for a couple of years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if they pull off another shocker in the offseason. It always comes when you least expect it. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #38
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's more for you:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...pers022308.htm

Should Texans WR André Davis re-sign with the club, he could be overtaken as the club’s No. 3 receiver by Jacoby Jones, Houston’s third-round pick from a year ago, who flashed considerable potential in the preseason but didn’t play as well in the regular season. However, we’re hearing the Texans are open to paying Davis like a No. 3 receiver because of his value as a receiver and a kickoff returner.
Can there really be much of a difference between #3 money and #4 money? As much as I like Jacoby, I think that battle will have to be won on the field.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any rumors about free agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I have kinda felt the same way, that we will not be very active in FA, and probably only pick up 1 or 2 lesser names. But, the Texans, since Kubes and/or Smith have been running the show, always do something in the offseason to surprise us, either in the Draft or in FA. I know it's only been 2 years since they took over (Smith 1 1/2 yrs.), but look how they have surprised us both years. The 1st year it was picking Mario in the 1st round instead of Bush. That was a shocker that angered alot of fans, but in retrospect has turned out pretty well. Then last year it was the blockbuster trade for Schaub and dumping YKW. That one surprised us too because most were thinking we would draft a QB and have him backup YKW for a couple of years.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if they pull off another shocker in the offseason. It always comes when you least expect it. JMHO!
from your lips to smith's ears.
Old 02-27-2008   #40
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 212 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Think you're spot on.
not me ! if we go with the zone system that gibbs is famous for it could mean less fullback and more hb .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read