Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2008   #1
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default free agency - any rumors?

As I sit here during offseason, I'm craving some new Texans news. When does free agency start? When can players start being signed? Is there any news around H-town as to what they are thinking.... if anything. Being in upstate NY, I'm craving some news of people we are interested in and also re-signing our own free agents. Thanks!

brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - when does it begin

Well, there is one free agent they are definately NOT interested in . . .

Look what Asante Samuel wants!
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tuesday, Feb. 26: Conclusion of NFL Scouting Combine.

Thursday, Feb. 28 (9:01 p.m., Pacific time): Beginning of free-agent signing period and trade period.

Monday, March 17: 49ers offseason condition program begins.

Sunday, March 30-Thursday, April 3: NFL Annual Meeting, Palm Beach, Fla.

Late March-Early April: 2008 regular-season schedule announced (see below).

Friday, April 18: Deadline to sign restricted free agents to offer sheets.

Saturday, April 26-Sunday, April 27: NFL Draft.

Friday May 2-Sunday, May 4: 49ers full-squad minicamp with veterans and rookies, Santa Clara (closed to the public).

Monday, May 19-Wednesday, May 21: NFL Spring Meeting, Buckhead, Ga.

Monday, June 2: 49ers organized team activities begin.

Friday, June 20: 49ers organized team activities end.

Tuesday, July 15 (1 p.m., Pacific time): Deadline to sign franchise players to offer sheets.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=733195
Old 02-24-2008   #4
brickman
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, they spend the $ wisely!
Old 02-27-2008   #5
brickman
Rookie

Default Any rumors about free agency?

With free agency beginning at midnight Thursday night, anyone hearing any rumors of anyone we are targeting in free agency. I don't plan on them spending wild money, but would like to see us go after a few pieces to help with the puzzle. Anyone have any thoughts/rumors/comments?
Old 02-27-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any rumors about free agency?

My hopes of the Texans going after a starter in free agency (preferably CB) have declined as more players are franchised or expected to demand too much loot. There may be some minor pick ups that may play a role as season progresses and injuries occur. I am hopeful that our three biggest needs LT,RB & CB will be addressed in first, third and fourth rounds. I think we may get a surprise or two from players such as Brandon Harris (safety) Brandon Frye (guard that might play tackle)Kasey Studdard (guard),Zach Diles (LB)Mike Briesel (guard) Brandon Mitchell (safety) Chris Taylor (RB) that were on team last season but did not play much or any. We can't overlook these guys.
Old 02-27-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Any rumors about free agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My hopes of the Texans going after a starter in free agency (preferably CB) have declined as more players are franchised or expected to demand too much loot. There may be some minor pick ups that may play a role as season progresses and injuries occur. I am hopeful that our three biggest needs LT,RB & CB will be addressed in first, third and fourth rounds. I think we may get a surprise or two from players such as Brandon Harris (safety) Brandon Frye (guard that might play tackle)Kasey Studdard (guard),Zach Diles (LB)Mike Briesel (guard) Brandon Mitchell (safety) Chris Taylor (RB) that were on team last season but did not play much or any. We can't overlook these guys.
I don't really know who all is left in FA, but I think Smith will def. sign a couple of lesser known players and have them compete. I think CB is being looked at very closely because any competition is good and needed. I'd love to see us take a CB in the first, or trade down, or do any number of things but the point being- It still isn't going to look that pretty having Bennett and a rookie CB starting for us! I'm really nervous about this so I think we will see some veteran guy(s) signed.

I'm interested in (I think its) Brandon Harrison from Stanford- he could end up being our safety of the future (SS??). I can't wait to see what Gibbs does with this O-Line w/ Frye, Briesel and Studdard.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2008   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agency - any rumors?

I do not see us being that active in FA this year. We have some big decisions after next season with our own folks:

2008 FA:
Dunta Robinson

2009 FA:
Demeco Ryans - I see an extension being done next year
Eric Winston - I see an extension being done next year
Chester Pitts
Charles Spencer

Sure we have some dollars available and the cap is going up incrementally year over year. Moreover, with the prospect of the owners nixing the CBA and a no cap year in 2011 I would imagine that securing folks long term under a cap will be very important, especally for those teams with a young nucleus in my opinion.

Once we get to the uncapped seasons McNair's pocketbook will be great to have to go with a secured nucleus.
Old 02-27-2008   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thursday, Feb. 28 (9:01 p.m., Pacific time): Beginning of free-agent signing period and trade period.
Who uses Pacific Time!!??? Took me an hour to take the 9 multiply by 3, divide by 2... carry the 1... ah what the hell, i give up- is that Midnight Central time!? haha only kidding...

As for the original question- the only rumor I have heard is that there was a deal in the works of us trading for a Running Back. Then that rumor kind of died and doesn't look to be valid. There is/was another rumor that we signed/have a deal in place with a Running Back. Don't know if there's any truth to that or who that player would be.

That shouldn't be a surprise though, I think there will be a lot of competition in Camp at the RB position. We have Green, Dayne (re-sign?), Walker, Taylor + we'll draft a RB probably pick up another UDFA RB, and sign a FA RB in the offseason. There's Arliss Beach- not sure if he's on the team or not but he's probably in the mix to. I just see us having no more than 4 RB's come the Reg. season and that being Green + Dayne + probably a drafted RB + probably Walker or Taylor. just my guess though
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #10
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I just see us having no more than 4 RB's come the Reg. season and that being Green + Dayne + probably a drafted RB + probably Walker or Taylor. just my guess though
Think you're spot on.
Old 02-27-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I do not see us being that active in FA this year. We have some big decisions after next season with our own folks:

2008 FA:
Dunta Robinson

2009 FA:
Demeco Ryans - I see an extension being done next year
Eric Winston - I see an extension being done next year
Chester Pitts
Charles Spencer

Sure we have some dollars available and the cap is going up incrementally year over year. Moreover, with the prospect of the owners nixing the CBA and a no cap year in 2011 I would imagine that securing folks long term under a cap will be very important, especally for those teams with a young nucleus in my opinion.

Once we get to the uncapped seasons McNair's pocketbook will be great to have to go with a secured nucleus.
I agree that this is the prudent thing to do. look for Kubiak/Smith kinda guys with Gibbs/Rhodes ties.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see us picking up a guy like Andre Dyson in FA but what do I know?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I could see us picking up a guy like Andre Dyson in FA but what do I know?
I was thinking the same thing.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

We will definitely be bringing in players, I just do not see us opening up the wallet, as in being a major player in the FA market. We have holes to fill especially at CB.

Dyson would be a good guy to bring in for the minimum. He is coming off an injury and going into his 8th year. Playing man with the Titans is something I like, but with Rhodes back there now I am not sure if this is a good fit.
Old 02-27-2008   #15
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
We do seem to do well with the Andre's! Who knows?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

what about boss bailey
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

For some reason, I don't think Dayne is going to be back. I remember hearing an interview with Kubiak (I think with the terrible Anna Megan) and he talked about all of our running backs except Dayne.

I think going into training camp we will have a FA RB, Green, drafted RB, and winner of Walker and Taylor for the last spot.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Who uses Pacific Time!!??? Took me an hour to take the 9 multiply by 3, divide by 2... carry the 1... ah what the hell, i give up- is that Midnight Central time!? haha only kidding...

As for the original question- the only rumor I have heard is that there was a deal in the works of us trading for a Running Back. Then that rumor kind of died and doesn't look to be valid. There is/was another rumor that we signed/have a deal in place with a Running Back. Don't know if there's any truth to that or who that player would be.

That shouldn't be a surprise though, I think there will be a lot of competition in Camp at the RB position. We have Green, Dayne (re-sign?), Walker, Taylor + we'll draft a RB probably pick up another UDFA RB, and sign a FA RB in the offseason. There's Arliss Beach- not sure if he's on the team or not but he's probably in the mix to. I just see us having no more than 4 RB's come the Reg. season and that being Green + Dayne + probably a drafted RB + probably Walker or Taylor. just my guess though
I think I'd be mildly upset if Dayne was brought back. Unless he'd come dirt cheap, he's not worth keeping around. The way I'd like to see things go down would be to draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Have Green, Taylor, Walker, the Rook and maybe some UDFA's go at it in camp. May the best three make the roster. Which IMO would end up like this: Green, the Rook and Taylor in no specific order.

There was just too many yards left on the field to justify bringing Dayne back. Everytime I watch a DVR'd game it aggravates the heck out of me.

Old 02-27-2008   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
For some reason, I don't think Dayne is going to be back. I remember hearing an interview with Kubiak (I think with the terrible Anna Megan) and he talked about all of our running backs except Dayne.

I think going into training camp we will have a FA RB, Green, drafted RB, and winner of Walker and Taylor for the last spot.
That is a plausible scenario.
Old 02-27-2008   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think I'd be mildly upset if Dayne was brought back. Unless he'd come dirt cheap, he's not worth keeping around. The way I'd like to see things go down would be to draft a RB in round 3 or 4. Have Green, Taylor, Walker, the Rook and maybe some UDFA's go at it in camp. May the best three make the roster. Which IMO would end up like this: Green, the Rook and Taylor in no specific order.

There was just too many yards left on the field to justify bringing Dayne back. Everytime I watch a DVR'd game it aggravates the heck out of me.

He definantly would come dirt cheap. Vet minimum most likely just like the last 2 seasons. It would cost us about 1 mil for 1 season. Thats pretty reasonable.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read