Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-23-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak speaks at combine

this has more than just combine stuff ..

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4193

Quote:
(on what position surprised him in '07) “I think our wide receivers, because going into last year everybody wanted to know what we were going to do at wide receiver and who was going to be our No. 2. They thought it was a big problem with our football team and when all was said and done, it was probably our strength. (Kevin) Walter played extremely well for us. So did André Davis. Jacoby Jones, a kid we drafted, looks like he's going to be a fine player.”

(on if the injury to WR Andre Johnson helped develop the wide receivers) “It made all those guys grow up real fast, and you never know until those guys get an opportunity. We gave a young guy like Walter an opportunity to become a starter and he responded.”

(on if T Charles Spencer will be healthy next season) “I'll put it this way, Charles is ready to go back to work. He's doing well. When we start the offseason program, he'll be right in there with the football team. When we get to OTA’s, he will be cut loose to go play. I think time will tell when he goes out there, performs as a player, he's in drills, doing football stuff again as compared to doing just rehab. We'll see how it responds. I think the jury is still out, but that he's getting close.”

(on if Spencer will stay at left tackle) “I sure hope so. We'll see how he responds.”

(on the interview process at the combine) “I think the interview process is as important as anything we do. We're going to see these kids work out, not just this weekend, but at their individual workouts. Watching them play, studying these guys, the time we spend with them, seeing how they fit with what we do and our people and our organization, what type of kids they are, how they handle themselves, that goes along way with me. I can only speak for me, but I enjoy that part of the process as much as anyone.”

(on how DE Mario Williams is doing this offseason) “I don't want to say he's changed, but he's become a big-time player. We've always known he had the ability to do that. I think Mario has found his niche with our football team. He expects a lot out of himself. The biggest thing I can tell you right now, Mario has been in on a daily basis and we've only been out six or seven weeks. Mario loves to play. We expect him to only get better. He's a key to our organization going forward and he's doing everything he can possibly do to make us better.”
Quote:
(on how DT Amobi Okoye is progressing) “He's been around. He needs to make a big jump. As I tell you, great players usually make a big jump from year one to year two, as Mario did. Amobi has to make that same jump for us to have an opportunity to compete with somebody like the Colts and the people in our division.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak speaks at combine

I don't know why Amobi wouldn't make that big jump. He showed more flash than Mario did his first year. He was a force until he ran into the wall.

I'm stoked about just watching the both of them grow. As young as both of them are, it will still be 5 or 6 years before they reach their primes.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, the Spencer thing sounds almost... positive..
Old 02-24-2008   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't know why Amobi wouldn't make that big jump. He showed more flash than Mario did his first year. He was a force until he ran into the wall.

I'm stoked about just watching the both of them grow. As young as both of them are, it will still be 5 or 6 years before they reach their primes.
I agree, just imagine if Mario and Amobi both raise their sack totals and pressuring the QB, our DB's will look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Yes, good news indeed.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Kubes left himself PLENTY of wriggle room on Spencer. I'm starting to believe in the "Curse of Boselli".
I'm gonna have to up my Prozac til draft day rolls around!!!
Old 02-24-2008   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure, I know the history of reporting on players injuries. This is the first time that I hear someone saying that he'll be in camp showing us what he has left after the injury. That, IMO, is MUCH better than 'we're optimistic'
Old 02-24-2008   #7
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

If spencer makes it all the way back that kills the talk of drafting a Tackle high in the draft.
Old 02-24-2008   #8
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
If spencer makes it all the way back that kills the talk of drafting a Tackle high in the draft.
Not necessarily. He'll still be VASTLY oversized, if he can lose some of that weight, then yes.
Old 02-24-2008   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Huh?

The draft is in April. You won't know if Spencer makes it all the way back, until the end of training camp in August.

The smart play is to act, in April, as if Spencer is never coming back.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Not necessarily. He'll still be VASTLY oversized, if he can lose some of that weight, then yes.
In his case, size hasn't been an issue. When he was healthy he was vey light on his feet with great lateral movement, not to mention a punch that would stop a charging Rhino. I suspect that your thinking of Gibbs and his WCO type of lineman. It isn't so much the size of them as it is how well they move and get to the second level. I'm sure he wouldn't turn down a guy that's 350 just to have a guy that's 300 if the 350 guy was just as fast or faster than the 300 guy. My fear on Spencer is that he will have lost the lateral speed and that will likely mean moving to guard. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just that he looked like he was going to be special at LT. From what I understand, he will need some seriouse conditioning though to get ready to actually play.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #11
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh?

The draft is in April. You won't know if Spencer makes it all the way back, until the end of training camp in August.

This is absolutely correct. You can always switch a tackle to guard, but you can't always switch a guard to tackle.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008   #12
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
This is absolutely correct. You can always switch a tackle to guard, but you can't always switch a guard to tackle.
Very true. Let's not count on Spencer being our savior at LT. He would be an outstanding candidate for our RG position at this time, but not worth throwing all our eggs in a basket as a LT. Let's not make the same mistake 3 err...4 times.
Old 02-25-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Kubes left himself PLENTY of wriggle room on Spencer. I'm starting to believe in the "Curse of Boselli".
I'm gonna have to up my Prozac til draft day rolls around!!!
agreed. I want to see the stone rolled away and the grave empty befor I invest any more hope in the long shots. And that is what Charles Spencer is at this moment a long shot. Might be the spark creating the smoke for the Rb trade rumor. They gotta have a CB. RB on board means they don't have to take a RB or be tempted by one while every one else is gobbling them up early in the draft. means they can take the corners or the lineman...bang , bang.
Old 02-25-2008   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh?

Rep left.

I absolutely agree with what you've said. I'm almost certain that Spencer WILL make it back and he'll be a force to be rekoned with but I absolutely would not be happy with the Texans if we don't address the LT need.

If Spencer returns, FREAKING AWESOME! But if we took a quality LT and he's performed well, Spencer would be a LUXURY if he returned and that's how a team builds depth. I'm not saying Spencer would be a backup or anything but he would definitely bolster his value. If we found a replacement, Spencer becomes expendible and we all know that LTs are a valuable commodity in the NFL. We would be able to at least get something valuable in exchange for him. We have to remember the Matt Schaub trade. If they had done this correctly, the Falcons have absolutely gotten their money's worth out of him! He was drafted in the third round and they got two seconds for him. Spencer was drafted in the third... I'll let you make your own assumptions from this point on.

I'm just trying to say that even if we had the best LT in the league, I still wouldn't be upset if the Texans selected ANOTHER LT in the first round. I believe they're THAT valuable in the NFL.

Worst case if Spencer returns and we take a LT starter who's able to overtake Spencer... we'd be looking at some mad depth! A team may be able to accumulate the best starting lineup at a certain position but it means nothing if you've got noone to relieve them.

We MUST move forward assuming that Charles Spencer will NOT return.
Old 02-25-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
In his case, size hasn't been an issue. When he was healthy he was vey light on his feet with great lateral movement, not to mention a punch that would stop a charging Rhino. I suspect that your thinking of Gibbs and his WCO type of lineman. It isn't so much the size of them as it is how well they move and get to the second level. I'm sure he wouldn't turn down a guy that's 350 just to have a guy that's 300 if the 350 guy was just as fast or faster than the 300 guy. My fear on Spencer is that he will have lost the lateral speed and that will likely mean moving to guard. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just that he looked like he was going to be special at LT. From what I understand, he will need some seriouse conditioning though to get ready to actually play.
Guards need as much or more footspeed than tackles do in this zbs. I'd even say that great guard play is more important than great tackle play in this scheme. I think the key to having a great zbs is to have excellent guard play. You can have average Tackle play if your guard play is good since most of our passing comes off play action.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #16
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guards need as much or more footspeed than tackles do in this zbs. I'd even say that great guard play is more important than great tackle play in this scheme. I think the key to having a great zbs is to have excellent guard play. You can have average Tackle play if your guard play is good since most of our passing comes off play action.
Do you think (if healthy) that Spencer is a candidate for our system? Is he quick enough in other words?
Old 02-25-2008   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
Do you think (if healthy) that Spencer is a candidate for our system? Is he quick enough in other words?
he was before his injury....we'll see soon. Heck, Pitts is 330 and gets to the second level as easily as a Man 30 pounds lighter.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #18
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he was before his injury....we'll see soon. Heck, Pitts is 330 and gets to the second level as easily as a Man 30 pounds lighter.
Let's hope that he hasn't lost his mobility. LT or guard, I really don't care, we need him. But I do agree that you approach free agency and the draft as if he wasn't going to be ready. If he is, it's a luxury.
Old 02-25-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We enterred last season thinking WR was a weakness. LT could be a strength by game one. I could see Spencer and Salaam battling for starter and a draft pick learning the game from Gibbs and not having pressure to immediately start. I see that in Tony Hill in third round. If Hill comes on strong, a decision could be made later in season what to do with surplus. Bye, bye Jordan Black!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read