Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2008   #1
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are one of these backs on the Texans radar?

Well since there is some debate over if the Texans should draft a RB in the first or not I figured I would post the opinion of one sports writer about the backs that could be had in the 3rd round of the draft. He groups the backs into 3 groups but I'll only post his 3rd group.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...=nfl-ed_0222NL

Quote:
Group Three
1. Chris Johnson, East Carolina. Johnson told me a few weeks ago that a 4.2 40 time is in the plans for this spring. He had 125 receptions in his college career and could be a bigger version of Brian Westbrook. If he lasts until the third round, he will be a steal.

2. Mike Hart, Michigan. A workhorse like DeAngelo Williams was in college, Hart had 1,015 carries for the Wolverines for 5,040 yards and 41 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 67 passes. His stock is a bit down, as one college scouting director is concerned he had too much wear and tear on the college gridiron.

3. Kevin Smith, Central Florida. Smith rushed for 2,567 yards last season and, at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, he has the body to take a beating. His speed is the big question. If he runs a 4.5, his stock will rise quickly. One NFL scout thought he had a chance for an Edgerrin James-type career -- not a lot of big explosive runs, but steady and effective.

With all the young talent pouring into the NFL this spring, it will not be a good year for the veteran backs hoping free agency delivers a big contract. I didn't even put Tashard Choice (Georgia Tech) or Matt Forte (Tulane) in a group and there are a few teams thinking they could be an answer.

The teams getting excited about the 2008 running back class should include -- but not be restricted to -- Detroit, Houston, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Arizona, Cleveland, Chicago, and the Jets. I asked one offensive coordinator about his running back situation, which is poor to say the least, and he said, "Only one team is going to get Michael Turner from the Chargers in free agency, but the more tape I watch, the less concerned I am if we don't get him."

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are one of these backs on the Texans radar?

"I asked one offensive coordinator about his running back situation, which is poor to say the least, and he said, "Only one team is going to get Michael Turner from the Chargers in free agency, but the more tape I watch, the less concerned I am if we don't get him."

Think it was Jr. Shananigans?
Old 02-23-2008   #3
tex
Veteran

Don't think so Texans have said no big $$$ for big name players.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I don't really think a 3rd round back would get big $$$.
Old 02-23-2008   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty sure he was talking about Turner. I'm not so sure on the guy myself either.

What scares me is he might land in Tenn. I remember them being really interested in Turner last year and if he becomes reasonable with his contract, understands its a deep rookie class, and can stand a second class organization like Tenn. He'll land there. Like we need more talent in this division.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Pretty sure he was talking about Turner. I'm not so sure on the guy myself either.

What scares me is he might land in Tenn. I remember them being really interested in Turner last year and if he becomes reasonable with his contract, understands its a deep rookie class, and can stand a second class organization like Tenn. He'll land there. Like we need more talent in this division.
Why would the Tacks go for an RB.........they already have VY.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #7
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

But if we're not sure on the guy, why not have him land in our division?

I'm just saying...
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
"Only one team is going to get Michael Turner from the Chargers in free agency, but the more tape I watch, the less concerned I am if we don't get him."
I'd like to know how Turner can look so bad averaging 5.5 ypc, mainly running between the tackles? He might want to keep watching tape.
Old 02-23-2008   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'd like to know how Turner can look so bad averaging 5.5 ypc, mainly running between the tackles? He might want to keep watching tape.
I bet that person was trying to low sell MT so that his team could get MT cheaper. MT would actually be a great fit for us because he takes the ball and goes forward. He also has great breakaway speed, but can still run between the tackles. Also, he has very little tread on the ol tires since he backed up possibly the best RB the league has seen this decade.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Also, he has very little tread on the ol tires since he backed up possibly the best RB the league has seen this decade.
Dude, MT backs up LT not Reggie Bush.
Old 02-23-2008   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Why would the Tacks go for an RB.........they already have VY.
Cause lendale can't throw either?

Ricky I think what bothers me most is they're realizing Vince isn't going to be a proficient passer anytime soon and could very well use the same format as Jacksonville. Run two backs and don't ask the QB to do a whole lot and give him he after thought of making plays with his legs. Both teams as well could very well be looking WR first round.

If Turner does elect to go to Tenn.... I think it should be a pressing for RS for a bigger space eating DT. Otherwise we could be looking at another 1-6 record in our division. That won't get us into the playoffs.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #12
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I bet that person was trying to low sell MT so that his team could get MT cheaper.
Now that is an interesting theory....

Never even crossed my mind. I suppose I would really suck at the gamesmanship that occurs in the league.
Old 02-23-2008   #13
Houston TexanUK
Rookie

Quote:

If Turner does elect to go to Tenn.... I think it should be a pressing for RS for a bigger space eating DT. Otherwise we could be looking at another 1-6 record in our division. That won't get us into the playoffs.
Having a 1-6 record in the division is impressive seeing as there is only 6 games.

I wouldnt mind Smith in the mid 3rd round, but the issue is, if he runs a sub 4.5 at the combine, do we take him earlier?
Houston TexanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #14
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm not sure, but my 1st thought when I read that quote was that he, the OC, was watching tape of the RB's coming out in this Draft, and wasn't worried about getting Turner because the RB crop was deep. Just a thought. Not sure if that's what he meant or not.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I'm not sure, but my 1st thought when I read that quote was that he, the OC, was watching tape of the RB's coming out in this Draft, and wasn't worried about getting Turner because the RB crop was deep. Just a thought. Not sure if that's what he meant or not.
That's a more sensible interpretation.
Old 02-23-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Don't take that as the bible you know how all teams blow smoke and i definately think the Texans will be very active and will give big money to at least a Corner Back or DE in free agnecy and the first pick will go on a running back.
Old 02-23-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Don't take that as the bible you know how all teams blow smoke and i definately think the Texans will be very active and will give big money to at least a Corner Back or DE in free agnecy and the first pick will go on a running back.
I don't think any cb will be worth as much as they're going to be asking which means the Texans need to draft not just one but two corners. one who can play cover 2 straight up & a 2nd who is big, physical that projects to FS. Flowers fits the later while hitting on another like Bennett in the 4th would be optimal

far as RB on Texans radar look for someone later, like 5th/6th rd too.

Corey Boyd, South Carolina 6000 220
Allen Patrick, Oklahoma 6000 200
Chauncey Washington, USC 5110 215
Jacob Hester, LSU 5105 230
Peyton Hillis, Arkansas 6007 239

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #18
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dude, MT backs up LT not Reggie Bush.
Ha Ha Ha! You are so right. I stand corrected. How could I forget about the greatness of RB. I mean he is so amazing that his initials match his position. Thus, whenever we discuss rbs, we will inevitably compare them to the man whose name since synonymous with rbs: RB!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Johnson's med exams revealed a neck injury/condition of some sort. There were reports that he 'failed his physical.' His stock is dropping, at least temporarily until the details of the medical condition are understood by those who need to know.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #20
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2924 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a guy that will slide to the late rounds that I really like:

Xavier Oman RB NW Missouri State 5' 11, 220 lbs 4.5 40yd. First back in NCAA history to rush for 1500 yrds in each of 4 seasons. 2007 stats 2,327 yds rushing with 38 tds.

MVP of the Texas vs. Nation game with 9 carries for 91 yds.

This guy is the spitting image of Jamal Lewis. I have him on my mock drafts for the Browns. 15th rated RB in draft-late round steal!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read