Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2008   #1
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tommy Blake article

Interesting read from Sportingnews. Hope the kid gets it together.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=352085
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tommy Blake article

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Interesting read from Sportingnews. Hope the kid gets it together.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=352085
I actually get TSN magazine and read it and then sent this to my parents. Since I went to TCU and my Mom worked there there is alot of info going around. My folks still go to all the games and were saddened by what happened this year. If you look at guy slike Underwood and Spellman you realize how having talent and not being on the meds can hurt big time. I really hope he comes all the way back around. It sounds like the 300 calls a day is what put him over the edge.
Old 02-22-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Definitely worth the read... thanks for posting the link.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #4
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

If he performs ok at the combine or his ProDay I really hope the Texans draft him if he is available in the 5th round or later.

He is a beast when fit.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
If he performs ok at the combine or his ProDay I really hope the Texans draft him if he is available in the 5th round or later.

He is a beast when fit.
I wish the Texans were able to take a shot at a guy like that, but we just dont have that luxury right now.

We have too many needs to take that chance.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #6
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

What a great story. It really gave me some clarification as to what was going on with Tommy Blake. Just last year, he was a lock to go in the first round. It's amazing what can happen in a year. Most importantely, I really hope he has gotten control of his life and is able to understand that having a social anxiety disorder is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure there's more to the story, but you can't help but root for a guy with that much potential.

Unfortunantly, because of Ricky Williams (another diagnosed social anxiety disorder), many teams might not give him the time of day. Let's hope his future is brighter than the path of the ex-Longhorn.
Old 03-07-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...mmy-blake.html

update: surely this moves him back up a couple rounds

Quote:
But Blake took his first step toward rebuilding his draft stock at TCU's pro day Thursday when he showed up weighing 272 pounds and ran his 40-yard dashes in the upper 4.7s.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2008   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

bi-po@lr loose c@non ? T@ke @ lot of love to dr@ft the guy. Wh@t's the n@me of the O@kl@nd center who went off the reserv@tion during Super bowl week ? Ended up 'cross the border ?
Super Bowl XXXVII...

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-08-2008 at 03:57 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
bi-po@lr loose c@non ? T@ke @ lot of love to dr@ft the guy. Wh@t's the n@me of the O@kl@nd center who went off the revsertion during Super bowl week ? Ended up 'cross the border ?
Super Bowl XXXVII...
Barrett Robbins.

Former Cowboy & Bear DE Alonzo Spellman also has a bi-polar disorder. Statistical logic tells me that there are other NFL players with bi-polar or social anxiety disorders that we don't hear about. Probably because they stay on the meds. Who is to say that Blake can't do the same? I think Blake was fortunate that he was diagnoised when he was.
Old 03-07-2008   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Barrett Robbins.

Former Cowboy & Bear DE Alonzo Spellman also has a bi-polar disorder. Statistical logic tells me that there are other NFL players with bi-polar or social anxiety disorders that we don't hear about. Probably because they stay on the meds. Who is to say that Blake can't do the same? I think Blake was fortunate that he was diagnoised when he was.
I think Blake's early diagnosis coupled with the imressive amount of work he has put in, and in a short time, will do nothing but improve his status among NFL perssonal people.

I'm pulling for the guy, and I would be quite happy if he ended up a Texan.

When Tommy Blake is on his game, the kid is an absolute monster.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 03-07-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Blake's early diagnosis coupled with the imressive amount of work he has put in, and in a short time, will do nothing but improve his status among NFL perssonal people.

I'm pulling for the guy, and I would be quite happy if he would up a Texan.

When Tommy Blake is on his game, the kid is an absolute monster.
Agree. As I said above I have part of my family that has really followed the guy and my Mom and I were always talking about how talented he is. I hope he gets drafted late and then tears it up.
Old 03-07-2008   #12
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He is a beast when fit.
Agreed if he's there in the fifth i wouldn't mind taking a shot at him. We do need a DE opposite of Mario. Houston also has some world class healthcare facilities that i bet could assist him greatly.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #13
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 3952 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tommy Blake is one of those risks that could either be great or not. Given his close relationship with his family, I would think playing in Houston or Dallas would be best for him. His work-outs are getting better and better. If we could move down in the fourth and pick-up an extra 5th, that seems like a good spot to gamble on a player like him--late 4th or early 5th.

If we keep a guy like ND Kalu he would seem to be a good mentor for Tommy.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tommy Blake Frog Pro d@y

http://www.gbnreport.com/index.htm
(10:00 AM): TCU DE coming along… After a tumultuous season in which he took two medical leaves of absence, TCU DE Tommy Blake had a decent performance at the Horned Frogs‘ pro day workout yesterday. Blake, who was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder this past season, weighed in at 272 pounds, down from the out-of-shape 287 he registered at the Shrine game earlier this year. Blake, though, says he is working to take off another 10-12 pounds to get closer to his old college playing weight of 255 pounds. Blake ran a hand-held time of 4.75 in the 40, had 23 reps pressing 225-pounds and had a 30.5 VL, each of which would have put him among the leaders at the position at the combine. Fellow TCU DE Chase Ortiz ran a 4.92 in the 40 and had a 31“ VL. Ortiz also performed some LB drills. Meanwhile, DB Brian Bonner ran a 4.60 in the 40-yard dash and a 34-inch VL, while DB David Roach, something of an emerging sleeper prospect, had a 38.5 vertical jump, but stood on his 40 time (4.53) and bench press (16 reps) numbers from the combine.

Elsewhere, Missouri WR Will Franklin put on another athletic performance at the Tigers‘ pro day. After running a very quick 4.37 40 at the combine in Indianapolis last month, Franklin had a VL of 40.5 inches and a standing broad jump of 10-11 yesterday. Missouri CB Darnell Terrell ran a 4.47 40 and reportedly had some scouts wondering if he could play WR. New Mexico WR Travis Brown reportedly was able to improve on a somewhat disappointing 4.65 40 time at the combine, running in the 4.5 range at the Lobos’ pro day. Lobo WR Marcus Smith also reportedly time in the low 4.5 range, while OT Devin Clark got under 5.3 seconds in the 40 after timing closer to 5.4 at the combine.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 03-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #15
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the update TTP, I missed that one. I think he can make it if he's put in the right environment. The kid is not a problem in the clubhouse, never has been. He's had a tough, tough life, and has always taken the high road, doing what is best. He'll get through this and make someone look really good for drafting him.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read