Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-22-2008   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL trade/FA rumors (draftdaddy.com)

Maybe the most intriguing rumor is DeAngelo Hall going to the Super Bowl champs for the last pick in the 1st round.

Quote:
The New York Giants are rumored to have completed a deal Thursday Night at St. Elmo's Steak House to send pick number 31 to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for disgruntled, but talented, cornerback DeAngelo Hall. Again, that's a hot rumor, but our main source has not confirmed it yet.
Has Jerry Jones heard about this? I would have to think he'd want to get into a bidding war to prevent a talent like Hall going to a division rival.

Also, Javon Walker may be heading to Tampa Bay. I hope this is true, as I was concerned he might end up in the AFC South with the Titans or the Jags. According to the site, Tennessee is interested in Bernard Berrian.

Charger UFA RB Michael Turner is having trouble finding a suitor in his price range.
Quote:
Mike Turner's (Chargers tailback) people are not happy here in Indy. Apparently his agent has been told precisely what I expected -- the draft is loaded with tailbacks and teams in dire need at running back will draft one. The one team that might be his buyer is New Orleans, because Deuce's recovery has hit some snags, according to their trainers. The Steelers like Turner alot, but they don't like the numbers he is looking for. Arizona, reportedly, loves him but can't afford to even buy groceries on their cap. They just had to cut three players to get a little wiggle room.
After signing Ahman Green last year, I realize it would be a hard sell to Bob McNair to go after another FA RB. But, I think Michael Turner would be such a good fit for the Texans. He runs as hard as any RB in the league. He's the type of back an offensive line loves to block for, and a defense hates to tackle. You won't see Gary Brackett dropping back 20 yards on a play action fake to Turner. I really hope his price drops enough to enable the Texans to consider signing him.
Old 02-22-2008   #2
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL trade/FA rumors (draftdaddy.com)

His price has to drop or he may not find a home at all.
Old 02-22-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
SHAUN GETTING THE SHAFT?

We're hearing multiple rumblings from our connections at the Scouting Combine that the Seahawks could be cutting running back Shaun Alexander soon.

A media source told us moments ago that the move could come "in the next couple of days."

It would be the last step in a dramatic fall from grace for the NFL's MVP in 2005. Once Alexander got rewarded with a big contract in 2006, his performance began to dip. In 2007, he was, as the league insider types say, "just a guy."

Alexander is under contract through 2013, with total remaining non-guaranteed base salaries of $43.1625 million.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I saw that rumor too Ole Miss. IF big IF he does get cut we might have found a trade down partner if that's what we want to do.

Question becomes then who we target with their first round pick? Rogers-Cromartie?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Having been denied a chance to improve their secondary with free-agent acquisitions, the New York Giants have turned their attention to a trade for Atlanta Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

News of the Giants' attention to Hall comes via the Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J., in its Friday edition. To get Hall, the Giants would be willing to swap their first-round pick in April's draft, the newspaper reports.

Observers see the secondary as the Giants' weakest area, despite being good enough to help the team upset the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 42. Hall would become a shutdown cornerback to pair with third-year veteran Corey Webster. Aaron Ross, a surprise in the playoffs, improved during his rookie season but isn't viewed as ready to become a starter.

The team is expected to shed veterans Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters to create salary-cap room.

If the team obtains Hall, the Star-Ledger reports, it will work out a long-term deal with him to make his salary more cap-friendly.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=356517
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Would RW McQuarters or Sam Madison be an option for us?

Isn't Madison like 56 or 57? Getting a bit long in the tooth for a CB if I remember correctly....
Old 02-22-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Would RW McQuarters or Sam Madison be an option for us?

Isn't Madison like 56 or 57? Getting a bit long in the tooth for a CB if I remember correctly....
I'm thinking that McQuarters is no better than any of the CB's we already have manning the spot. Madison could be an option, but as you stated he is getting old.

Listening to Giants fans, they are as happy about McQuarters getting cut, as we were to hear about P-burnt getting the axe.

EDIT: The real FA that we want to go after from the Giants is Gibril Wilson (Or whatever Wilson it is that plays SS for them).
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm thinking that McQuarters is no better than any of the CB's we already have manning the spot. Madison could be an option, but as you stated he is getting old.

Listening to Giants fans, they are as happy about McQuarters getting cut, as we were to hear about P-burnt getting the axe.

EDIT: The real FA that we want to go after from the Giants is Gibril Wilson (Or whatever Wilson it is that plays SS for them).
Is that possible?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Hall has been said to be a walking locker room cancer by some. But keep in mind, though, that a lot of negative things were going on in Atlanta far before the public got hold of it and before the team "imploded."...........the state of affairs for the team as a whole was a continuous cauldron of turmoil. Others spoke out, but Hall was the highest profile. He IS a shut down CB. If there is consideration on Hall/Atlanta's part to deal for a trade for the bottom of the 1st round pick, then, I say Hall would be a young instant ready-to-start polished beast that would be more than any CB talent that could be obtained in the draft at ANY pick. If this deal can be had, the Texans should drive hard for it.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're gonna differ on how good Hall really is.

You call him a shut-down CB, but I would call him a playmaking CB.

To be honest, he doesn't shut many people down. His technique can be downright awful at time. His AMAZING speed saves his ass constantly, but not always. But, he does have really soft hands & gets more than his fair share of INTs.

I'd be a liar if I said he wouldn't be an instant upgrade for our team, but I dont want any part of his "character" or attitude on the Texans.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We're gonna differ on how good Hall really is.

You call him a shut-down CB, but I would call him a playmaking CB.

To be honest, he doesn't shut many people down. His technique can be downright awful at time. His AMAZING speed saves his ass constantly, but not always. But, he does have really soft hands & gets more than his fair share of INTs.

I'd be a liar if I said he wouldn't be an instant upgrade for our team, but I dont want any part of his "character" or attitude on the Texans.

Look at Atlanta's entire D..........put any CB in that environment and he can be made to look like a buffoon............put a great CB in that environment and he is made to look "untouchable" at times and revert to buffoon status all too often. Again, I would consider Hall a shut-down CB in a supported environment. And BTW with all the "changes" and the lack of competent ownership, coaching and player personel, if I were a talented entity, I too would be demonstrating a less than stellar attitude.

I repeat, the Texans would do well to actively pursue this type of talent........This is one case where attitude is very likely to show immediate change with a reasonable change of venue.
Old 02-23-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Look at Atlanta's entire D..........put any CB in that environment and he can be made to look like a buffoon............put a great CB in that environment and he is made to look "untouchable" at times and revert to buffoon status all too often. Again, I would consider Hall a shut-down CB in a supported environment. And BTW with all the "changes" and the lack of competent ownership, coaching and player personel, if I were a talented entity, I too would be demonstrating a less than stellar attitude.

I repeat, the Texans would do well to actively pursue this type of talent........This is one case where attitude is very likely to show immediate change with a reasonable change of venue.
Question then becomes.... what are you willing to give for Hall?

G-men willing to give their first but that's the last pick of the first for proven talent.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Question then becomes.... what are you willing to give for Hall?

G-men willing to give their first but that's the last pick of the first for proven talent.
I would have no problem with our #18 pick going for the "proven talent." I would have a problem, though, with a "break the bank" dollar number to go with the deal.

If this PFT report is correct, there will be no trade..........and, certainly, not with the Texans:

Quote:
TRADE FOR HALL WILL BE HARD

Despite reports of talks between the Falcons and the Giants regarding a trade of cornerback DeAngelo Hall to the defending Super Bowl champs, a league source tells us that Hall's contract will make a trade with New York, or any team, a difficult proposition.

Though Hall has said he won't insist on a new contract as part of a trade, no one will be willing to give up a first-round draft pick for a guy who is signed for only one more year.

And with Hall, as we hear it, hoping to make $10 million per year as part of his new deal, the thinking is that no one would be willing to give up that kind of money and a first-round draft pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read