Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-21-2008   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario's Combine Tips

Mario took the time to go through what he did to prepare for the Combine. It's a decent read.

Quote:
No one appreciates the power of this pressure-packed, all-important circus like Mario Williams, perhaps the biggest story to emerge from the combine in recent years. Back in '06, the North Carolina State defensive end was a talented athlete whose game left many football types scratching their heads.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...sam&id=3242617
Old 02-21-2008   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams' guide to the combine

Quote:
Oh, and why on God's green turf did the Houston Texans select Williams first overall in the '06 draft, ahead of Heisman winner Reggie Bush and hometown hero Vince Young? One headline declared the decision to be a "Texans-sized blunder." Others weren't as kind.

Quote:
Today, Houston has reason to celebrate. Its top pick recorded 14 sacks, 59 tackles, two forced fumbles and a touchdown in a Pro Bowl-worthy '07 campaign. Meanwhile, Bush's career 3.7 yards per carry and Young's 69.0 career passer rating leave much to be desired. At this juncture, it seems the Texans made the right call. And they made that call based on what they witnessed over a few long days in February.
To read the entire article, Click Here

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario's Combine Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Mario took the time to go through what he did to prepare for the Combine. It's a decent read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...sam&id=3242617
Ah you must have started on your thread right before I started mine.

Merge or delete mine.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"The stupidest question I got was from the Broncos' head coach [Mike Shanahan]. He comes out and asks me if I'm tough. I'm thinking, 'Man, that's the dumbest question anyone's ever asked me.' But I said, 'Hell yeah, I'm tough.' What am I supposed to say?
Hahahaha
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #5
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

two or three days ago, I saw mario williams driving a brand new dark blue corvette z06... all 505 horses that seven liter churns out punched me in the ears. we were on woodway, and i pulled up next to him.... i looked over and didn't believe who the hell i saw...

i wanted some cool hand signal to throw at him, you know chunk him the deuce or something... show him i'm hip, etc. i must've been experiencing the deaf person's version of speechlessness because my fingers didn't respond. i ended up throwing him one of these: \m/ (the ones you see at rock concerts)... but then i realized it was the hook 'em horns thingy too... tactless...

so then i gave him a salute and drove off. he totally acknowledged my existence.

[edit] - So, after browsing wikipeepeea i found an entire article devoted to this hand signal... called the corna ... originated in ancient greece. means the devil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corna

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 02-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From the ESPiN artilcle linked above:

Quote:
Why did Williams net a mere 11 sacks over his final 23 games? Why did this All-ACC pass-rusher -- who had 10 of his 14˝ sacks in '05 in just three games -- tally only 16 in his 36 overall appearances for the Wolfpack?
Just how math challenged are the folks up in Bristol? If Mario had 14.5 sacks in his final season ('05), how did he manage just 11 in his final 23 games? Actually, Mario finished his career at NC State with 25.5 sacks, not the 16 ESPiN alloted him.

But as they say, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

P.S. That last link of Mario's college sack total is courtesy of Stephanie Stradley (aka Texans Chick) when she blogged for the Chronic. That the Chronic sees fit to credit another blogger for her work is shameless. Yet, typical of their work.
Old 02-21-2008   #7
austintexanite
All Pro

Nice little read there fellas, he has some good tips for linemen.
Old 02-21-2008   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Just how math challenged are the folks up in Bristol? If Mario had 14.5 sacks in his final season ('05), how did he manage just 11 in his final 23 games? Actually, Mario finished his career at NC State with 25.5 sacks, not the 16 ESPiN alloted him.

P.S. That last link of Mario's college sack total is courtesy of Stephanie Stradley (aka Texans Chick) when she blogged for the Chronic. That the Chronic sees fit to credit another blogger for her work is shameless. Yet, typical of their work.
That has pissed me off for over a year now. how the hell can they get away with that Bullshit is beyond belief and reason. Plagiarism is what it is, even if it is a blog. Just another reason to hate the Chronicle as nothing more than fish wrap or moving wrap, other wise worthless.
Old 02-21-2008   #9
CT CSTM
Rookie

Rep Power: 70 CT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respectedCT CSTM is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
two or three days ago, I saw mario williams driving a brand new dark blue corvette z06... all 505 horses that seven liter churns out punched me in the ears. we were on woodway, and i pulled up next to him.... i looked over and didn't believe who the hell i saw...

Must have been his Viper Venom,,,he doesn't have a Vette,,,it is loud, it is fast and it is nice,,,double the above horsepower and you're talking about the right car!:elle:
Old 02-21-2008   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
What made that tougher was at the same time, the Texans had to split the room with the Broncos. Sometimes you need to share time because there are so many players and teams."
Good god, can we please seperate from the Broncos?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Good god, can we please seperate from the Broncos?
Chill out, that was two years ago before we hired Smith.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #12
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post

i wanted some cool hand signal to throw at him, you know chunk him the deuce or something... show him i'm hip, etc. i must've been experiencing the deaf person's version of speechlessness because my fingers didn't respond. i ended up throwing him one of these: \m/ (the ones you see at rock concerts)... but then i realized it was the hook 'em horns thingy too... tactless...

so then i gave him a salute and drove off. he totally acknowledged my existence.

[edit] - So, after browsing wikipeepeea i found an entire article devoted to this hand signal... called the corna ... originated in ancient greece. means the devil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corna
I ran into him at Petsmart a while back. He was buying dog food for his pitbulls. He was in front of me in line and we had a chat about young dogs and their high energy level. BTW, he is absolutely gorgeous in person. Too bad he is way too young for me.
Old 02-22-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I ran into him at Petsmart a while back. He was buying dog food for his pitbulls. He was in front of me in line and we had a chat about young dogs and their high energy level. BTW, he is absolutely gorgeous in person. Too bad he is way too young for me.
What's up with players and pitbulls??

I see Kubiak quite often, but am always reluctant to confront him with a barrage of questions. One of these days I'm going to tackle him and ask him every question I have.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 02-22-2008 at 09:29 AM.
HOU-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great...more pitbulls. What's up with players and pitbulls??

I see Kubiak quite often, but am always reluctant to confront him with a barrage of questions. One of these days I'm going to tackle him and ask him every question I have.
What's wrong with pitbulls?

One of my best friends has one & there isnt a nicer dog in the world.

The problem isnt the dogs, its the thugs & morons who own them.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
What's wrong with pitbulls?

One of my best friends has one & there isnt a nicer dog in the world.

The problem isnt the dogs, its the thugs & morons who own them.
I never said there was anything wrong with them. "What's up with players and pitbulls?"

In other words, why do so many football players choose pitbulls as a pet?

Let's not try to spin this into anything it's not, please.:elle:
Old 02-22-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said there was anything wrong with them. "What's up with players and pitbulls?"

In other words, why do so many football players choose pitbulls as a pet?

Let's not try to spin this into anything it's not, please.:elle:
Thats fine. I guess I just took issue with this.

Quote:
Great...more pitbulls. What's up with players and pitbulls??
It just looked like you didnt approve of players owning pitbulls.

I'm not trying to get in your head, thats just what it looked like to me.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #17
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Nicest dog on Earth until they eat the neighbor's daughter. I've heard a dog bite is as good as a gunshot in court. The only thing they are good for is hog dogs, and the life expectancy is pretty low for that.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's end the dog discussion here. There are other forums available if you wish to continue this topic.
Old 02-22-2008   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I wrote about the ESPN guy, but didn't point out the strangeness of the stat paragraph, though I thought about it. In my version of the article, I just pointed out he had fat college stats but that his combine effort put him over the top.

Combine Tips From Mario Williams: Don't Say Mike Shanahan's Questions Are Dumb

I did email the author and asked him about that odd paragraph. I will let you know if I got a response.

As for my old blog posts having someone else's byline on them, I was told by the Chronicle staff that there was no way to fix that. Their blog software is pretty rudimentary, and at some point they are going to have to upgrade all of it because in comparison to their competitors, it is pretty ugly and basic looking.

In small letters at the bottom, it says that entry was posted by me.

The funny thing was that when I first started blogging, I wanted to do it without my name or picture on the byline. They said that they couldn't do that, because they are a newspaper, and a newspaper is all about accuracy and standing behind what you write.

But of course, the irony all my old posts now have someone else's name and picture on them. Good thing I spent so much time putting them together for no pay, and now no credit.

It isn't TH's fault. I can't imagine he is fond of having posts about cute Texans stuff to wear having his name on them.
Old 02-22-2008   #20
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It isn't TH's fault. I can't imagine he is fond of having posts about cute Texans stuff to wear having his name on them.
Well, he's very fortunate to have your research under his name. That's all I'm saying.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read