Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-21-2008   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chris Williams

per draft daddy
Quote:
"One of our inside sources in Indianapolis has told us the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders are showing serious interest in former Vanderbilt tackle Chris Williams.... Per the source, Williams is a likely 2nd round pick, at this point, but we think the intelligent (31 wonderlic), hard-working and nimble offensive tackle is a first round caliber athlete. Sort of a modern day Mark May, who will play and excel for a long time in the NFL."
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Chris Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
per draft daddy

"One of our inside sources in Indianapolis has told us the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders are showing serious interest in former Vanderbilt tackle Chris Williams.... Per the source, Williams is a likely 2nd round pick, at this point, but we think the intelligent (31 wonderlic), hard-working and nimble offensive tackle is a first round caliber athlete. Sort of a modern day Mark May, who will play and excel for a long time in the NFL."
congrats on first serious rumor.....Miami, Oakland & Atlanta not targeting Jake Long I'm thinking now which one would I prefer to trade down with

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
congrats on first serious rumor.....Miami, Oakland & Atlanta not targeting Jake Long I'm thinking now which one would I prefer to trade down with
Atlanta's twos?
Old 02-21-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Atlanta's twos?
I think it is extremely unlikely that the Falcons attempt to trade up with their two 2nd round draft choices. Let me explain:

One, the Falcons are a terrible team. They aren't one player away from being good. They aren't even two players from being good. Terrible teams are more likely to amass draft picks, rather than trade them away.

Two, the Falcons just released several veterans. More could be cut loose. These players will need to be replaced, and the easiest method of re-stocking is through the draft. They need as many draft choices as they can get.

Three, the Falcons recently hired Tom Dimitroff as their GM. Dimitroff has schooled under Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli for the past 6 years as the Patriots director of college scouting. And the Patriots are known for trading back and acquiring additional picks. Not moving up by packaging picks. I expect Dimitroff will have a similar philosophy in Atlanta.

P.S. FWIW, I expect Williams to go to either Denver, Chicago, or Detroit in the 1st round. Before the Texans get a chance to draft or trade away his rights.

Last edited by Lucky; 02-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think it is extremely unlikely that the Falcons attempt to trade up with their two 2nd round draft choices. Let me explain:

One, the Falcons are a terrible team. They aren't one player away from being good. They aren't even two players from being good. Terrible teams are more likely to amass draft picks, rather than trade them away.

Two, the Falcons just released several veterans. More could be cut loose. These players will need to be replaced, and the easiest method of re-stocking is through the draft. They need as many draft choices as they can get.

Three, the Falcons recently hired Tom Dimitroff as their GM. Dimitroff has schooled under Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli for the past 6 years as the Patriots director of college scouting. And the Patriots are known for trading back and acquiring additional picks. Not moving up by packaging picks. I expect Dimitroff will have a similar philosophy in Atlanta.

good stuff Lucky, I agree so its between Miami & Oakland. of those two which would be the more likely?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-21-2008   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston may not trade down, they might just take him there at 18.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
good stuff Lucky, I agree so its between Miami & Oakland. of those two which would be the more likely?
I can make the same case for Miami that I did for the Falcons. They're certain to look for as many draft picks as possible. And I would never try to get into the mind of Al Davis. Too spooky. Besides, I don't think Chris Williams is available at #18.
Old 02-21-2008   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that he's unlikely to be there at #18, but if he were, I would actually be disappointed if the Texans traded down and passed him up.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I can make the same case for Miami that I did for the Falcons. They're certain to look for as many draft picks as possible. And I would never try to get into the mind of Al Davis. Too spooky. Besides, I don't think Chris Williams is available at #18.
settled I'll take spooky over tuna. actually he might be thinking he could get over on the Texans more easily since he did it once before in the Bucannon trade

scenero 1 - trade Nnamdi Asomugha (franchised) for Houstons #1 pick (#18).

scenero 2 - trade 2nd (34th-560) + next years 2nd (should be around same number, maybe some improvement on their part guesstimate (42nd-480) a chance your willing to take because there is some added value with the Texans 18th pick worth 900 points.

in reality this is why its so hard to do trades. I beleive they do the coin flip for picks tomorrow @ the combine this will deceide the order between Atlanta, Oakland & KC. Big Al might just go nuts if he loses the coin toss, missing on McFadden (won't be know for sure until draft day process begins) takes DT Sedric Ellis @ #5 then wants OT Chris Williams #18.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-21-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

P.S. FWIW, I expect Williams to go to either Denver, Chicago, or Detroit in the 1st round. Before the Texans get a chance to draft or trade away his rights.
Yeah, I agree on the twos staying in Atlanta. I just do not see a trade out there I want for #18. A 2nd in 08 & 09 may be reasonable with Oakland, I'm just not sold on it especially if Stewart is there. I really, really like his speed combined with 235 lbs; that is a freight train with speed + he has handled the load in college. I would take chance or getting a LT and CB in later rounds.

#18 for Asomugha? Hmm. Need to think on that. I would want to see if Trufant or R. Gay could be had in FA first I think. If I knew I could get Forte in third and maybe T. Hill in fourth? You just don't know. Or Stewart @ #18, in 3rd you get T. Hill (you know you have a LT that might be gone in 4th) & in 4th maybe Trae Wiilaims if CB not in FA. Then you have a possible franchise RB an LT that should do well in ZBS under Gibbs and maybe lightning in a bottle twice in 4th.
Old 02-21-2008   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want DRC, Williams, or McKelvin @18
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

for the record I only want more draft picks not less

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-21-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
for the record I only want more draft picks not less
Well....everyone and I mean everyone is forcing a top fifteen tallent...Ryan into the top five... and say hotlanta does what I've been advocting since december...Takes McFaddin at the top instead of the 'top fifteen most ready in the class' QB; At eighteen they get their choice of the rest of the QBs or playmakers...or the o-lineman or the Dt from north carolina....or one of the CB/Dbs...presto change oh... two starters. There's scenario #1 lucky. I mean isn't that what San Deigo did a few drafts ago ? Took Ladanian and then Breese ?
Everyone has kinda forgot about/soured on Brohm.
Old 02-21-2008   #14
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

No wonder the Texans are looking at Williams...he's a big, athletic tackle. I really, really hope they give this athlete some serious consideration because he has all the tools to be a solid LT in the NFL. And, he's quick enough to play in the zone blocking scheme. Any multi-All SEC tackle is worth taking a hard look at.

IMHO, he's gong to be available when we pick at #18. Barring a spectacular/epic showing at the Combine, Jake Long and Ryan Clady will go ahead of him. That's really a no-brainer. However, this should be the year the Texans breakdown and draft an OT in the first round in order to keep Matt Schaub upright for a long time. More importantly, give Schaub more time in the pocket to operate. We have to upgrade if we're going to have a chance against the Colts, Titans and Jags d-line.
Old 02-21-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
per draft daddy
Well pardon me if I don't start dancing yet...what McClain was hinting at yesterday...and I'm assuming someone has actually told him this and he is not guessing like the rest of us...If Stewart is there they will take the guy..

And from my tree, that will be the point in time you can start marking the begining of the end of Kubes Texan's most excellent adventure. Anything after the first two rounds at OLT is not just wild blind haug luck if they hit, it'll be a miracle. Basically they'll be paying some slob for two years to prove he isn't tallented enough to hold the edge on the left. Seth Wand II.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-21-2008 at 11:29 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #16
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
per draft daddyQuote:
I'm actually afraid that Chicago, with their old tackles, will take Williams ahead of us at 14. Or if we traded down past Seattle, the Seahawks will consider taking him since they haven't found a suitable replacement since Hutchinson left. The guy's got talent, and other teams are starting to take notice that he won't be available in Rd. 2.
Old 02-22-2008   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Offical combine size is:
6'6" at 315 lbs

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #18
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I'm actually afraid that Chicago, with their old tackles, will take Williams ahead of us at 14. Or if we traded down past Seattle, the Seahawks will consider taking him since they haven't found a suitable replacement since Hutchinson left. The guy's got talent, and other teams are starting to take notice that he won't be available in Rd. 2.
With Bernard Berrian and Muhammed hitting FA at least for right now. It's very possible they might go WR with their first pick. I mean who do they have that's a vertical threat? Their QB position is dicey too. They say they're committed with Grossman...but IMO only cause they have so much invested. Common sense to me says Grossman's run should be over. While the defense there needs to get healthy the offense needs an Overhaul.

With Wharton signed and Gross tagged I'n wondering where Carolina stands on what to do. I thought I saw Keyshawn exploring a return. Would the panthers still hold his rights? Delhomme's future is uncertain as well.

If we want a LT one will be there at 18 that fits our needs and wouldn't be a stretch.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well pardon me if I don't start dancing yet...what McClain was hinting at yesterday...and I'm assuming someone has actually told him this and he is not guessing like the rest of us...If Stewart is there they will take the guy..

And from my tree, that will be the point in time you can start marking the begining of the end of Kubes Texan's most excellent adventure. Anything after the first two rounds at OLT is not just wild blind haug luck if they hit, it'll be a miracle. Basically they'll be paying some slob for two years to prove he isn't tallented enough to hold the edge on the left. Seth Wand II.
How do you evaluate Texas LT Tony Hills in ZBS?
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=8769

More info on Williams
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=25827
Old 02-22-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

I found this helpful concerning Hills fracture of fibula
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...339/31206.html

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read