Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2008   #1
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP
Default My 2008 Offseason Picks

I think there are some big possiblities this year in the offseason and they don't all cost the bank. For free agency I like the following:

OT Jordan Gross
CB Randall Gay
RB Derrick Ward
DE Justin Smith

I know we cant afford more than a couple of these guys, and Ward is RFA so I'm not sure what the pick requirement for him would be, but he played really strong in relief and showed some sparks of potential in our system. I think Jordan Gross could come in and have an impact on day one in any number of roles, he could cover RT if we move Winston to LT or could play swing for Saalam or Winston, maybe even win the starting LT spot outright. Justin smith is....well he is Justin Smith he has heart, he is quick, and with him at RDE Mario can play at his more comfortable LDE wich makes Weaver expendable(and his overpriced paycheck). Of the DB's available I like Gay the best, I think he has the most upside and the best athleticism.

With the draft I think BPA in round 1 or trade down and pick up a 2nd round pick. Space eating, run stuffing DT and DB's then O-line future prospects and RB's in later rounds.

The biggest problem I see this year is we have alot of free agents to either put under contract or release. I don't envy the front offices job this year, as each decision effects another decision somewhere else. I do feel positive about our Defense, not quite so positive about offense. but with Gibbs we may be able to turn that around too. Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My 2008 Offseason Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
I think there are some big possiblities this year in the offseason and they don't all cost the bank. For free agency I like the following:

OT Jordan Gross
Gross got the franchise tag, yesterday.
Quote:
The Panthers decided Tuesday to place the franchise tag on Jordan Gross, all but assuring the right tackle will remain in Carolina next season. After failing to agree on a long-term deal, the Panthers offered Gross a one-year contract for $7.45 million, which is the average salary of the top five highest-paid offensive linemen in the NFL from last season.
I don't know if Gross would have "cost the bank". But, he would have gotten a $50+ million contract. I don't think Smith or Gay would come cheaply, either. Ward? He's an OK backup. Not sure if he's worth chasing in free agency.
Old 02-20-2008   #3
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Gross got the franchise tag, yesterday.
I don't know if Gross would have "cost the bank". But, he would have gotten a $50+ million contract. I don't think Smith or Gay would come cheaply, either. Ward? He's an OK backup. Not sure if he's worth chasing in free agency.
sorry didnt hear about Gross getting the tag, I picked him purely as what I thought was the best O-line FA available, the others are mostly aging guys or mediocre. I also like Ryan Lilja, not sure what his status is though.
Old 02-21-2008   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Gross really worth top-5 OT money?? Not sure that is a great tag by the Panthers.

Gay will be in hot demand too, don't like our chances with him too.

Ditto with Justin Smith.

Derrick Ward is a possibility though, but is he an upgrade over what we have already??
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

lilja resigned with the colts
ward has a broken leg so no
and i think justin smith would be a bad signing (jmo).. we'd pay too much for what he offers..plus hes pretty old too
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
lilja resigned with the colts
ward has a broken leg so no
and i think justin smith would be a bad signing (jmo).. we'd pay too much for what he offers..plus hes pretty old too
Link please because I have not seen that reported anywhere.
Old 02-21-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It was on NFLN too.

Quote:
On Wednesday, Indianapolis signed guard Ryan Lilja to a five-year deal worth about $19 million, team owner Jim Irsay said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2008   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
ILJA SIGNING
Quote:
On Wednesday, the Colts signed starting guard Ryan Lilja to a five-year deal that team owner Jim Irsay said was worth about $19 million and included a signing bonus of roughly $4.5 million.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone give an evaluation of Gay? I thought of him as an average CB.
Old 02-21-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have this from NE site but he was across from Samuel. In Houston he'd be the guy. WOuld he be able to do that?
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.c...rbio&bio=28564
Old 02-21-2008   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can't give an evaluation, but an average CB would be an upgrade in our secondary.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

With this signing and the signing of Clark it could cost them the ability to sign Jake Scott or Ben Utecht.
Old 02-21-2008   #13
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Gay will be Jason David 2.0: System CB that will suck in man
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #14
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Well apparently I picked some good players but as usual some other team thought they were good too There are still a few decent FA DB's out there but I have a feeling Smith and company is not going to go after any top tier guys or even 2nd tier for that matter. As far as Ward goes I just liked his play at the end of the season. I truly believe without him we would be talking about a different super bowl winner, because the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs. I honestly don't see much in the FA market that's worth going after. Overpaying for quality people is one thing, but overpaying for 2nd tier is sinful. Trufant would be next on my list for DB and Noone would be next on my list for RB. Fargas technically would be in the mix but he has never impressed me. I'd rather take Mendenhal in the draft than blow money on him. Anyone heard anything on Taylor? I think we have plenty of 2nd tier talent in RB allready on the team. But we need upgrades/training on the OL to get the most out of them. sheesh next on the DB list for FA's is Travis Fisher or Drayton Florence. The safety pool is pretty big, but I doubt we spend any money on a safety, there are too many available every year in the draft. I like Madieu Williams though.

apparently the Seahawks franchised Trufant, yikes they are dropping like flies this year.
Old 02-21-2008   #15
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

With the rise in the salary cap combined with tagging players it's becoming a less and less reality, unless someone really is hellbent, bigger time players hitting the FA market.

Teams like our own are figuring out the earlier you guys guys on contract extensions the better off you are long term. The only way to build a team now will be through the draft and supplementing every once in while with a big name that makes it to FA and depth with smaller FA.

Utecht would be smart to take a decent contract from the Colts.....remember way back when Marcus Pollard was considered a good TE. What has he done since leaving that offense headed by Manning? Nothing.

Fargas got resigned.

There is no way after the Schaub hit this team even sniffs at Florence.

Far as Derrick Ward....I wouldn't mind giving him a look after we see what happens after his leg heals.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Yeah, free agency seems to be a dry hole this season. We should still be ok with a very good draft.
Old 02-22-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Is Gross really worth top-5 OT money?? Not sure that is a great tag by the Panthers.

Gay will be in hot demand too, don't like our chances with him too.

Ditto with Justin Smith.

Derrick Ward is a possibility though, but is he an upgrade over what we have already??
That's not the point Kiwi...the point is they are getting it.

So you have the choice of drafting them or getting yourself into cap hell for bidding on them. The Steelers have left Starks dangeling....he could be had for an exorbadant offer. The upgrade would be marginal at best and cap foolish at worst. Dallas has left Adams twisting in the wind also...but know going in they wouldn't have done that with out thinking about it long and hard for a while. So the big question is why did they do that ? Could it be that Dallas feels at the bottom of the first if they let him walk because of an outrageous bid, they could find a tallent of equal or better value ? we'll find out in the next few weeks.
Old 02-22-2008   #18
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think with all that has been done with the franchise tags I think our biggest target should be Drayton Florence at CB or DE Justin Smith.
Old 02-22-2008   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

DeShuan Foster?
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
DeShuan Foster?
I'll pass!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read