Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-19-2008   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Flanagan and Hogdon out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've been told that the Texans are pretty high on Dan Stevenson. He isn't a center but he is an interior lineman with great feet and good size (6'5" 300).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I know this is kinda old, but do y'all think it was just a coinkadink that Chucky Okobi and Dan Stevenson were signed 4 days after Gibbs was brought on? Or do y'all think Gibbs was the one wanting to bring them in?
nope, no coincidence...Stevenson is a guy known for great feet, long arms but not the strongest guy (sounds like a zbs guy to me).

here is an interview I found....sounds like a high character guy to me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #22
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nope, no coincidence...Stevenson is a guy known for great feet, long arms but not the strongest guy (sounds like a zbs guy to me).

here is an interview I found....sounds like a high character guy to me.
Kid is a real bible-pounder isn't he ? But that's usually a good thing for football players. Gives 'em focus, dedication, and devotion to the team.
And athletically he does look like a candidate for Gibb's system. I googled
him just now and found he even played volleyball in HS, probably another sign of quickness and coordination.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #23
steds
Veteran

Rep Power: 330 steds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respectedsteds is a quality contributor and well respected

How the hell do you pronounce Hodgdon?
steds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #24
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steds View Post
How the hell do you pronounce Hodgdon?
Palillo was saying it like Hodge - Done. He's usually pretty good about how to pronounce a guy's name.
Old 02-19-2008   #25
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Palillo was saying it like Hodge - Done. He's usually pretty good about how to pronounce a guy's name.
I find Charley pompous but bright so he is probable right.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #26
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

It sounds like we have enough guys for the center spot, but I'd like to throw one more name into the mix. Seth McKinney. He's played center/guard & is an UFA. It's always possible that big brother could be putting the hard sell on behind the scenes.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why people are surprised about Hodgdon. He got cut last year before the season started and only got brought back after all the interior line injuries.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2008   #28
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Both of these guys played hard for the Texans, but the center position is one of the top 5 positions on the team that absolutely needs an upgrade. After Steve went down, there was a notable decline in the line play with Flanagan at center. I had hoped to see White get more snaps at center, but he just got injured at the wrong time. White has earned the right to compete for a starting spot at center or guard. These boards got me excited about the prospect of Eslinger and I thought Brisiel intrugues me as well.

Keeping Flanagan would have been the conservative move and cutting him is going to allow someone else to come in and improve this unit.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #29
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Per 94.5, also stated LB Shawn Barber released.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #30
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Kid is a real bible-pounder isn't he ? But that's usually a good thing for football players. Gives 'em focus, dedication, and devotion to the team.
And athletically he does look like a candidate for Gibb's system. I googled
him just now and found he even played volleyball in HS, probably another sign of quickness and coordination.
Not only is that usually good for football players but it is also good for any person
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #31
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He gets pushed around too easily in the little I've seen him play.

I've been told that the Texans are pretty high on Dan Stevenson. He isn't a center but he is an interior lineman with great feet and good size (6'5" 300).
Lance Z was saying, in his chat, that the Texans are also still high on Butler and Frye.

Quote:
Is there any chance that Butler developes into a starting LT under Gibbs' eye?
Lance_Zierlein: Yes. He and Brandon Frye are two to keep your eye on.
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...b_18_chat.html
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Lance Z was saying, in his chat, that the Texans are also still high on Butler and Frye.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...b_18_chat.html
Good questions in there hoth when you got the chance.

Was that guy serious asking about a 1st and 3rd for Barber?!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Good questions in there hoth when you got the chance.

Was that guy serious asking about a 1st and 3rd for Barber?!
I think he was.

Thanks, the Bennet question was a throw away just to get it posted. There were several good questions posted.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Things can be split up as June 1st cuts (teams can pre-cut two players now and later declare them June 1st cuts) but barring that:

Flanigan--$1 mil in dead money, $1.5 mil in cap space created.
Putzier--$920k in dead money, about $500k in cap space created.
My guesstimate was apprx $2m + some on Shawn Barber. The cap space can keep going up IMO.
Old 02-20-2008   #35
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My guesstimate was apprx $2m + some on Shawn Barber. The cap space can keep going up IMO.
Barber will have two years of prorated bonus at $700k per year vs. a 2008 cap hit if he had been retained of $1.85 mil.
Old 02-20-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Barber will have two years of prorated bonus at $700k per year vs. a 2008 cap hit if he had been retained of $1.85 mil.
Do you see in other "likely to go candidates" that would help the cap? I'm thinking Jordan Black and possibly Ahman Green at a later date. I heard on one of the radio stations that cutting Green would result in a cap savings of $1.5m. I know I am alone in this, but Lance Briggs and Trufant could be signed and still pay drafted guys. We have a lot of unsigned FA but I am not too excited about bring many back and Smith has worked wonders bringing in cheap but solid back ups. How does this sound?

Stewart at #18
Tony Hills LT in 3rd
Quentin Demps FS 4th
Josh Barrett SS Arizona State 6'2" 225 4.55

Trufant CB
Lance Briggs OLB

The only Texans FA I'm interested in is Breuner TE, Andre Davis WR, Will Demps and Turk. All have to be reasonably priced. I'd tender Anthony Maddox and CC Brown and hope someone signs and we get draft picks.
Old 02-20-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you see in other "likely to go candidates" that would help the cap? I'm thinking Jordan Black and possibly Ahman Green at a later date.
Don't know about likely to go, but some players who are not certain to be retained and who would free up cap room include: Greenwood, Black, Faggins, Fletcher, and Zgonina.

Quote:
I heard on one of the radio stations that cutting Green would result in a cap savings of $1.5m.
Just an FYI--the radio guys are generally horrible about the cap. In Green's case it depends on whether they would designate him as a June 1st cut.

Regular cut--$3.75 dead money--$1.3 mil in cap space freed up.
June 1st cut--$1.25 dead money 2008--$3.8 mil cap space freed up in 2008--$2.5 mil dead money in 2009.
Old 02-20-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Don't know about likely to go, but some players who are not certain to be retained and who would free up cap room include: Greenwood, Black, Faggins, Fletcher, and Zgonina.

Just an FYI--the radio guys are generally horrible about the cap. In Green's case it depends on whether they would designate him as a June 1st cut.

Regular cut--$3.75 dead money--$1.3 mil in cap space freed up.
June 1st cut--$1.25 dead money 2008--$3.8 mil cap space freed up in 2008--$2.5 mil dead money in 2009.
Wow! $3.8m is a pretty good player in FA. The deadline we have to meet cap is when? It would have to be prior to game 1 but I do not know date.
Old 02-20-2008   #39
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow! $3.8m is a pretty good player in FA. The deadline we have to meet cap is when? It would have to be prior to game 1 but I do not know date.
I don't know, that 2.5 million dead cap next year would be a pain. I may be alone in this, but I'd like to see Green in a Texans uni this season. The cap room might be able to help us, but IMO it's not worth screwing us over next year. Plus, I think that Green can contribute, IF he stays healthy, and I know, that's a pretty big assumption since Green is always injured. I just see positives of keeping Green outweighes the positives of releasing him and losing all that cap space.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stewart at #18
Tony Hills LT in 3rd
Quentin Demps FS 4th
Josh Barrett SS Arizona State 6'2" 225 4.55

Trufant CB
Lance Briggs OLB

The only Texans FA I'm interested in is Breuner TE, Andre Davis WR, Will Demps and Turk. All have to be reasonably priced. I'd tender Anthony Maddox and CC Brown and hope someone signs and we get draft picks.
I don't think we'd take a strong safety after taking a FS in the 4th and knowing we took a SS in the 5th or was it 6th round last year. Plus you've got a Brandon Mitchell from last year that got injured, Glenn Earl, etc. If we want to address SS we need to do it early, or we are just canceling out an old draft pick.

Demps would be a nice addition at FS. We've never drafted a free safety before. Check that, we drafted Jamaal Lord out of Nebraska as a FS prospect. Too bad he was a QB in college, and did not contribute. We've drafted our share of strong safeties: Ramon Walker, Glenn Earl, CC Brown and then this past year we drafted Brandon Harrison.

Glenn Earl in the fourth round is the highest selected safety of this franchise. CC Brown in the 6th round was the best value, and he was the most productive. I know that's painfully true on all three accounts.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read